Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3  4   5   6  ...   Next Page   Last Page (28) 

Apr 1, 2016 - 9:28:39 PM

3428 posts since 12/8/2007

Apr 1, 2016 - 9:58:44 PM
like this

39 posts since 3/28/2015

As many times I've been the person that set the good joke, I've always laughed at myself when the joke was pulled on me. Good one! I'm also.....humbled....

Apr 1, 2016 - 10:07:47 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

boxbow

USA

2393 posts since 2/3/2011

Caught me flat-footed.  Probably get me next year, too.

Apr 14, 2016 - 10:20:10 AM
likes this

7458 posts since 3/19/2009

Here is a three in one story... A few weeks ago we were putting out instruments away after having played for two hours and a lady came running down the street , carrying a young child.. She said that she couldn't get to us sooner because she couldn't find a parking place.. So we took out our instruments and played the child a few tunes. The woman put $10 in each of our cases.. 

Two days ago we sat down to Tune our instruments before busking.. A guy walked by and put a ten in the basket.. He said he liked to see musicians tune.  Go figure..

Today, I collected my tips and was leaving the scene of the crime..er, busking... and was about a half a block away when a guy came running (literally) and gave me a five dollar bill. He Loved the music... and again, when I was about three blocks away a passing car had its driver yell out of the window "Love your fiddling"...

Yes, I love the tips, but I also love to be appreciated..The people mentioned above appreciated the music..Had they given less money, it would have been just as grateful....really..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 04/14/2016 10:21:38

Apr 16, 2016 - 1:04:17 PM
likes this

Life is very  interesting downtown.. Today, a car had a front tire blowout right in front of me.  It sounded like a shotgun going off.   Scared the Beejesus  out of me..Then came by  the teenaged girl with a 24 inch iguana on her shoulder...On the courthouse lawn was a big Bernie Sanders rally.....

As  I packed up to leave  a guy came running with at me waving a five dollar bill...Then later, when I tried to leave a young couple asked if I'd take my fiddle out and play them  Whiskey Before Breakfast  for $2...There is a pattern here.. I should always look like I'm leaving....!!!!!

I don't know if I'd related this before, but once there was a documentary about a family in NYC who tried to go off the grid... Without electricity their 4 year daughter came to rely on the street for entertainment.. At one point she said, "Daddy, let's go out on the street and see what happens today."....That is how I feel about busking..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 04/16/2016 13:09:56

Apr 17, 2016 - 8:45:21 PM
like this

bluesmode

Canada

716 posts since 2/19/2011

today (in between transit car loads) a young man stopped and put a folded piece of stiff paper in my case, about the size of a credit card. He said he appreciated my music and liked it because (in his words) it was real music, and not like Rap, which he did NOT like. We had a brief conversation, exchanged names, and as the next transit car was coming into the station, he went on his way.

a couple of songs later I looked in the folded paper. There was a Walmart gift card in it, and in small letters on the paper...$49.00.
I just got back from Walmart, turns out the original amount for the card was $100.00 and there was still $50.56 left on it.

I came back with a few groceries. if I see him again, although I may not recognize him, I'll give him another thank you.
I give a quick thanks or thank you very much to almost everyone who puts money in my case. If I get a fiver or more, I'll stop playing and say Thank you very much, I really appreciate that.

Apr 18, 2016 - 9:56:20 AM

It was quite on the street this morning.. Me and banjo player, Kerry played for two hours..She is getting pretty good... Anyway, a young woman about 25 rolled by in a motorized wheelchair.. She has Cerebral Palsy and has limited use of her left hand.. Her and I decided that she would try to play a fiddle.. I'll give her a few lessons and see what she can do...This should be a fun challenge.. Many fiddle tunes can be played with just two fingers and a little sliding.  I'll work on finding those tunes...Maybe we'll work on chords and rhythm first..don't know..Never a dull day.

Apr 25, 2016 - 9:46:23 AM

Today, my buddy, BUSKER BEAR let me down.. After a full hour of busking the tips included two, one dollar bills.  A huge gust of wind sucked money right out of the basket.. Busker was supposed to keep it contained..The bills took to the air, each going about 20 feet into the air and the last I saw of them, one was 80 feet out into traffic and the other somewhere "over there"... I went to look for them. A homeless guy was helping me find them and I said,  "Guess that if you find one, it is yours.".. His response, "That was already my plan.."  Eventually one of the homeless guys found ONE of the bills.  The other  must not have ever landed..Never a dull moment.

I used to use a wooden basket for tips but it kept blowing over and spilling tips all over the sidewalk.. THis basket works better but obviously needs a top...

