Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Sep 23, 2026 - 7:04:28 PM
7126 posts since 8/7/2009

I'm not talking about "Walk Along John To Kansas".  

I learned the version as played by Bruce Molsky on Bob Carlin's CD: "Banging and Sawing"  But....  if you listen to most all of the videos on YouTube and listen to the dozen versions available on Slippery Hill, it would seem that the more "popular / traditional version" has an Em in it - and does not sound like the Molsky version.  

To me - what they are playing is different enough to be considered a different tune - more than a variation.  But...  I've heard local variations of others tunes that were radically different too.  This could be just their "interpretation", even if it isn't a local version.

Does any one know where this version comes from?  

Sep 24, 2026 - 5:11:06 AM
likes this

17 posts since 1/27/2008

From the liner notes- Banjo: gDGDE. Fiddle: GDAE. Source: Tom Fuller via Brad Leftwich. A variant of "Stony Point," the tune is found in Fuller's home state of Oklahoma (Tony Thomas, Takoma Records) and the Ozarks (Simple Pleasures, Art Galbraith, Rounder Records). Not sure if this answers your question. Bill Landers

Sep 24, 2026 - 1:27:37 PM

7126 posts since 8/7/2009

quote:
Originally posted by BillLandersNY

From the liner notes- Banjo: gDGDE. Fiddle: GDAE. Source: Tom Fuller via Brad Leftwich. A variant of "Stony Point," the tune is found in Fuller's home state of Oklahoma (Tony Thomas, Takoma Records) and the Ozarks (Simple Pleasures, Art Galbraith, Rounder Records). Not sure if this answers your question. Bill Landers


Yes.  And Tom Fuller's version is found on Slippery Hill. I must have just over looked it.  Thanks!  That's it.

Sep 30, 2026 - 4:01:52 PM
like this

249 posts since 6/25/2007

The version of “Walk Along John” that Bruce Molsky and Bob Carlin play on the “Banging and Sawing” album is probably where I first heard and learned the tune, but there’s a reason why it sounds different than many other versions. Several years ago, I heard it related that Brad Leftwich, who learned the tune from Oklahoma fiddler Tom Fuller and spread around his version, realized at some point that he had misheard where the downbeat was in one of the parts, but also (I imagine) realized that it was probably way too late to chase down and correct all the fiddlers who had learned it from him, directly or indirectly. But I love the tune both ways, and I’m guessing I’m not the only one! Now, it’s possible that I’ve got the details of this story not exactly right, but it’s the best I can remember it. So Brad (or Bruce or Bob), if you happen to see this post and have any corrections or additions to what I’ve posted here, please feel free to correct me, and my apologies if I’m mistaken about any of this!

Sep 30, 2026 - 6:59:56 PM
likes this

7126 posts since 8/7/2009

quote:
Originally posted by Brendan Doyle

The version of “Walk Along John” that Bruce Molsky and Bob Carlin play on the “Banging and Sawing” album is probably where I first heard and learned the tune, but there’s a reason why it sounds different than many other versions. Several years ago, I heard it related that Brad Leftwich, who learned the tune from Oklahoma fiddler Tom Fuller and spread around his version, realized at some point that he had misheard where the downbeat was in one of the parts, but also (I imagine) realized that it was probably way too late to chase down and correct all the fiddlers who had learned it from him, directly or indirectly. But I love the tune both ways, and I’m guessing I’m not the only one! Now, it’s possible that I’ve got the details of this story not exactly right, but it’s the best I can remember it. So Brad (or Bruce or Bob), if you happen to see this post and have any corrections or additions to what I’ve posted here, please feel free to correct me, and my apologies if I’m mistaken about any of this!


Yes. I learned to play it from Banging and Sawing without knowing there was another version. I still play it regularly. I've told myself that I need to learn the more popular version, but I haven't.  Good intentions...

Nice story / worth telling / and I'll give the credit to you (...or blame wink} Thanks Brendan!

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Fiddle Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1367188