Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

246
Fiddle Lovers Online


Discussion Forum

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

 All Forums
 Fiddle Hangout Web Site
 Web Site Problems, Help, etc
 ARCHIVED TOPIC: Spam on different forums


Please note this is an archived topic, so it is locked and unable to be replied to. You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.fiddlehangout.com/archive/54576

carlb - Posted - 01/22/2021:  04:13:59


When I go on FHO every day, the last thing I do is to look at new members. While doing that I've picked, and reported, spam comments to moderators. However, the following is an example of one of the ones that's not been handled by the moderators, though there are quite a few others. The comments in this site are just full of spam and have not been dealt with. Hopefully, by posting this, maybe something will be done, as my reporting efforts have failed.



fiddlehangout.com/tab/browse.a...amp;v=598



PS I've done the same on BHO and the spam remains.


Edited by - carlb on 01/22/2021 04:20:30

ChickenMan - Posted - 01/22/2021:  13:40:37


It really is a problem, especially in the music area. Maybe this will help.

WyoBob - Posted - 01/22/2021:  15:52:25


quote:

Originally posted by ChickenMan

It really is a problem, especially in the music area. Maybe this will help.






Not a problem for me.   With all of the resources available due to these somewhat odd posts, I've grown new hair, smited my enemies, cast spells, lost weight and found true love (and made millions of dollars to boot) with a Nigerian princess.  (I sure hope my wife doesn't find out about this).



And, to be serious (a rare occurrence), yes, it's too bad we have so many bad actors on the FHO.  The BHO does a pretty good job of winnowing out the "chaff".  I suppose due to much more traffic, they have moderators that do a pretty good job of cleaning things up.   As the traffic here is not great, it's probably not worth the effort to have moderator's to do that kind of  "spring cleaning".



I've always wondered, why to these interlopers even bother?  What do they gain?   Most people (having more than a room temperature IQ) just ignore such posts.  Still, it's annoying.



 

carlb - Posted - 02/03/2021:  05:01:50


quote:

Originally posted by carlb

The comments in this site are just full of spam and have not been dealt with. Hopefully, by posting this, maybe something will be done, as my reporting efforts have failed.



fiddlehangout.com/tab/browse.a...amp;v=598




Just checked the link. The comments are all gone, finally, yah! However, there is still a mention that there are "11 Comments", i.e. there used to be 11 comments.

TuneWeaver - Posted - 08/31/2021:  09:02:57


quote:

Originally posted by carlb

When I go on FHO every day, the last thing I do is to look at new members. While doing that I've picked, and reported, spam comments to moderators. However, the following is an example of one of the ones that's not been handled by the moderators, though there are quite a few others. The comments in this site are just full of spam and have not been dealt with. Hopefully, by posting this, maybe something will be done, as my reporting efforts have failed.



fiddlehangout.com/tab/browse.a...amp;v=598



PS I've done the same on BHO and the spam remains.






I'm having a similar problem with a person who I have reported twice.. I checked out the persons homepage list of posts and see that in EVERY post she puts in a 'link'..leading to a different literary/translation/essay service..  I'm hoping a moderator will pick up on that......On the most recent post to one of my threads, I DID click on the link and it was a not functioning site.. Still, something is not right...

carlb - Posted - 08/31/2021:  09:59:17


quote:

Originally posted by TuneWeaver

I'm having a similar problem with a person who I have reported twice..



What I missed, originally, is that on comments on specific media files of mine, right next to the "Report to moderator" there is a delete icon. So you can delete any spam comments made on tunes you've posted.

DougD - Posted - 08/31/2021:  10:01:53


I've spent some time in the last couple days reporting spam comments and posts in the forums. I think most have been removed. Also I sometimes look at the list of new members - you can pretty much tell who's not right.
Lee, you do realize that there aren't really any moderators, don't you?


Edited by - DougD on 08/31/2021 10:02:55

TuneWeaver - Posted - 08/31/2021:  10:58:20


How would I know there are no moderators?? Who has been locking accounts suspected of spam?