Apr 25, 2016 - 11:51:30 AM
likes this

Tobus

USA

233 posts since 5/7/2015

My wife and I busk at the local antique mall.  Well, really, we just go there to play somewhere besides the front porch and local jams.  We rarely make more than enough to buy a cheap lunch, but it's not about the money anyway.  It's fun to play music that most folks enjoy but are not familiar with.  The only reason I started leaving my case open was because people insisted on putting money in front of us.

The spot where we like to set up is in the main area of the shop, and it's not too far from the men's restroom.  The weekend before last, we were playing when I noticed a guy come straight in the front door and make a beeline to the restroom.  He was in there long enough for us to have played 3 or 4 tunes.  When he came out, he threw a wad of bills in my case and thanked us both, saying he had never been serenaded while he was "on the throne".  I asked him if it helped.  He just laughed, thanked us again, and left.

Apr 25, 2016 - 4:34:15 PM

cornfed

USA

283 posts since 10/17/2010

Today, my buddy, BUSKER BEAR let me down.. After a full hour of busking the tips included two, one dollar bills.  A huge gust of wind sucked money right out of the basket.. Busker was supposed to keep it contained..The bills took to the air, each going about 20 feet into the air and the last I saw of them, one was 80 feet out into traffic and the other somewhere "over there"... I went to look for them. A homeless guy was helping me find them and I said,  "Guess that if you find one, it is yours.".. His response, "That was already my plan.."  Eventually one of the homeless guys found ONE of the bills.  The other  must not have ever landed..Never a dull moment.

I used to use a wooden basket for tips but it kept blowing over and spilling tips all over the sidewalk.. THis basket works better but obviously needs a top...

Lee,

Try using a clear glass gallon jug, with a narrow neck, like vinegar comes in...or used to. Maybe cider today.?  In Tombstone we used a gallon sized clear plastic container that originally had nuts in it. It wasn't' very stable in the wind so we put a couple of fist sized rocks in it. Problem solved. I now have a gallon sized heavy glass container the same size and shape, but have yet to use it , alas.

Apr 25, 2016 - 6:46:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cornfed

Lee,

Try using a clear glass gallon jug, with a narrow neck, like vinegar comes in...or used to. Maybe cider today.?  In Tombstone we used a gallon sized clear plastic container that originally had nuts in it. It wasn't' very stable in the wind so we put a couple of fist sized rocks in it. Problem solved. I now have a gallon sized heavy glass container the same size and shape, but have yet to use it , alas.

Wayne, thanks for that tip..!!! 

May 1, 2016 - 9:58:52 AM

1192 posts since 9/4/2011

One time I got a very real looking 3 dollar bill with Freddie Mercury on it - no idea who put it in there. I had a nice mentally ill guy stop me & tell me the story of how he taught Mohamed Ali how to surf - figures he was wearing a wetsuit, apparently the US gov't is tearing a hole in the ozone layer to control us with UV radiation & the wetsuit stops the rays. I met Brahams great grandson who was writing a computer program to transcribe sound to sheet-music and he wanted to take snips of my music. I been kissed, given kale, cards for homeless shelters, a random pill or two... All sorts of weird crap.

May 1, 2016 - 11:03:25 AM

Funny, Brad.  I'm pretty sure that the hole in the ozone layer pretty much explains some of the activity that I see on the street... It could also explain MINE...  Today, a homeless guy who I've gotten to know sat by me with his cup out on the sidewalk.. More than one person put money is it while bypassing Busker Bear.. I don't mind..I offered the guy a dollar when I got ready to leave and he said he wanted $2... go figure....                                                                                                  Also today, THREE waitresses came out of two restaurants and thanked me for playing.. One of them said that the next time she sees me busking that she will break out her Hula Hoop and perform while I play.. That ought to be interesting.

May 12, 2016 - 12:11:55 PM
likes this

Busking yesterday: Kerry and I were in front of the Trojan Horse Restaurant..About 20 feet away was a guy holding a sign that read, "Bless a homeless person today"......We played for an your and two other homeless guys (both drunk) came to join us.. One sat down and used his backpack to play percussion and the other guy stood over us talking then entire time telling us how much he loved the 'bluegrass' music we were playing..(it is OLD TIME, Not Bluegrass)... Anyway, I digress... Finally, the guy with the sign came over and yelled at the four of us, saying that we were ganging up on him and he couldn't make any money.. The three homeless guys were about ten seconds from a fist fight when one of the left..
TODAY, my daughter, Katie, and I were busking in the same place..Two guys from the Indianapolis WISH TV stopped by and filmed us for about twenty minutes and said that next Thursday (the 19th) they would air a 2 1/2 minute segment of us playing..
Time spent on the street is never boring.....

May 16, 2016 - 6:41:58 PM

It has occurred to me recently that probably less than 1% of passersby leave a tip.. I suppose that that is why we buskers like to play tunes where the crowds are the largest..

