%>
Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

20
Fiddle Lovers Online


Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  32   33   34  35  36   37   38  ...   Next Page   Last Page (39) 

Oct 4, 2021 - 2:30:57 PM

Jimhand

USA

141 posts since 4/6/2012

Cool dude!??????

Oct 4, 2021 - 2:32:56 PM
like this

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by Jimhand

Cool dude!??????


Yes. Cool.. This man had a super positive outlook on every aspect of life.. Not only did I admire him as a busker, I admired him as a person......Cool Dude!!

Oct 4, 2021 - 3:22:35 PM
likes this

doryman

USA

372 posts since 2/10/2020

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver

Jesse Slokum, one of our local buskers recently died of natural causes.. He was his own man and a great busker who I admired a lot.. and a NICE GUY..!! Here is a nice video about him. Hope you like it.  His comments  reflect my own thoughts...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BXjfranpL8


Sorry for your loss, Lee. 

Oct 6, 2021 - 2:54:55 PM
likes this

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

While busking today, I met a guy who had on a Rabbit Hash hat!! I asked about Rabbit Hash.. I came up with This likely story about Harry Hare's origins:
Harry Hare and me, Lee, have been partners for a long time..People ask where Harry came from...
Harry Hare's family hails from a little place called Rabbit Hash, Kentucky which is along the Ohio River. The family records, going back generations, were lost in the flood of 1937, but Harry's family survived by eating corn and dandelions....Harry had a happy life playing on the river banks with his child owner ...The child loved him but eventually that child grew up and left Harry in a closet..for years.. One day, he was found and taken to a Goodwill store with the hopes that he'd find a good home...Harry was 'rescued' by me from the stuffed animal shelf at the Goodwill store. When he was rescued it wasn't known that he could play a fiddle. I thought that he could just sit by me while I was Busking ( Busking=Sidewalk musician).. However, when he heard me playing my fiddle he perked right up and started waving his arms..Turns out that he and I know all of the same fiddle tunes. It is like a miracle... We are a perfect match..Harry now has a happy home and eats carrots daily......
By the way, Rabbit Hash got its name because after the big flood, all of the rabbits went to high ground where the Human survivors were.. Rabbits gave their lives so the humans could eat rabbit 'hash' to survive.  Hence, the name.    It was a noble thing that those rabbits did.. Ya can't make this up!...
Some of you readers may have more info about Rabbit Hash..Let me know if I need to augment this True story with Alternative  Facts..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 10/06/2021 15:03:38

Oct 6, 2021 - 3:27:52 PM
likes this

DougD

USA

10876 posts since 12/2/2007
Online Now

I believe Rabbit Hash is located in the next county to none other than Groundhog Peggy. Little furry animals seem to rule up there (especially since the mayors of Rabbit Hash are traditionally dogs).

Oct 6, 2021 - 3:29:58 PM

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by DougD

I believe Rabbit Hash is located in the next county to none other than Groundhog Peggy. Little furry animals seem to rule up there (especially since the mayors of Rabbit Hash are traditionally dogs).


Yes, I've heard about the Dog mayors... Funny.. Hopefully GHP will chime in.. When the guy was telling me about the place I was all ears.. of course, so was Harry..It was like Old home day to him!!!

Oct 7, 2021 - 12:28:21 PM
likes this

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

Five year old Max, aspiring puppeteer and banjo player, asked his mother if she and he could go downtown busking. She said, 'ok', so she loaded the instrument and puppet into their car. Max said, "I thought we were going busking. Why are we taking the car instead of the bus?"
Kids!!! You can't get ahead of them.. This made me laugh..
So, buskers are bus riders.. I learn something every day from kids..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 10/07/2021 12:54:46

Oct 27, 2021 - 1:06:04 PM
like this

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

After busking today I had a strong URGE to have a beer before going home.. As I walked through the restaurant (the one that I busk in front of regularly) to get to the bar in the back, the waitress stopped me..She informed me that her and her friend had been having trouble deciding what to dress as for Halloween.. Today, she said they decided to dress as ME and Harry Hare!!! I had to laugh.. Either we are scary or funny...or both..A couple of cardboard fiddles, some fake rabbit ears and string.. Ready to go trick-or-treating.


SO.. I sat at the bar having a beer and struck up a conversation with the man and his wife who sat next to me.. Lo and behold.. we had been neighbors a full 44 years earlier.. We hadn't crossed paths since.. It was a wonderful experience to chat with them after such a long time. I love the things that busking brings into my life.

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 10/27/2021 13:09:59

Nov 6, 2021 - 3:28:27 PM
like this

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

It is not all about making a buck.. Today, my friend Larry, went to Nashville, Indiana and made a 'killing' busking.. Goody for him.. he works hard.. I couldn't go but chose to stay in town and busk with a visiting niece. We made $12 after busking an hour.. We had a lot of fun.. Sure, I could have made a lot more in another town but family comes first... The time I spent with my niece busking is priceless.

Nov 6, 2021 - 5:28:28 PM

6016 posts since 9/26/2008

Good for Larry smiley good for you smiley

Nov 7, 2021 - 3:12:48 PM
like this

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan

Good for Larry smiley good for you smiley


We made up for it today.. Won't post the amount but busking proceeds today were a lifetime record amount... I may buy Harry  (and Larry) lunch soon.... I've gone out busking 230 times so far this year.. Am I addicted?  Could it be FUN?  Only a busker would understand!!  

Nov 12, 2021 - 2:50:06 PM

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

By the end of next week my busking season will be OVER... What Will I do?? I think I'll take my Tips and invest in the homeless and save the world.. then, travel to every country in the world ..after which I'll eat Hot Dogs (on warmed buns) in every state of the Union...Who is IN with me? Ready for some road/air trips? I'll pay.........for ............your coffee on the first day.smiley  

Dec 12, 2021 - 1:01:30 PM

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

Please advise if you think this doesn't qualify as a busking story..
I went downtown today to do a little Christmas shopping..TWO crazy, unbelievable things happened back to back. First as I was walking down the sidewalk I found (you won't believe this) a hat FULL OF DOLLAR BILLS and Change... Naturally I picked it up and proceed to walk down the sidewalk, excited about my 'find'.. Next, (you won't believe this either), some crazy man with a guitar was chasing me saying that he wanted the money.. Hey, it was ME who found it.. I don't see where I have to give any of it to him!!! What do you think?smileycheeky

Dec 12, 2021 - 5:21:08 PM
likes this

256 posts since 9/6/2011

Change the crazy man with guitar to crazy fiddler with a rabbit. Now what do you think ?

It is a busking story.

Edited by - imapicker2 on 12/12/2021 17:23:07

Dec 12, 2021 - 5:30:11 PM

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by imapicker2

Change the crazy man with guitar to crazy fiddler with a rabbit. Now what do you think ?

It is a busking story.


Aha!!  NOW I see the link  smiley  Promise, I'll take the money back..!!

Apr 12, 2022 - 9:55:26 AM
like this

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

Last night I laid in bed being thankful for the opportunity to start busking again now that the weather is warm..er......I was thinking about some of the street regulars who I missed over the winter but now started seeing,   like......
Tom..who always tips a crumpled up dollar.. I've told him he is paid up but he keeps tipping.. He has a syndicated radio show on the weekends..
Bradley, who is cheerful but usually 'off his meds' and has been complaining lately about government conspiracies.. He had just gotten kicked out of the court house for acting out..
Lucy, the local grocery cart homeless woman..Usually she just walks around yelling at invisible people..Yesterday she DID smile and applaud when Harry and I were busking.
Andy, goes from job to job to job but never seems to be able to get his act together.
Steve, who is a self appointed recycling authority..keeps a large container on his bike for aluminum cans.
Ed, who inherited millions of dollars but you'd never know looking at how he dresses.
High school kids who have sort of grown up as Harry and I busked over the past seven years.
A guy who calls himself 'Rabbit' and is a security guard at the CVS where I busk in front of.
Michael, who owns a large restaurant on the corner and who has finally decided that I'm not homeless.
Adria who stumbles as she walks with her service dog, Mr T...and who while looking like a truly disadvantaged person, writes a regular column in the local paper, about people with disabilities..

and William who clearly is mentally disabled ...and I see him walking on all sides of town..He lives at the Mission.

These are some of the interesting characters I see often but they are just a Part of the overall people landscape of town.....Having said that, I've noticed that almost Everyone is interesting once I get them talking a little..

Apr 12, 2022 - 11:14:53 AM
likes this

602 posts since 7/30/2021

You sound like a total extrovert! I love your descriptions of everybody.

Apr 12, 2022 - 11:45:09 AM

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by NCnotes

You sound like a total extrovert! I love your descriptions of everybody.


I might be.. My children are always embarrassed when I'm in public with them... (It is a father's job to embarrass his children)..

Apr 22, 2022 - 4:04:02 PM
like this

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

Not too often but Sometimes..at least often enough that it gets my attention... Someone will stand/sit back and watch me fiddle.. I don't think they are watching the 'spectacle' of me and Harry as much as they are watching a functional fiddler weave through a tune over and over and they seem to sincerely appreciate what it is that I'm doing...Sometimes it is nice to be appreciated for my fiddling skill........
On another topic...Yesterday, a young woman who said she was from the country of Columbia ..listened for a long time and she actually said that she liked Old Time music. I commented that I was surprised that someone from another country would know that Old Time music was different than, folk, country or bluegrass.. She noted that she was a musicologist ..!! so that is why she knew of the style.. Nice.

Apr 26, 2022 - 12:08:46 PM
likes this

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

An Angel? Nah!! ??? I got to my favorite corner by the drug store, put down my chair, Harry and fiddle.. Put a dollar bill in the tip jar as seed...and looked up.. There, 20 feet away was on old lady sitting on a concrete planter by the store entrance.. I thought she was waiting for someone to come out of the store, but instead she had an "in need'' sign.. I felt bad.. I didn't want to compete with her..so I apologized to her and offered do leave. She said I could stay and that SHE would leave because she'd sat there for a long time and hadn't received even one donation.... I said, "Let me give you a dollar!"... I reached into my tip jar, took out the dollar bill and handed it to her. She thanked me and walked up the street... I started fiddling and happened to glance down at the tip jar.. There was still a dollar bill in the jar.... I froze..!! Was it an angel thanking me for giving the lady a dollar? NAH... but I'm pretty sure that I had put  only ONE bill in that tip jar..I swear!!! Guess I'll never know for sure..!laugh

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 04/26/2022 12:15:27

Apr 26, 2022 - 1:26:20 PM
likes this

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver

An Angel? Nah!! ??? I got to my favorite corner by the drug store, put down my chair, Harry and fiddle.. Put a dollar bill in the tip jar as seed...and looked up.. There, 20 feet away was on old lady sitting on a concrete planter by the store entrance.. I thought she was waiting for someone to come out of the store, but instead she had an "in need'' sign.. I felt bad.. I didn't want to compete with her..so I apologized to her and offered do leave. She said I could stay and that SHE would leave because she'd sat there for a long time and hadn't received even one donation.... I said, "Let me give you a dollar!"... I reached into my tip jar, took out the dollar bill and handed it to her. She thanked me and walked up the street... I started fiddling and happened to glance down at the tip jar.. There was still a dollar bill in the jar.... I froze..!! Was it an angel thanking me for giving the lady a dollar? NAH... but I'm pretty sure that I had put  only ONE bill in that tip jar..I swear!!! Guess I'll never know for sure..!laugh


Funny, but I'm 76.. When I referred to an Old Lady..well, I'm probably older than her!!

Apr 26, 2022 - 6:15:19 PM

doryman

USA

372 posts since 2/10/2020

Accidental Busker. I was working downstate this past week and brought my fiddle, hoping I'd have a little time to play when I wasn't working. We were staying in a roadside motel in town because it was near to our field sites. It wasn't one of those pay-by-the-hour type places, but there certainly weren't any fancy business men staying there either (I was in Aberdeen, WA, so if you've ever spent any kind of time there, you know how the town and hotels are)!

Anyway, it turned out that the motel was pretty full and there were guests in the rooms on either side of me, so I didn't want to play in my room. It was a nice enough evening the first night, so I went out into the motel parking lot and sat on bench at the far side of the parking lot and next to the street. I figured that, between the distance, traffic noise, and my mute, no one in the motel would likely hear my violin.

Anyway, as I was playing, several people did walk by on the sidewalk, a few complimented my playing and one tried to give me a dollar! So, I guess I've now busked!

Edited by - doryman on 04/26/2022 18:17:43

Apr 26, 2022 - 6:54:33 PM

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by doryman

Accidental Busker. I was working downstate this past week and brought my fiddle, hoping I'd have a little time to play when I wasn't working. We were staying in a roadside motel in town because it was near to our field sites. It wasn't one of those pay-by-the-hour type places, but there certainly weren't any fancy business men staying there either (I was in Aberdeen, WA, so if you've ever spent any kind of time there, you know how the town and hotels are)!

Anyway, it turned out that the motel was pretty full and there were guests in the rooms on either side of me, so I didn't want to play in my room. It was a nice enough evening the first night, so I went out into the motel parking lot and sat on bench at the far side of the parking lot and next to the street. I figured that, between the distance, traffic noise, and my mute, no one in the motel would likely hear my violin.

Anyway, as I was playing, several people did walk by on the sidewalk, a few complimented my playing and one tried to give me a dollar! So, I guess I've now busked!


Yes.. you are not an official busker.. and it really wasn't that difficult, was it!!!!

Apr 27, 2022 - 5:02:44 AM
likes this

10542 posts since 3/19/2009

Doryman, I meant to type NOW an official busker, ... in error I typed NOT...sorry 'bout dat'..

Apr 27, 2022 - 8:13:30 AM
like this

doryman

USA

372 posts since 2/10/2020

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver

Doryman, I meant to type NOW an official busker, ... in error I typed NOT...sorry 'bout dat'..


Ha!  I thought maybe I had to get a union card or something!

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  32   33   34  35  36   37   38  ...   Next Page   Last Page (39) 

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.328125