TuneWeaver - Posted - 08/31/2021:  11:00:20


quote:

Originally posted by carlb

quote:

Originally posted by TuneWeaver

I'm having a similar problem with a person who I have reported twice..



What I missed, originally, is that on comments on specific media files of mine, right next to the "Report to moderator" there is a delete icon. So you can delete any spam comments made on tunes you've posted.






Thanks, Carl.. I found the garbage can and deleted the comment.

DougD - Posted - 08/31/2021:  11:13:21


Lee, there is a list of moderators under "Forums." None of those people have been active on this site in quite some time. A few years ago there was a call for replacements with no takers.
I assume whatever "moderation" is going on is being done by the site owner. Maybe they're moderating and just don't participate, but that's how it seems to me. Otherwise you would think somone would be screening out the obviously fraudulent "new members."


Edited by - DougD on 08/31/2021 11:20:33

TuneWeaver - Posted - 09/01/2021:  05:48:55


quote:

Originally posted by carlb

quote:

Originally posted by TuneWeaver

I'm having a similar problem with a person who I have reported twice..



What I missed, originally, is that on comments on specific media files of mine, right next to the "Report to moderator" there is a delete icon. So you can delete any spam comments made on tunes you've posted.






Carl, I've been able to make personal contact with a moderator and was able to explain the situation..!!

ChickenMan - Posted - 09/01/2021:  19:43:45


I offered to be a moderator at that time with no response. I guess I am a bit too controversial laugh

NCnotes - Posted - 09/01/2021:  21:49:36


quote:

Originally posted by WyoBob

quote:

Originally posted by ChickenMan

It really is a problem, especially in the music area. Maybe this will help.






Not a problem for me.   With all of the resources available due to these somewhat odd posts, I've grown new hair, smited my enemies, cast spells, lost weight and found true love (and made millions of dollars to boot) with a Nigerian princess.  (I sure hope my wife doesn't find out about this).



 






WyoBob, ha ha ha ha!

Not many people can find humor in spam...maybe only fiddlers...

TuneWeaver - Posted - 09/02/2021:  06:19:23


quote:

Originally posted by ChickenMan

I offered to be a moderator at that time with no response. I guess I am a bit too controversial laugh






It probably had something to do with you being from Iowa!! (Just kidding!).. Have you contacted Eric lately about being a moderator..? You'd make a good one!  I need an 'inside' man!cheeky


Edited by - TuneWeaver on 09/02/2021 06:19:52

DougD - Posted - 09/02/2021:  08:33:15


Billy, I should have said none were chosen, not that there were no volunteers.
Lee, did you get a response from the moderator that you can share?
I'm surprised you would ask "who's been locking accounts?" when the thread up to that point had been you and Carl complaining that no action was being taken on your reports.
Here's an interesting example of the problem: fiddlehangout.com/myhangout/mu...#comments
I don't spend much time on media pages, even my own - do you get notified if there's a new comment? I usually just report spam posts in the forums, and they generally do seem to be removed.


Edited by - DougD on 09/02/2021 08:41:14

ChickenMan - Posted - 09/02/2021:  09:47:46


Whoa Doug, THAT is quite a string of spam. This site is kind of archaic (at least in its look) so I'm not surprised that it is so spam filled.

I've not reached out to Eric because I'm less concerned about the need for moderating.



I think the site automatically and pretty much instantly pulls posts reported as spam. Not sure what happens when it turns out not to be spam. I see Monica Bing is still there.... No wait, it seems that account is currently blocked for suspected spam activity. 


Edited by - ChickenMan on 09/02/2021 09:49:08

WyoBob - Posted - 09/02/2021:  16:27:22


quote:

Originally posted by ChickenMan

Whoa Doug, THAT is quite a string of spam. This site is kind of archaic (at least in its look) so I'm not surprised that it is so spam filled.

I've not reached out to Eric because I'm less concerned about the need for moderating.



I think the site automatically and pretty much instantly pulls posts reported as spam. Not sure what happens when it turns out not to be spam. I see Monica Bing is still there.... No wait, it seems that account is currently blocked for suspected spam activity. 






It's good that there's no moderation.   What would happen to us if there were???smiley

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.03125