Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Jun 18, 2026 - 9:37:17 AM
like this
204 posts since 3/26/2008

Playing off the Mandolin Cafe's NMD (new mandolin day) topic, I need to talk about my new fiddle. Actually, more about the guy I bought it from.

I bought the Gene Ivey fiddle that was advertised in the FHO Classifieds last week. Mr. Ivey was a regionally well-known fiddler and luthier from Sand Mountain in NE Alabama. I bought it mostly for its provenance (I'm originally from N. AL) and gorgeous woods, but it plays great and sounds pretty good as well. The seller, William Sansbury, lives in the Seattle area and was an absolute pleasure to deal with. He was extremely frank and honest about the instrument and *after* the price was settled upon, did some setup work and fitted new strings of my choice!

Mr. Sansbury posts fiddles here now and then, so if you're shopping the FHO Classifieds, take this as an enthusiastic endorsement of his status as a good seller.

Jun 18, 2026 - 10:23:07 AM

Erockin

USA

1379 posts since 9/3/2022

Can we see and hear it???

Jun 18, 2026 - 10:55:59 AM
likes this

bacfire

USA

204 posts since 3/26/2008

quote:
Originally posted by Erockin

Can we see and hear it???


Well, the pics were still on the marketplace yesterday, but they're gone now.  I'll post some when I get home from work.  As for hearing it...   :^)

Sep 24, 2026 - 11:47:34 PM
like this

3 posts since 9/23/2026

That sounds like a great find, especially with the connection to Gene Ivey and your roots in North Alabama. It’s always nice to hear about a smooth transaction and a seller who goes the extra mile with setup and strings. I’d definitely enjoy seeing some photos and hearing how the fiddle sounds once you get a chance to record it!

Sep 25, 2026 - 3:00:26 AM

martyjoe

Ireland

376 posts since 7/11/2024

Unlike mandolin cafe the FHO has a time limit on threads before they are archived. This means we are all under pressure to buy a new fiddle every once in a while just to keep this thread alive. Sounds like a pretty good excuse to melaugh

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Fiddle Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.2460938