Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  2   3   4  5

Sep 28, 2026 - 11:45:48 AM

2 posts since 9/21/2026

quote:
Originally posted by The Violin Beautiful

Believe it or not, he was a classically trained pianist and choral singer before getting a degree in jazz keyboard and still takes an active interest in Renaissance polyphonic singing when not performing or writing Celtic music. Formal instruction and a classical background must not have done harm.


While working as a restaurant server I discovered that every American has a different definition of "crispy bacon" and I think the same is true for "classically trained". Some players have three years of middle school orchestra experience and others session players will call that "classically trained", since they didn't learn at their grandfather's knee. I for one do have a degree in music, but all of my "classical" learning was done in parallel with local musicians of all type and variety throughout my childhood and young adulthood. We're lucky to have such a wealth of musical experiences at our fingertips, and young people have now access to literal TOMES of videos and tune books so the distinction will likely grow even fuzzier. 

Sep 28, 2026 - 1:58:52 PM
likes this

7125 posts since 8/7/2009

"How does a player play freely?"

Well, truth be told - it's really not as hard as it sounds. In fact, there's been several times through the years I've played freely. I was told - it was good exposure.

ha... Then folks started warning me - stories about folks who died from exposure.

So, I stopped.

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  2   3   4  5

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Fiddle Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

8.203125E-02