Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  36   37   38  39

Oct 16, 2022 - 2:24:42 PM
likes this

10721 posts since 3/19/2009

THIS is the month of beautiful colorful leaves and crowded streets in Nashville, Indiana where Larry and I have been going busking almost every day.. Tips are plentiful, temps are cool but not cold and this is the last hurrah before weather too cold to busk in sets in.. I'm very proud of Larry. He busks with a concertina and over the past year has 'upped' his act and his tips are increasing such that yesterday, for the first time he out earned me by $1.... (I'll get even).. I asked him what he has been doing differently and he said he just tries to LOOK like he is having the best time of his life while busking.. (Once, an acquaintance commented that Larry looked Sedated).. Larry has come a long way with his busking act.. As for me, I think I do better when I'm not wearing sunglasses! The glasses hinder people from reading my face..Yep. My good looks count. After busking today we all went to the Ferguson House Beer Garden and the manager asked for a photo of Harry sipping an IPA soze she could put it on their Facebook page ( check it out... I'll look for Hangout Member comments..) Harry doesn't drink much so I was willing to share.
Have I mentioned lately that I love to go busking?

It is nice to see that Larry and I are not the only buskers in town.  There is this one guy, a banjo player, who always does his busking in an out of the way corner. His Sound draws people to go see what is happening.  I suspect he'd do better tip-wise if he went somewhere else but he seems content where he is...just 30 feet from where stop for a beer on our way home. I always mosey down and give him a tip.  Nice guy. 

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 10/16/2022 14:34:22

Oct 19, 2022 - 3:22:18 PM
likes this

Just when I thought the season for busking was over... Yesterday I went busking in Nashville because it was supposed to reach 49 degrees...about as cold as I can stand..but the temps did NOT go up and I wound up busking in 43 degree temps.. I froze, but the crowd was nice and the tips big so I stayed.. I won't trust the weather channel as much in the future..
TODAY it hit 52 so I went downtown not expecting much, just a chance to get out of the house. Well, as busking goes, "another day another story''.. About 40 feet from me sat this drunk, crazy guy who was talking to himself and gesturing to invisible beings... No problem. Eventually, a homeless friend, Bradley ( all I can do is call him "loony'' because his diagnosis must be very complicated).. Bradley wanted to hang out and chat. As soon as he started talking, the drunk guy came over and for reasons unknown to me, started punching Bradley.. This went on 3 feet from me.. I tried to calm them, a passerby tried to calm them and two people called the police. The police arrived within a minute (two cars) and in about 15 minutes the event was over. Poor Bradley, was NOT the aggressor. So. I packed up, walked two blocks and met my son for a beer... Again, another day, another story.

Oct 20, 2022 - 12:26:14 PM
likes this

A comment that I hear often, (Like, every fricken time I busk in a crowd) is "Hey, who plays better, him or you!" and I don't EVER< EVER recall a person who said that leaving a tip. It is 99% older men who say it. I just keep playing but it happens so often that I'm wondering exactly what the mindset is that makes people say that same, darned thing over and over and over ...the YEARS.. Suggestions?

Oct 20, 2022 - 1:10:07 PM
likes this

6085 posts since 9/26/2008

Old guys like to think they are funny wink

Oct 20, 2022 - 1:16:19 PM

Jimhand

USA

141 posts since 4/6/2012

My answer would be, “ why me of course, I taught him him everything he knows”!

Oct 20, 2022 - 1:36:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimhand

My answer would be, “ why me of course, I taught him him everything he knows”!

Yes, Jim..I either say nothing or say something like "He's nothing without me."  But when people make such comments and just walk by without tipping, I just tend to ignore them..I know they mean well but Jeez...it gets old!

The mysterious part is, how is it they are learning from to all say the same thing?

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 10/20/2022 13:39:20

Oct 20, 2022 - 1:37:53 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan

Old guys like to think they are funny wink

I know.. I've caught myself saying things similar on other topics..so in a way I understand... Just find it interesting in an irritating way.!!!

Oct 20, 2022 - 2:52:42 PM
likes this

Jimhand

USA

141 posts since 4/6/2012

Yes…that is strange.

Oct 20, 2022 - 4:00:42 PM
likes this

2869 posts since 10/22/2007

"And I'll bet you won't spend a nickel to find out."

and I he stops:
"I'll bet you wouldn't pay a Nickel to see a mouse eat a bail of hay."

Edited by - farmerjones on 10/20/2022 16:01:53

Nov 7, 2022 - 1:31:33 PM
like this

This is a special story today.. Yesterday, a Sunday, Larry and I went busking at a busy touristy place.. Much to my surprise, I didn't do well tip-wise, and Larry's tips were Way more than mine.. I Do like it when Larry does well, but was a little perplexed as to why I hadn't done well..
Ok.. Today MONDAY... Originally I had planned on Not  going busking at all BUT a little 'voice' told me that I should go anyway.. So, from past experiences I know to listen if that little voice tells me to do something.. ( It really IS an internal urging that is strong.. I've learned to recognize its importance..).. When I arrive at the venue, I had few expectations.. maybe $30-$40.. you know, gas and a little extra, and it was a beautiful day so I was glad to be out busking..The crowd was light but after two hours I had taken in $130 !!!...In one way I was surprise, but considering that there was a little 'voice' ..I wasn't surprised.. Of course the little voice could have taken me because it might have wanted me to meet a certain person, or been available for a particular event... or in this case MAYBE to just help me balance out the poor day I'd had the day before.. I don't know, and I'll Never know.. but I Do know that if I'm being directed to go in a particular direction...... go in that direction!!

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 11/07/2022 13:47:50

Dec 7, 2022 - 2:07:23 PM

doryman

USA

396 posts since 2/10/2020

Well, I psuedo-busked today. I'm down in New Orleans for work and I brought my fiddle. I'm staying in a hotel, so it's difficult to play inside. Luckily it's 75 and sunny outside. I went to down to a park on the banks of the Mississippi, right across from the Paddlewheeler, City of New Orlean, sat on park bench and played for about an hour. I was hoping to channel a little John Harford! I didn't have my fiddle case open, so no place to throw money, but everything else was in place. I picked a bench that was somewhat off the beaten path, but still plenty of folks went by. I think the city has some pretty strict busking laws now (not like when I used to live here back in the day), so I didn't want to get myself in any kind of trouble.

Dec 7, 2022 - 3:40:54 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by doryman

Well, I psuedo-busked today. I'm down in New Orleans for work and I brought my fiddle. I'm staying in a hotel, so it's difficult to play inside. Luckily it's 75 and sunny outside. I went to down to a park on the banks of the Mississippi, right across from the Paddlewheeler, City of New Orlean, sat on park bench and played for about an hour. I was hoping to channel a little John Harford! I didn't have my fiddle case open, so no place to throw money, but everything else was in place. I picked a bench that was somewhat off the beaten path, but still plenty of folks went by. I think the city has some pretty strict busking laws now (not like when I used to live here back in the day), so I didn't want to get myself in any kind of trouble.

Good for you.. Maybe you'll find the urge to open your case next time.. I did some reading about their local permit requirements and couldn't make heads or tails out of what was being said.  I Guess that if you are in an out of the way, non touristy local just busk until someone says you can't.. !! Hey, did you try WALKING across the river? I hear the the water levels are very lowlaugh

Dec 7, 2022 - 7:36:19 PM

doryman

USA

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver
quote:

Good for you.. Maybe you'll find the urge to open your case next time.. I did some reading about their local permit requirements and couldn't make heads or tails out of what was being said.  I Guess that if you are in an out of the way, non touristy local just busk until someone says you can't.. !! Hey, did you try WALKING across the river? I hear the the water levels are very lowlaugh

Thanks for looking at the regs. It is confusing. I know from conversations with other buskers, that it's not as free wheeling as it once was.  

Hey, I have a question for you, seeking your expert opinion.   If I'm walking through downtown New Orleans and a run across a busker playing some guitar or the like...would it be a faux pas to ask them if I could sit in a play some fiddle with them for a few songs?  Maybe if threw an Andrew Jackson in the guitar case?  Today, I stopped to listen to a guitar playing  singing some simple country blues songs and I was very tempted to ask to join in.  

Dec 8, 2022 - 5:17:33 AM
likes this

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver
quote:

Thanks for looking at the regs. It is confusing. I know from conversations with other buskers, that it's not as free wheeling as it once was.  

Hey, I have a question for you, seeking your expert opinion.   If I'm walking through downtown New Orleans and a run across a busker playing some guitar or the like...would it be a faux pas to ask them if I could sit in a play some fiddle with them for a few songs?  Maybe if threw an Andrew Jackson in the guitar case?  Today, I stopped to listen to a guitar playing  singing some simple country blues songs and I was very tempted to ask to join in.  

I've had that happen often.. Musicians would ask to join but Usually, they really didn't play OT music like I do and sometimes just virtually had no talent!  I find it distracting.  If  we do play for a while I point out that the tips will still be mine!!  I have never asked if I could join a working busker.   Having said all that, I have frequently invited kids to join me and they ADD to the tips and fun of busking...I even share tips that come in while they play along, but they don't usually play for long..I do like to encourage kids to busk.

Dec 8, 2022 - 8:12:38 AM
like this

Old Scratch

Canada

1087 posts since 6/22/2016
Online Now

Some buskers will welcome you; others won't. It's hit and miss. To avoid awkwardness or hurt feelings, I would word my request in a way that won't be hard to rebuff, something like, "Can I sit in with you, or would rather just play alone?" - so that you're acknowledging that wanting to play alone is a valid option, and doesn't require justification. Some people are busking in the first place because they literally "don't play well with others", and have no interest in trying.

Dec 8, 2022 - 8:51:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Old Scratch

Some buskers will welcome you; others won't. It's hit and miss. To avoid awkwardness or hurt feelings, I would word my request in a way that won't be hard to rebuff, something like, "Can I sit in with you, or would rather just play alone?" - so that you're acknowledging that wanting to play alone is a valid option, and doesn't require justification. Some people are busking in the first place because they literally "don't play well with others", and have no interest in trying.

Profound observation... like it..

Dec 9, 2022 - 2:46:20 PM

doryman

USA

quote:
Originally posted by Old Scratch

Some people are busking in the first place because they literally "don't play well with others", and have no interest in trying.

True that!

Jan 11, 2023 - 2:06:46 PM

The temp hit 49 today and that is close enough to 50 that I thought I'd "Give 'er a go"...I was pleasantly surprised .. Several people who knew me and hadn't seen me for several months seemed happy to see me and Harry and left healthy tips.. Also, I've noticed that the Arab college students are generous tippers.. The actual tunes I played didn't seem to be the attractant, but rather, just seeing a Hare (rabbit to most people) playing a fiddle was a pleasant surprise.. First busking experience of 2023 !
I headed for a favorite corner but just as I arrived I saw a down and out guy holding a sign and sitting right where I wanted to perform, so I went catty-corner at the intersection and fiddled in a nondescript place..but had a wonderful time anyway.

Jan 19, 2023 - 3:16:59 PM
likes this

I'm a busker.. Remember that. On our vacation a few years ago, and after a flight from one Peruvian city to another, we got off the small plane in the middle of NOWHERE.. walked from the plane to a tiny terminal and THERE in the terminal was a group of about 5 guys playing pan flutes and wearing indigenous clothing.. Maybe I should have tipped but it was just a little overwhelming and we WERE the only passersby... I felt trapped.. ...didn't tip..
On another day we exited a museum and while leaving by the only path available ....was another group of 5 or so men in local clothing and these guys 'upped their game' by playing Beatles tunes on pan flutes... Again, I didn't tip..
I should have, probably.......Apparently most people are not enthralled by guys playing pan flutes... and from my experiences, people aren't all that enthralled by guys fiddling with puppets either... Sigh.......

Suffice it to say that touristy places  are geared to take money from visitors.  I get that.  Everywhere we went in Peru people wanted money..... Next time I'll take a wad of ones.... and will probably sleep better........Life is tough in some areas of the world.

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 01/19/2023 15:19:17

Jan 20, 2023 - 3:59:44 AM
like this

Erockin

USA

232 posts since 9/3/2022

No a real busking story but, in my dream, I was busking in a Pittsburgh bar with Sam Bush and everything I played, something was wrong.
Ex. I dropped my pick. Next song, I didn't have a strap. Then, my buddy Johnny was there with my wife's nice upright bass sitting on the ground. A man came over and picked it up as if he were going to play it. Nope, he walked off with it in some back room of this shady bar.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to continue this dream jam with Sam. Eventually, I had to end the jam and go find my bass...I wondered through hallways and the bass was gone...Sam was gone and the dream ended on a playground with a bunch of young kids fighting.

Life is tough in some areas of the world...

Jan 20, 2023 - 4:33:13 AM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by Erockin

No a real busking story but, in my dream, I was busking in a Pittsburgh bar with Sam Bush and everything I played, something was wrong.
Ex. I dropped my pick. Next song, I didn't have a strap. Then, my buddy Johnny was there with my wife's nice upright bass sitting on the ground. A man came over and picked it up as if he were going to play it. Nope, he walked off with it in some back room of this shady bar.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to continue this dream jam with Sam. Eventually, I had to end the jam and go find my bass...I wondered through hallways and the bass was gone...Sam was gone and the dream ended on a playground with a bunch of young kids fighting.

Life is tough in some areas of the world...

I think those are called 'frustration' dreams.. Hope your world gets better soon..laugh

Jan 20, 2023 - 5:05:12 AM
like this

2869 posts since 10/22/2007

To dovetail with Lee's vacation story:
Years ago we got into cruises. I used to take my fiddle on cruises, for those days at sea. There was always a talent show on the last night aboard. So I always entered. Why? There's a talent show tryouts. I've met several fine folks, but one time I met a fellow jammer. I think he was from Missouri? We were so happy to find each other. We'd take over side rooms, and conference rooms, dotted all over the ship. I even forgot his name, but there's been tons of jams where I never knew anyone's name. It's one of those things that doesn't matter. Good, good memories.

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  36   37   38  39

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories