Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  33   34   35  36  37   38   Next Page   Last Page (38) 

Apr 28, 2022 - 11:39:14 AM
likes this

10399 posts since 3/19/2009

Sometimes I have fun confounding people !! "Hey, I Love your new sunglasses" (they didn't realize that the little stick-on tag is still on the lens... "Hey, your name is Michael, right?" The guys shoe tongue was sticking out and his name was printed on it..!! "Good to get a tip from a Navy man"......(the cap)........"Happy birthday, Mam." ( person next to them is holding a large birthday balloon).........."Good to see out of towners from Indianapolis.".. (everyone is wearing Pacers shirts..) .. My best one is when people are speaking a language other than English and I say I can tell Exactly where they are from and also say that I'm NEVER wrong..They wait while I consult with Harry Hare.. and together we tell them that they came from.......ACROSS THE STREET... always gets a laugh..

On a more serious note....Today I watched a young man sitting on a concrete planter just across the street..He was having an animated conversation/argument/debate angrily... I watched him for 90 minutes.. He was there when I arrived and he was there when I departed.. He was also alone, obviously trying to work something out with people that I couldn't see....I thought about his parents, whoever they are, and I thought about a relative of mine, and I thought about the times I walked around my neighborhood at night, crying, talking to myself, trying to come up with words to say to someone who wasn't with me...My heart went out to him..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 04/28/2022 11:43:48

May 1, 2022 - 10:49:39 AM
like this

We finally scored BIG while busking today.. We got a $1,000,000 tip.. Here is a photo to prove it:

May 1, 2022 - 2:57:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver

We finally scored BIG while busking today.. We got a $1,000,000 tip.. Here is a photo to prove it:

My lovely wife says that it does NOT have a water mark, but rather, a coffee cup stain.. WHatever.. Maybe the bank teller won't notice.. I'll go to one that is in training..

May 1, 2022 - 3:17:55 PM
likes this

DougD

USA

10783 posts since 12/2/2007
Online Now

Maybe let Harry try and break it. Might be safer.

Edited by - DougD on 05/01/2022 15:18:30

May 1, 2022 - 3:27:25 PM

I'll try to 'launder' it at my daughter's coffee shop.. Lots of new baristas there.. They won't have a clue..

May 1, 2022 - 3:38 PM
likes this

DougD

USA

10783 posts since 12/2/2007
Online Now

Your daughter's place must be pretty successful if they keep change for a million in the cash drawer. Of course some of that exotic coffee can be pricey, as I learned in another thread.

May 3, 2022 - 12:29:47 PM
likes this

So, Doug, based on the price of gold, a bag of coffee is worth about 4.3 Million.... She usually has 6 or 7 bags on hand..Should be easy to break a little One Million note!!laugh  Of course, one good cup of Needmore Roasters Coffee is priceless!!

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 05/03/2022 12:33:58

May 3, 2022 - 12:37:21 PM
like this

Onto other things.. Yesterday, a pretty little girl of about 9 was wearing the most beautiful pair of red slippers.. I told her that if she clicked her heels together, she would wind up in Kansas... Her parents got it, and laughed. She had Zero idea what I was talking about.. ( she may have figured me out!!)

May 7, 2022 - 12:46 PM

At 76 years old it is often hard to know what is politically correct in these changing times.. In the past when busking, if one member of a couple gave a nice tip I say, 'Thank you for that nice tip but be sure you saved enough money to take him/her out for dinner.".. Well, lately, the OTHER person's gender has been getting harder and harder to distinguish by hair styles/clothes..... Is it a 'he' or a 'she'?? So, now I say, '"Thanks for the tip but be sure you saved enough money to take 'someone/them' for dinner." My daughter says that she has hired numerous baristas who don't like to be referred by anything but 'They'....I understand it, really I do.. but it is hard to remember what is the latest politically correct response. Old habits are hard to break..

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
May 7, 2022 - 4:38:41 PM
like this

WyoBob

USA

424 posts since 5/16/2019

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver

At 76 years old it is often hard to know what is politically correct in these changing times.. In the past when busking, if one member of a couple gave a nice tip I say, 'Thank you for that nice tip but be sure you saved enough money to take him/her out for dinner.".. Well, lately, the OTHER person's gender has been getting harder and harder to distinguish by hair styles/clothes..... Is it a 'he' or a 'she'?? So, now I say, '"Thanks for the tip but be sure you saved enough money to take 'someone/them' for dinner." My daughter says that she has hired numerous baristas who don't like to be referred by anything but 'They'....I understand it, really I do.. but it is hard to remember what is the latest politically correct response. Old habits are hard to break..

I live in the sticks and don't interact with a lot of folks but did have occasion a few months ago down in Denver to meet one of my daughter's girl friends who's "significant other" had a preference.  My daughter told me this because she knows that I'm kinda "backwards" when it comes to the new norm and didn't want me to embarrass myself (not likely to happen).  The person's name was Chase so, I just used the person's name.

If I encounter a similar situation where I foul up and the person gets in my face about using the proper pronoun, I will try to accommodate but will also add, "and, btw,  I prefer to be called "your royal highness".

May 13, 2022 - 1:20:24 PM
like this

For those of you who have followed my busking escapades a little more closely than most.. there was this guy, William, who lived at the mission for a couple of years. Good tipper.. Verbal disability, physical disability and is seen in all parts of town regularly, just shuffling along in oversized clothing.. ( love him)... Yesterday he stopped by and gave Harry a tip.. I asked how he was doing and he said he now has a studio apartment close by, found by a caseworker .. I asked if it was nice. He said, "It better be.. $700 a month" He asked if I knew anybody who had a pickup truck to help him move some stuff.. I offered to help him Right at that moment..with my little Forester.. So I packed up Harry Hare and William and I made two round trip visits to the storage locker that William kept his stuff in for the past couple of years.. Much to my surprise, his 5/10 locker was FILLED to the brim with stuffed animals and stuff that one would buy at a yard sale and when they got home would say to themselves..."What was I thinking?" Anyway..to William this stuff was his life.. The scores of stuffed animals all had names and I suspect that they are his Family...This experience with William would never have blessed me had I not been a busker..As we were traveling from apartment to locker, I realized that this unusual man who I'd see all over town was now in my car!!! and I was getting to know him.. That  realization made my heart grow one size larger, I'm sure..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 05/13/2022 13:22:37

May 13, 2022 - 3:30:35 PM
likes this

WyoBob

USA

424 posts since 5/16/2019

Lee,

What a great story and nice thing to do!

First class, all the way! 

You made Harry (and the rest of us) proud.

May 13, 2022 - 3:37:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WyoBob

Lee,

What a great story and nice thing to do!

First class, all the way! 

You made Harry (and the rest of us) proud.

Harry got all excited when he saw hundreds of stuffed animals.. I think he was looking for relatives!!! 

May 15, 2022 - 2:22:48 PM
like this

Busking today, three ladies walked by and smiled at me and Harry ..One lady seemed to have her eyes SEWN shut..(looked like that at least to me)and she clearly had her teeth removed... I ask them to bring her over ..I said I KNOW she can't see where that music is coming from that there is a rabbit puppet involved with the music..I asked her to came close and I guided her hand and let her feel Harry's ears, buck teeth and violin.. Then as we played music she had her hand gently on his fiddle bow and could feel it go up and down. She was squatting down in front of Harry  during this and the joy in her face was palpable.. She seemed so happy. She said that she had to have her eyes removed but at one time could see and we agreed that while she has memories of sight in her head, some memories don't require eyes..to see..She was the highlight of our busking day..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 05/15/2022 14:24:23

May 15, 2022 - 3:03:10 PM
like this

Someone has suggested that I had done a good deed regarding the blind lady mentioned in the previous post.. I suspect that Any of you who had been there would have done the same..BTW, I have a blind friend who when approaching (she can tell it is me by my music)  always says, "Good to see you".. and in some ways she may have better 'sight' than people who I know but who just walk by.. I think we all could take a lesson from these wonderful people..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 05/15/2022 15:08:12

May 17, 2022 - 10:39:56 AM
likes this

Sometimes I tell myself that I'm going to stop posting busking stories because I think that maybe I'm 'pushing' myself on members.. But these little incidents are so special to me.. that I want to share them with you anyway. Here is what happened today:
Today a particularly intimidating homeless person walked by me with a blanket over his shoulder.. It is 80 degrees out.. I've always kept my distance from him because he is usually talking angrily to invisible people.. Just as he walked by me, a passerby offered him a dollar, probably because he looked like he could us one! Then she gave me a dollar tip. The homeless guy took his dollar and smiled as he seemed to admire it and he held the bill to his heart. As he walked down the sidewalk he kept looking at the bill and then would place it over his heart again and again..I suspected that he had a special plan for that dollar.......
About 30 minutes later he approached me and Harry....and gave us a dollar..............and a bandaid........
People can be so unpredictable...They humble me, for sure.

May 17, 2022 - 12:41:48 PM
like this

doryman

USA

352 posts since 2/10/2020

I like your busking stories, Lee. I'd like to busk some day. A couple of times a week, I have to drive my son up north about 30 miles for an hour-long swim practice. If the weather is nice, I'll sit in the park adjacent to the pool and play my fiddle while I wait for him. So, I guess I'm half way to busking. People have stopped to compliment me at times, but all that proves is that this particular small town is full of nice people. Maybe one day I'll work up the nerve to open up my fiddle case while I'm playing and throw a little seed money in there.

May 17, 2022 - 12:57:30 PM
like this

5998 posts since 8/7/2009

It apparent to me that your "gift" goes way beyond just fiddling and manipulating a puppet... and blessing a good number of lives in the process.

Add to that - telling your stories here inspires others - to at least dream of doing something like that too. Who knows, a few of us may just take that leap of faith and try to work a little bit of that magic into our lives too.

KUDOS to you Lee!

May 17, 2022 - 1:16:13 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by tonyelder

It apparent to me that your "gift" goes way beyond just fiddling and manipulating a puppet... and blessing a good number of lives in the process.

Add to that - telling your stories here inspires others - to at least dream of doing something like that too. Who knows, a few of us may just take that leap of faith and try to work a little bit of that magic into our lives too.

KUDOS to you Lee!

Aw, shucks.. Now that you are retired I'll look for you in town.. but not on my corner..!!laugh  Hey, you don't need a puppet.. Just be yersef!!!  My buddy, Larry.. plays a concertina and does quite well.. I've offered to MAKE a concertina playing  puppet for him but he has refused my  offer... 

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 05/17/2022 13:20:51

May 17, 2022 - 1:17:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by doryman

I like your busking stories, Lee. I'd like to busk some day. A couple of times a week, I have to drive my son up north about 30 miles for an hour-long swim practice. If the weather is nice, I'll sit in the park adjacent to the pool and play my fiddle while I wait for him. So, I guess I'm half way to busking. People have stopped to compliment me at times, but all that proves is that this particular small town is full of nice people. Maybe one day I'll work up the nerve to open up my fiddle case while I'm playing and throw a little seed money in there.

OPEN THAT CASE and 'bait' it with a couple of bills...!!!  I can tell by the numbers that people read the posts but it is nice to Hear from those people from time to time soze I can tell if they like what they read.. I'm a HAM and love the attention..or I'd not be a busker!!!

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 05/17/2022 13:18:08

May 24, 2022 - 12:58:55 PM

Such a perfect day to go busking.. 70 degrees, sunny and a slight breeze with no humidity.. Guess what! Two other buskers and a panhandler on close corners.. It is no problem but more of a surprise since it is just a Tuesday..The panhandler only stayed a short while. One busker is kinda new, a banjo player who is pretty talented..and the other is a guy who makes cardboard drawing.. pretty nice ones.. Busking is not just about music.. and sidewalk artist can be called a busker although Normally we think of buskers as musicians.. There is no rule!

May 25, 2022 - 2:55:11 PM
like this

Every busking event is a story to tell. Today, there was NOBODY on the street but I was out there anyway following the buskers rule.."The best time to go busking...is when you CAN." (tips totaled $1.50 for 90 minutes..)..Low tips, not problem.. I still enjoyed every minute I sat out there...

Often I busk very close to an art gallery.. Today when it was slow, I put down my fiddle and entered the gallery and called out for the owner. I told her that my latest scam is to tell people that if they give me a nice tip, that SHE will give them a discount on any of the art pieces that they might purchase.. We both laughed..However, think about it.. She would not be wise to not give a discount to someone who came in because I sent them expecting that they would get a discount.. Her art pieces go for several hundred dollars each.. She'd not be wise to refuse a discount to the tipper of a busker. Heck, I should get a commission!!. She did give me a thumb's up today because she sold a painting.. so her rent is paid for this month..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 05/25/2022 14:56:10

May 30, 2022 - 10:56:08 AM

A couple of things today.. One, my homeless buddy, BRADLEY.. was really in la-la land today.. He doesn't even know that he is way out there.. Talking to invisible people about samurai swords vs baseball bats.. Government conspiracies and secret codes.. all at once..He hung around for a while and when I had to leave we exchanges fist bumps and he said, "Love you, Brother''.. And, I love him..
Second thing.. Have you ever seen one of those Youtube videos where there is a homeless guy sitting rejected with a cup in front of him on the walk? A musician comes by and starts singing and suddenly the homeless guy is shocked that people start throwing money into his cup... as if the singer was bring in all this money..
Sorry.. it doesn't work like that.. I won't elaborate at this time but try to think of the possibilities.

May 30, 2022 - 1:45:05 PM

In addition to the previous post..: Busking is ALL about the money except when I'm got 'enough' money and then busking is all about the People except when there are no people, then busing is ALL about just getting out of the house and practicing tunes on the sidewalk... except when there are no people and no money and it is raining...Then, busking is ALL about watching the rain on the road, watching people run.. Unless ALL that doesn't happen and I can just hang out with some homeless people in whose living room I am in as a sidewalk busker.. I love busking..The world seems especially alive when I am fiddling on a sidewalk..

May 31, 2022 - 2:03:28 PM

Today was the FIRST time in such a long time that I don't remember when, that I was 'skunked'.. That is.. ZERO tips after almost 90 minutes of busking..
However, not to be defeated,, I got to practice, Road to Malvern, BLack Eyed Susan, Pretty Little Indian, and More.. I'll get some tips some other day.. I did get to have a nice conversation with an art gallery owner, and the Hispanic people who are opening a new restaurant TOMORROW.. Good chance to practice speaking in Spanish..I need that.. All in all.. just another wonderful time on the sidewalk.. The only downside is that when I started playing tunes, one of the businesses had their door open but after a few minutes.. they closed it..Such is life!!! I don't blame them..I don't want to listen to me for long either..!

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  33   34   35  36  37   38   Next Page   Last Page (38) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories