Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  31   32   33  34  35   Last Page (35) 

Jul 19, 2021 - 5:37:10 PM

DougD

USA

10329 posts since 12/2/2007

Lee, I think you might better use your time creating "Harriet Hare" as a companion for Harry. She could play the banjo and be modeled on Lily Mae Ledford or Ramona Jones. That way the little girls would see that if they work hard they might grow up to be a puppet too!
I guess they both couldn't perform together, unless you could use your steampunk skills to synchronize them somehow. Also, astute observers might notice she's playing a banjo, not a fiddle, so maybe you'd need a little mp3 player with a little Bluetooth speaker in her banjo.

Jul 19, 2021 - 6:37:43 PM

9468 posts since 3/19/2009

Actually I have made a banjo playing puppet and a guitar playing one..!! I'm trying to convince Larry to let me make him a concertina playing puppet... I can do it..just need the permission...
Here is how it works.. 2 and 3 year olds are SURE it is a real rabbit.. 4 year olds know it is a puppet but don't quite get how it works...5-6 year olds investigate the strings...7 and up.. THEY are the ones who I can fool... I use magician's misdirection to get them watching everything but the strings..It is really quite a lot of fun...I even PROVE that Harry is playing his instrument ........On this trip across country, the fiddle neck cracked so I had to do an emergency 5 minute epoxy repair to it.... Always something..Maybe I'll post some photos of Harry after I get him tweaked... Little kids won't notice anything different..

Jul 23, 2021 - 12:51:34 PM
like this

It paid off getting to know many of the 'street people' in our town while I'm busking .. Today, I was in the yard and a guy called out.. I recognized him from my busking corner.... He was looking for '305.'.. The street was two blocks away. When I saw that he was carrying SIX bags down the alley I knew he needed help getting to his location.. He'd carry two bags about 1/2 block, go get two more bags and finally go get the last two bags.. and repeat every 1/2 block.. No telling how many blocks he had come.. I live a mile from downtown..One bag Had to have weighed almost 100 pounds.....I got my car, loaded him up and took him to where he needed to go.. and What a nice guy.. One of the nicest on the Street ..He seemed to be 'off his meds' but we still had fun getting him to his new home...It would be easy for most people to write him off, especially since he was wearing a SKIRT... yep.. He told me it was just for fun.. he had no gender issues (it wouldn't have mattered)... Another day, another adventure..Could I make up something this interesting?? No, I'm not that creative.

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 07/23/2021 12:54:23

Jul 23, 2021 - 3:25:20 PM
likes this

DougD

USA

You're a big hearted person, Lee.

Jul 23, 2021 - 7:24:56 PM

Maybe I do have a big heart, but remember I KNOW this guy and have talked to him many times when I was busking..have a good feel for what kind of person he is.. Some people I might not have helped and I suspect that Most of you readers would have done the same.....

Jul 23, 2021 - 8:23:15 PM
like this

DougD

USA

I'd say it probably took a big heart to get to know him in the first place.

Aug 11, 2021 - 2:32:44 PM
like this

A friend has a four year old son (Max)  who is enthralled by Harry Hare. SO.. His mother made him an over the shoulder drum/cymbal/xylophone set with attached harmonica so he could busk like Harry.. The parents took him, Max, around the town square ONE time.. the kid made $23 in tips.. He didn't appreciate money too much since he is just four..but he KNEW that if he told people he'd play for them that when he held out his green derby hat, he'd get a tip and He HAD FUN..... Looks like Max has his college funding plan going fine.. While tips are One of the rewards for busking, there is obviously much more to it than that... As soon as Max's mother tweaks his One Man Band set.. he and I are going to go busking together for FUN..Can't wait..With any luck I'll get a video to share..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 08/11/2021 14:33:08

Aug 11, 2021 - 3:02:15 PM

Think about it.. Some of you want to busk (some) but are just a little afraid.. Well, if this little 4 year old can do it, so can you!!! Send photos..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 08/11/2021 15:11:35

Aug 15, 2021 - 2:15:06 PM
likes this

Here is the video of little 4 year old Max and his puppet Rufus.. His mother threw this together quickly and it needs a LOT of work but she is resourceful and will have it in a week or two. Max's banjo needs to be round his neck so he can play it while standing.. Max sang his own songs while strumming and even had Rufus 'talking'.. This kid is a natural.. Once his act has been tweaked.. I'll make more videos of him..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c00pN7GH7RI

Aug 15, 2021 - 3:17:15 PM

DougD

USA

I was curious, but it says the video is private.

Aug 15, 2021 - 4:09:17 PM

5486 posts since 9/26/2008

I tried too. Mom probably gave you a link, but it was a "link only" private video

Aug 15, 2021 - 4:46:05 PM
likes this

II'll check into that.. Probably a Youtube channel issue caused by me..OK, sorry about that , please try again and report back..MAYBE I've got it fixed.. (I'm rusty at Youtube)  Mom didn't give me a link,, made the video on my own phone..so I'm the problem, not her..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c00pN7GH7RI

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 08/15/2021 16:48:42

Aug 15, 2021 - 6:32:43 PM

5486 posts since 9/26/2008

So I assume he's in on the whole strings attached make it move thing. Very cute. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to set up a drumming one for him.

Aug 15, 2021 - 6:47:14 PM
like this

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan

So I assume he's in on the whole strings attached make it move thing. Very cute. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to set up a drumming one for him.

What you see is all his mother's doing.. She WILL get it all worked out very soon.. SHe is as sharp as a tack..I made a lot of suggestions but hesitate to be pushy.....She reported back that after we played together she took him out on his own and he was telling people the SAME jokes that I tell.."Little Thief!!".. Just kidding.. At one point when I was with him I  pretended that   Harry was talking as part of a joke.. Well, Max did the same thing with Rufus.. He is NOT afraid to try to put on a show..The mom just now texted me and said that Max made $12 when he was singing while strumming.. What a kid!!!

Aug 21, 2021 - 6:07:59 PM
likes this

Maybe you will find this busking story comforting.. I don't know..
As a busker it is common to get a $5 tip.. Sometimes I'll get 4 or 5 in a day.. Twenty $ bills come about once a month, but the rarest of all tips, believe it or not, is a $10.. I have no idea why that is..
Well, this afternoon I received a $10 tip and made a mental note of the fact and even told my busking buddy, Larry that I'd received it and that it was a rare occurance... This evening I went busking again and after a few minutes of fiddling a young man riding a bicycle stopped by, listened, and deposited a $10 into my tip jar.. I said please take some money out because ten is a big tip.. He assured me that it was no problem.. He left.....I saw him down the street at an ATM.. A few minutes later he returned and put Another ten into the tip jar.. I said, I'm sure you can't afford these big tips..He said don't worry I'm going to be getting a job... To me that meant that at this time he had NO job... I told him that he needed the money much more than I did because the tips are just extra money to me but he was unemployed and finally he took the ten back.. We discussed places where he could maybe get a job and after a few minutes he left......Not ONE minute later a young woman stepped up from behind me and Harry.. She stood extremely close to us and without a word, slowly deposited a $10 into the tip jar..She looked me right in the eye as she put her hand on my shoulder and left it there for a few seconds.........and walked away..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 08/21/2021 18:13:30

Aug 23, 2021 - 11:09:14 AM
likes this

Dragonslayer

Mozambique

295 posts since 9/1/2019

I had a flight at 2 on saturday, but we weren't leaving for the airport till 10, so I decided to go to the farmers market.
I brought my fiddle along, and got set up and just played for a couple hours. After about thirty minutes a man approached me, asking if I had anyone local that I usually jammed with. I told him I didn't really, but if he knew anyone I was interested. He said he didn't have anyone, but he was trying to find folks. so we exchanged numbers, and I told him I'd call him when I got back from my travels.
Not ten minutes later, a lady approached me with the same basic question, saying that she played with her sister and some guys, but they didn't have a fiddler. So we got connected through Facebook.

I made a fair penny in the hour and a half I was there, and I will definitely go back and play there more!

I did have one question; I use my open case as the tip bucket, is there any point at which It is best to empty the case mostly, or does it not affect how people tip?

Aug 23, 2021 - 12:42:07 PM
like this

Old Scratch

Canada

839 posts since 6/22/2016

Every busker has a pet theory about that, although all agree it's best to 'salt' the case when you start - put in at least a few coins and a bill or two. Beyond that, some hold that lots of money in the case invites more ("nothing succeeds like success"); others, that lots of money discourages more. To my mind, it's six bucks of one and half-a-dozen dollars of the other: some people will decide that you're making enough money without their help; others will decide that you must be good if you're pulling in that much, and imagine social pressure to contribute or just join in the fun, and will do so.

The other aspect to consider is how likely you are to be robbed, which depends on where and who you are. I never worried much about it - but I would always put larger denomination bills in my pocket. In many years of busking, I once had a kid grab a five-dollar bill and run away, and a couple of times had someone palm a dollar or two (coins). But I seem to have some street-smarts; I always had a sense of who was around and what was going on, and people can sense that. But if you're likely to get lost in your music, or if you look like an easy mark, you might want to limit how much money you leave out.

Aug 23, 2021 - 12:58:13 PM
like this

Good Info Old Scratch... I've never been robbed ,but the busking season isn't over..!! In the past, if there were questionable people milling about I'd take money out but that isn't the case very often for me.. My only problem with letting my fiddle case be my tip 'jar' is that the wind has been known to blow money away!! As for my actual jar, sometimes I empty it on a good day but more often than not I just push the bills to the bottom and carry one.. There is no rule......As you say, every busker has their own theory....
And, Gunnar... good to hear from you!!

Sep 11, 2021 - 2:42:31 PM
likes this

Today's busking story: I did well busking in Columbia, Missouri today. On the way back to the car I stopped at McNally's Irish bar on sixth street for an IPA. On the ceiling of the bar are an estimated $2,000 in one dollar bills taped/glued/stapled/pinned... I asked the bartender about the significance of the bills. He said he didn't know. When they bought the bar the bills were there and people still put them up for no known reason.. SO.. I put up a bill that has Harry Hare written on it..The Irish are lucky so they say. As I left the bar I found 12 cents on the sidewalk..so it must be true..
My challenge is that Anyone who goes to McNally's bar on sixth street and takes a PHOTO of the Harry Hare bill, I'll buy the TWO slices of pizza at the Pizza Tree in Columbia, MO... Who is up for this?

Sep 16, 2021 - 12:56:54 PM
likes this

Here's the thing.. At one venue they pay me really well by check to busk and I return tips to them to offset their payment to me.. I'm guaranteed a 'goodly' amount and come out ahead.. At another venue, I'm also well paid well by check BUT I'm not allowed to take tips...Now, IMO, not accepting tips from passersby sends the wrong message for buskers..!!! It is hard enough to get people to tip as it is without them seeing a (no tipping) sign which may discourage tipping to other buskers...

Sep 16, 2021 - 1:07:57 PM
likes this

DougD

USA

Neither of those arrangements seem like "busking" to me - just a way to hire a puppet and have it look "trendy."

Sep 16, 2021 - 2:00:56 PM
likes this

I differentiate between busking and other types of performing .. Both venues I'm referring to like and Want an interactive musician (busker) as opposed to a stage musician.. 
.. The definition of  busking  is debatable.. .obviously..
Often over the past few years I've been had people pay me to 'busk'.. Usually at a parties, wedding, etc.. In EVERY case it has turned out to be fun but Not what I want to do. My whole act  or busking revolves around a constant change of audience, and that is not possible at a party...Now, I turn down those opportunities.. I'm a Sidewalk Musician (Busker). nothing more and nothing less..
If things weren't debatable, the Hangout wouldn't be any fun!!smiley

Sep 16, 2021 - 2:14:54 PM
likes this

1635 posts since 4/6/2014

It's all work Lee. If it pays and you don't mind doing it , go for it, and let others decide whether it is busking or performing ? You're only the fiddler when all is said and done..wink

Sep 16, 2021 - 2:21:17 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by pete_fiddle

It's all work Lee. If it pays and you don't mind doing it , go for it, and let others decide whether it is busking or performing ? You're only the fiddler when all is said and done..wink

Yes, busking often turns out to be an 'exposure' gig..  I constantly remind myself that nobody owes me anything!!! But I still love it..Buskers know when they are busking and when they are playing in some other manner..Was just thinking today that the Main thing I love about busking is that I can play what I want, when I want and for how long I want.. Of course the 'venues' mentioned put Some restrictions on us but the payment it tempting..  It is possible to busk for someone else, but being on a fixed stage playing to a fixed audience, to me, is NOT busking.. and I  avoid those performances like I avoid Covid... Just last week a guitar player asked if I'd play with him at a local market and we could put out a tip jar but we'd be ON STAGE.. I turned him down.. I want to be 6 feet from those little kids..!!! Once again, I'm a sidewalk musician and Not a stage performer.

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 09/16/2021 14:23:07

Oct 4, 2021 - 1:28:41 PM
like this

Jesse Slokum, one of our local buskers recently died of natural causes.. He was his own man and a great busker who I admired a lot.. and a NICE GUY..!! Here is a nice video about him. Hope you like it.  His comments  reflect my own thoughts...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BXjfranpL8

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  31   32   33  34  35   Last Page (35) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories