Well, the top is off!
Steve confirmed that the tail block was split. He also undercovered some interesting repair work from the previous restoration. The construction originally was very good; however, the repairs in the past were a bit odd. The following items were noted:
- There was a badly repaired wing crack.
- The previous restoration used white glue on the split block.
- Some of the hide glue is really brittle.
- Maple slab reinforcement was used down the middle of the top. 6" x 1 1/8" Not too thick really. Not sure what it does. Biggest problem with it is that the edge of it goes right where the sound post hits, making post fitting problematic at best.
- Heavy bass bar. Nice wood, but both thick (7 mm v. 5.5 mm) and tall (15 mm) especially at the ends.
- Spit in the top near saddle. Glued with glop that doesn't seem to dissolve.
- Oddly shaped saddle - it was designed to split the top!
- Pegs are beyond useful life; need to install new set.
- Some scrapes and dings on the bottom and on one of the edges.
So, all in all, not too many things wrong and didn't sound like anything was really serious.
I'll keep you posted.
Be the first to comment
on “Project Update 07/12/07”
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.