Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Sep 27, 2026 - 8:05:47 AM
118 posts since 8/21/2009

I'm working on playing the low strings over chords in various keys. The V chord in E is B. I found B D# F#, the B on the G string to the D# on the D string, 3 high to 1 low a stretch. I tried playing like I'd play a C, with 3,1,3 fingers. It was easy to just shift my hand down a half step. But then it messed me up for the next chord. I gave up on it but then read about something called 1/2 position where all fingers move down a half step. So I'm thinking maybe there's something two it and now I should practice shift 1/2 step down and then back. Good idea?

Sep 27, 2026 - 8:43:19 AM

2596 posts since 3/1/2020
Online Now

Learning to play in half position is useful. To do so doesn’t require a true shift of the hand, more a move of the fingers back a little. It’s intended as a quick departure and you should be able to switch back and forth with first position seamlessly. Just practice it intentionally and it’ll get easier. I’m pretty sure there are etudes devoted to this.

Sep 27, 2026 - 3:28:21 PM

2697 posts since 8/23/2008

My hand has to shift right back to the peg box for half position, that's when I realised the importance of how the pegs are staggered as they are, the peg would be in the way other wise.

Edited by - buckhenry on 09/27/2026 15:31:51

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Fiddle Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

3.515625E-02