May 22, 2016 - 3:53:54 PM
like this

The Hangout is probably tired of hearing about my busking stories.. but.. So what.. 

Today I was busking with an amazing fiddler, Deb Shebish.   A guy came up and dropped ten dollars in our case while we were tuning our fiddles. I said, "Hey, you haven't heard us play yet.".. He replied that he heard us while he was stopped by the light at the corner.  It turns out that he was a playing with John Mellencamp BEFORE John became famous... He told great stories about his own musical career..  

The excitement never ends.. 

May 25, 2016 - 7:00:42 AM
likes this

169 posts since 7/31/2015

Lee, you're making me think again of trying busking. I need to just pick out a corner and do it. 

May 25, 2016 - 7:27:17 AM
likes this

You'll never regret it.. 

You'll play harder

you'll play longer'

You'll meet interesting people

You'll think nobody cares and then you'll get a $5

You'll get a tan

You'll find which tunes are best for busking

You'll receive compliments for area businesses (OK, we don't, but YOU will!!!)

I just read in the paper the other day that our State capitol, Indianapolis, is trying to get buskers to come downtown to make the city look a little more alive for the tourists...

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 05/25/2016 07:28:46

May 25, 2016 - 12:09:45 PM

169 posts since 7/31/2015

quote:
Originally posted by Lee M

I just read in the paper the other day that our State capitol, Indianapolis, is trying to get buskers to come downtown to make the city look a little more alive for the tourists...

Huh I kinda like downtown Indy. If I started there and people ran me out of town, I could still go home...

May 25, 2016 - 1:10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by quietglow

quote:
Originally posted by Lee M

Huh I kinda like downtown Indy. If I started there and people ran me out of town, I could still go home...

Or, you could come down to Bloomington and busk with Me..

May 25, 2016 - 10:58:29 PM

Dave S

USA

708 posts since 10/18/2009

>The Hangout is probably tired of hearing about my busking stories.. but.. So what.. 

Never tired! They're a kick to read. Keep 'em coming.

May 26, 2016 - 1:04:29 AM

Yesterday, a homeless guy who I see about every time that I busk,  sat about ten feet from us ...on the sidewalk, and put out his cup with hopes of getting some change..  I told him that he might think about putting some new pencils in the cup so that people would possibly be more willing to donate to him if they got a pencil in return.. "Hmmmm" , he said, "That might be a good idea."  I told him that I would even buy some pencils for him to resell.  Today, I bought a box of about six pencils and put them in my fiddle case with the hopes that I could give them to the guy today.. Guess what .. He didn't show......We made use of the pencils though.  It seems that 9 year old boy was watching us intently for a looong time. I let him use two of the pencils as 'fiddle sticks.''  We all had a good time..

Also, I did some work on my 'Busker Bear'  basket.. I put arched pieces of wood on the bottom of the platform that the tip basket sits on, attached Busker to the basket , and with some 6 lb fishing line, tied Busker to a cloths pin that was clipped to my foot.  Now, whenever I tap my foot, Busker, who is about five feet out in front of us, looks like he is climbing on the basket and rocking it..More than one person stood for a while wondering how that was happening because the fishing line was virtually invisible..

May 26, 2016 - 4:35:01 AM

125 posts since 12/30/2008

quote:

Interesting. I remember about 20 years ago, a band I was in looked into busking in downtown Indy. We were told that it was "obstructing public thoroughfares" and we would be ticketed.

May 26, 2016 - 8:14:11 AM
likes this

cornfed

USA

283 posts since 10/17/2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busking_(U.S._case_law)
I know ..it's wiki But

It summarizes case law regarding the ability of municipalites to ban busking.. It is very clear that the courts see busking as a legitimate 1st amendment right. The courts look askance at municipal claims of obstructing traffic etc as a reason for banning busking. They do seem to allow some regulation of the right; ie permitting, volume control, places where busking may occur, when busking may occur and so on.

I am familiar with one case in Tombstone AZ where the city fathers attempted to ban busking and were challenged by one "Johnny Bones" ( a stage name). The local law enforcement officer advised them that he thought their action was was not legal, but they went ahead anyway, and had the challenger arrested. The challenger got some unspecified amount of money from the city and the illeagal law was struck down and the city fathers were specifically instructed in the limits of their ability to inhibit busking. Now the city embraces buskers, and invites them to participate in their celebratory functions. I believe that information on this case is still on line, but have not attempted to locate it, instead relying on my (imperfect) memory.

May 26, 2016 - 1:52:05 PM

Is this busking related??? I've just made a nice pair of solid walnut, 18 inch long FIDDLESTICKS..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFyOGqmITjM

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3  4   5   6  ...   Next Page   Last Page (28) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories