Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   4   5  ...   Next Page   Last Page (28) 

Mar 22, 2016 - 6:45:57 AM
like this

7471 posts since 3/19/2009

I recall this one busking experience... I arrived on the street corner with my little folding stool.. Someone from a local restaurant came  out and offered me a padded chair and a beer.  The police soon arrived and put a wooden barrier around that area where I was playing.. A crowd quickly built around me when I started to play.  I could hardly see the faces of the audience because everyone had a smart phone in from of their face, recording my busk.....I felt so special.. Someone took my little tip basket and replaced it with a 30 gallon trash bin and the sound of money going into it was deafening.  A Brink's truck pulled up and offered to secure the ten and twenty dollar bills.. 

Just as I was about to play "Indian Ate The Woodchuck "(in D) ,   I woke up from my dream.

Mar 23, 2016 - 7:54:11 AM
like this

Blue

USA

2528 posts since 10/31/2009

The last time I was out busking, a fellow came along and stole my fiddle at knife point ....... he said he had just gotten out of prison, where he learned to play and needed an instrument. wink  Sorry, I couldn't resist. clown

Mar 23, 2016 - 8:34:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Blue

The last time I was out busking, a fellow came along and stole my fiddle at knife point ....... he said he had just gotten out of prison, where he learned to play and needed an instrument. wink  Sorry, I couldn't resist. clown

Priceless............

Mar 23, 2016 - 8:46 AM
likes this

5672 posts since 8/7/2009

quote:

Sure he didn't just need your fiddle case?   shock

Edited by - tonyelder on 03/23/2016 08:46:59

Mar 23, 2016 - 9:14:46 AM
Players Union Member

boxbow

USA

2394 posts since 2/3/2011

quote:

I can see it now.  James Cagney in the loft of a burning building, clenching fiddle and bow in his fists over his head as he shouts "Top of The World, Ma!"

Mar 24, 2016 - 2:34:12 PM

quote:

I'm sure that Bob would have Given him a fiddle....Bob is like that...  !!

Mar 25, 2016 - 1:47:51 PM
likes this

I should have made this a BUSKING BLOG... I've been busking a LOT for the past few months.. I've learned that on the street I play much louder than I play at home.. That makes the fiddle 'sound' different than what I'm used to.  I play with more energy and power... The tunes that I used to play for about three times through at home, on the street I may play them for 20 times through...My ability to play variations has increased.  I sound better, I have better rhythm.. Now I'm wondering why I didn't busk more in the past.. 

Mar 25, 2016 - 7:17:54 PM
likes this

902 posts since 1/25/2008

Yes when I busk I pay louder and more reps because I want people to hear the tune; if you don't play enough reps the passersby will not hear the whole. So it's basically beat it to death. We still do this when playing out: play enough so the audience gets the tune.

I put three children through violin lessons on Saturday morning. So I played outside at the music school for an hour or two, with people randomly passing by while the kids were inside getting lessons. Seven years or so during school season.

A couple of times students from the music school would answer my playing with some excellent fantastic violin classical display. Trying to show me what real playing is like; and they did magnificently. Once one student said "I've always wanted to play the way you are playing but ..."

I always felt choked when playing there, but I had to kill a couple of hours, so. I played through my repertory. I'm sure some tunes were horrible. It was part of a base on which to build. I feel sure they never heard those tunes there before and probably since.

Mar 26, 2016 - 11:35:27 AM
like this

Today I was busking and a friend stopped by with her two grandchildren... She said that they had just been to the cookie shop about a half a block away.. She asked the kids if they wanted to buy a cookie for the busker (me) up on the corner.. The response she got was, "No, he's not that good."

Pretty bad when you are not 'cookie worthy'...........

Mar 27, 2016 - 2:24:09 PM

My tips for busking today totaled $50.. An acquaintance asked if I made any money 'begging'... I really wasn't offended by his remark comparing busking to begging because I knew that  he didn't know what he was taking about.. He has never gone busking. . Beggars just hold out a sign and want something for nothing..Buskers "WORK" for their tips. You wouldn't say that a waiter was begging... If you think that busking is like begging, try busking for two hours and get back to me..You will find that it is WORK.. (and FUN)...but it is Not begging.

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 03/27/2016 14:26:09

Mar 27, 2016 - 2:54:16 PM

2027 posts since 8/23/2008

Some people are offended when they're called 'buskers'.......''I am a street musician''....!

Mar 27, 2016 - 3:27:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fiddlechops

Some people are offended when they're called 'buskers'.......''I am a street musician''....!

Yes.. I've seen that.. Once I asked a guy how long he had been busking and he got offended.. He said that he was  an "artist"...not a busker.. 

Mar 27, 2016 - 4:14:19 PM

Vancouver has a Buskerfest every year.........http://www.buskercentral.com/calendar.php

Mar 27, 2016 - 4:20:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lee M

quote:

Yes.. I've seen that.. Once I asked a guy how long he had been busking and he got offended.. He said that he was  an "artist"...not a busker.. 

Plus, if he was working for tips... Hmm.. wait... many artists DO just make tips... Sorry about that... Ok.. but he is still a busker IMO.

Mar 27, 2016 - 4:29:45 PM

quote:

We have a festival in my home town.......http://www.belgravebuskersfestival.com.au/

Yeah, 'street music' or 'artist' = busker....

I'll come if you'll pay for the air fare.!!!

Mar 29, 2016 - 1:18:02 PM

Like I've said in the past, Every day busking is an adventure.. Today, my daughter and I were playing tunes on a  busy street corner.  A bicyclist was on the street and started to go straight after the light turned green.. The closest car decided to turn...right into the cyclist.  I heard the collision and  was sure that he had been run over  but it turns out that the car only caught him with a passing rear fender.  I dropped my fiddle and bow and ran to him.. He was OK... The car proceeded as if nothing had happened.. Never a dull moment..

Mar 29, 2016 - 2:33:31 PM
like this

2209 posts since 12/23/2007

Stop distracting the motorists.
Mar 29, 2016 - 6:33:39 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by amwildman

Stop distracting the motorists.

I don't think it was me.. It may have been my 35 year old fiddling daughter...I'll blame her.

Mar 30, 2016 - 2:47:46 AM
likes this

bluesmode

Canada

716 posts since 2/19/2011

I've been out 8 times in Feb and 13 times in March. very mild winter, as the weather gets warmer, I'll be busking 5 days out of 7, and that will continue thru until sometime in October.  I busk inside the light rail transit stations.

This is a seasonal part time job for me, to supplement my disability income. I've already submitted my 2015 income to Revenue Canada, and got the assessment back ok'd.

...I will be going out tomorrow right after my appointment with my psychiatrist.  

Edited by - bluesmode on 03/30/2016 02:50:20

Mar 30, 2016 - 7:24:41 PM
like this

bluesmode

Canada

716 posts since 2/19/2011

..here's a strange one. Last year a girl in her mid twenty's walked by and tossed a folded, half sealed envelope in my case and kept on walking, barely even slowed down. I finished the tune and took a look in the envelope. There was $99.00 in Canadian and American bills.

My busking tunes are pretty good, but not that good.laugh

The only thing I can think of is they were ill gotten gains that she didn't want. There must be some kind of story behind that one.

Mar 30, 2016 - 8:11:36 PM

2209 posts since 12/23/2007

Wait - was it Canadian or American money?  USD would make a better story.  :p

Apr 1, 2016 - 5:25:53 AM
like this

Three of us were busking.  We had one banjo, one fiddle, and one guitar.  This waiter comes out of a local restaurant and says that we sound good but he can't really hear the banjo.   I asked him if the banjo player should play louder and he said, 'No.  Everything is cool..Don't change anything."..........

Apr 1, 2016 - 7:21:12 PM
like this

3428 posts since 12/8/2007

So I was waiting for the rest of my band members to show up at last week's Clinton Farmers' Market giggy, and I got my fiddle out and began playing "Road to Lisdoonvarna," my case open with a few dollars of mine inside to "prime the pump."  An older gentleman (sixty-five-ish) walked by with his own violin , turned abruptly around, set his violin down, reached into pocket and threw a nice ten-spot in my case!

"May I join you," he asked with a distinctly German accent.

"Of course," I replied, as I generally enjoy a second fiddle playing alongside.

He said, "Just continue with 'Lisdoonvarna' and I began it again.  He started by just playing double stop chords to the tune, letting me take the melody; then he mirrored me perfectly, following my style (if that's the word), hitting exactly my adornments at the precise place that I did, all the while smiling and uttering "Yes yes yes, that's the way," and then after about five times through he jumped up into the second and third positions, playing these perfect little harmonies and accompaniments to my melody!  

Once finished, he thanked me gratefully and shook my hand, and said, "I've got a gig to go to on the other side of the market," and off he went.  

"Who are you?" I inquired.

"I'm Stressard Schuster and pleased to have played with you," he replied.

Shocked and a bit beyond words I watched him go.  I had just played with one of the greatest violinists ever.  What a small world.  

Apr 1, 2016 - 8:37:15 PM

39 posts since 3/28/2015

Now that's a story! Way cool.

Apr 1, 2016 - 8:42:19 PM
like this

39 posts since 3/28/2015

Oh.....the date. I've been had. Haven't i?

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   4   5  ...   Next Page   Last Page (28) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories