Posted by Marc Metzger on Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Rather than prattle on about myself, I will be posting links that I have found usefull in my walk from violinist to fiddler. I have a lot, so hopefully you will find a gem or two that you never knew about!
ABC Format converters
I use ABCedit for all my ABC converting and experimenting. It has a midi function that will play the tune, as well as on-the-fly updating for editing, so you can actually see what you just screwed up instead of wasting a print on it.
Tune-O-Tron - http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html
The Session - http://www.thesession.org/index.php
- arranged in tabs, provides ABC notation, a .gif picture file of the sheet music, and comments
The Fiddler's Companion - http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/index.html
- alphabetical listing of tunes, many in ABC notation, with some pretty in-depth commentary
Hetzler's Fakebook - http://hetzler.homestead.com/music_2.html
- Hetzler's has mostly midi files for traditional play-by-ear learning, tunes broken down into keys
County Champaigne Irish Tune Collections - http://ccitcol.pbworks.com/
- neatly arranged PDF sheet music files in 3 volumes
Ceolas - http://www.ceolas.org/ceolas.html
- lots of tunes, tools, links, and history on celtic music - you may have to dig here, but it is worth it!
Complete works of Turlough O'Carolan - http://www.oldmusicproject.com/occ/tunes.html
- O'Carolan was a traveling Irish harper from the 15th/16th century whose music is widely played in the folk community these days. Tunes here are in "user friendly" keys like D, G, and A. Provided are links in NWC (Noteworthy Composer), ABC, .gif picture sheet music, and a midi file.
Richard Robinson's Tunebooks - http://livetunebook.qualmograph.org.uk/
- a large quantity of old tunes from Europe, England, and Scotland. Richard's old site (http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk/listings.html) has a lot of content listed, but many of the links are no longer good. Presented in ABC with a .gif sheet music picture.
...out of time for now!
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.
'Kreddle Chin Rest' 1 day
'KORPIKLAANI - Wooden Pints' 2 days