Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  22   23   24  25  26   27   28   Next Page   Last Page (28) 

Mar 19, 2019 - 2:00:44 PM

7458 posts since 3/19/2009

I give up.. What is a 'punter'.

Mar 19, 2019 - 3:17:32 PM
like this

4200 posts since 9/26/2008

Punter = customer/one not playing the music

Edited by - ChickenMan on 03/19/2019 15:17:49

Mar 20, 2019 - 9:48:50 AM

I checked the dictionary of English slang.. Punter: a customer of any business.
My wife usually knows these terms but had never heard of this one .. Guess she has been in the States too long !!!

Mar 21, 2019 - 12:56:40 PM

49 posts since 11/18/2017

Sorry about the punter thing, but we have got it pretty well understood now. It is just one example of the way the English language varies according to where it is used, and who is using it. In my working days, I drove big trucks all over Europe, but for many years within England Scotland and Wales. I have always been fascinated by local dialects, and locally used slang words. I can usually tell which part of the UK a person comes from just by the dialect. I found it amusing that when an English soap opera called "Coronation Street" {Set In Manchester}was sold to an American TV company, they broadcasted it with sub titles. Here in Boston UK, we have had so many immigrants in recent years, as I stand on the street busking, I cant help but notice that many passers by are talking to each other in Polish, Latvian, Russian enc rather than English. It is great that many of them like my music, and give me a tip.

Mar 21, 2019 - 1:06:43 PM

Yesterday I got to buy Vodka for a know drunk.... Go figure... I was busking outside a drug store and the guy went in to buy his bottle of vodka.. He had forgotten to bring his ID with him and they wouldn't sell the vodka to him without an ID..HECK, he is 40 year old and goes in there every day to get his 'fix'.... He asked me if I'd make the purchase for him. I reluctantly agreed because I have known the guy for several years.. When I went in, the clerk eye me suspiciously...because she had seen me and the guy talking outside.. I just blurted out, "HEY, he is 40...and I'm buying going to pay for his vodka." (with his money, of course)..I suspect that the policy of demanding ID is to keep a record of liquor sales in such a way that it is insured that minors don't make purchases... Anyway..It is always sompthin'!!!!

Apr 1, 2019 - 3:38:46 PM

Laughing at myself was required... It was marginally cold today but I thought I'd go busking anyway.. I set up in the sun but a good stiff breeze made me go home after just 30 minutes.. Tips?? well,, 2 cents..
An all time low...

Apr 4, 2019 - 3:55:16 PM

Often I feel like I'm being guided to a particular corner to busk on...Today, 'something' told me to busk in front of the drug store..Tips were NOT good but I felt I should stay at least 90 minutes...However, believe it or not, money is not the only reward for buskers..While on that corner I met two people who I hadn't seen for a long time and a third person asked about getting Suzuki Lessons for her 4 year old son..My kids all took such lessons and my two grandchildren are taking them at this time ..I got to get the lady 'fired up' about lessons for the son..
I told a homeless friend that I wasn't doing well tip-wise and he suggested a different spot but I don't think he understood why I didn't feel the need to move..
By the way..the guys holding "anything helps " signs don't usually get quarters and dollars as tips like us busker get..When people feel compelled to help the sign holding people, they usually give enough for a meal..which means that they get $5, $10 and $20 tips regularly..

Apr 6, 2019 - 12:40:22 PM
like this

I carry two bows in my fiddle case, my favou
rite bow, and an old worn one as a spare. I played at a folk music club last night, and accidentally left my best bow there. I am in the process of trying to get it back, but meanwhile, the old bow is all I have. Busking today was hard work, not playing very well, and for the first twenty minutes, made nothing. I was on the point of giving up. I hung in there, and made £21 in the next forty minutes. Just to show you never can tell. As I am typing this, I have just had a phone call to say my bow has been found, and hopefully, i will be collecting it tomorrow. Nice to know that life is not all negative.

Apr 7, 2019 - 1:14:17 PM
like this

I hosted a extended jam weekend. Billy (Chickenman), Wayne (Cornfed) and Dave (Gandalff lookalike) all drove LOOONG distances to attend.. I have bedrooms for two...We started jamming around 6 PM on Friday and jammed until 11 Pm.. Then  Saturday morning we went to the local farmer's marked...all of us plus Harry Hare..It was FUN busking with these talented guys..At one point we looked up and not only were there an estimated 40 people watching, but three of the forty were about ten year old girls wearing Rabbit Ears.. That got Harry's attention. Little three year old LEO joined us for a while with his fiddle.   We went home and continued to jam until 11 pm on Saturday...I sent the men home on Sunday morning after breakfast and then spent two hours putting my house back together...and then went ...Busking....yep..A bright college girl came by and watched and watched and watched..She was captivated by Harry. She stated that she had a double major....Arabic language and Brain Science...very 'heady' stuff..but what impressed me was that with such majors..she was still child enough to be captivated by a puppet.. She stayed a long time... When I went home..I didn't forget my bow (Neptune)winkwink

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 04/07/2019 13:18:24

Apr 7, 2019 - 2:02:27 PM

Good times were had! Lee, you were an awesome host and I look forward to our next get together. The fact that you also know Dave makes the world a little smaller. For those who care, I met Dave at Clifftop through a group of folks completely unrelated to my time spent with Lee there. I'm glad he spoke up about it or I would have been mulling in over even now "Where do I know that guy from?" :-D

Apr 7, 2019 - 2:03:27 PM
likes this

BTW I'm still on the road stopped for gas. Home in 90 more minutes.

Apr 8, 2019 - 11:08:21 AM
like this

Sounds like you guys had one hell of a weekend. I would love to have been there. I got my bow back on Sunday. It cost me £20 in transport, and the loss of a busking session, but its like heaven regained. I read a quote yesterday which reminded me of the "punters" discussion. " Britain and America are two countries divided by a common language."

Apr 8, 2019 - 1:21:50 PM
like this

My lovely wife has been visiting England for the past two weeks. I'm ready for her to get home.. Today, I was crossing the street alongside a woman who I'd never seen before. We got half way across and she said, "We'll have to quit meeting like this." Funny... good sense of humour....Then, a little later when I was walking back to my vehicle after busking I heard a woman behind me say, "Hey..Sweetie!!" I know I'm cute for a 73 year old man but I wasn't expecting such popularity....I turned and looked behind me.. Lo and behold..some woman was talking to her 'sweetie' on her cell phone.. Yep.. Ready for my wife to get home.

Apr 13, 2019 - 3:07:23 PM
likes this

Busking was interesting today.. Two collaged Japanese ladies conspired in whispers about giving a tip.. Apparently they wanted to tip but had no money...SO.. they offered me a Japanese coin !!! I took it of course...
Also today, I realized that our local homeless population actually sees a 4 block area of our streets as their home. They seem to be oblivious to pedestrians until they need money.. Today, two of my favorites had a yelling match catty-corner across an intersection..One of them apologized to me ...Later the yelling continued across the main street as if the traffic wasn't important..The guys made peace, hugged and hobbled across the street to join their friends..Business as usual..
ALSO, they 'heady' college girl I mentioned recently stopped by again today..still captivated by Harry. I had told her about CLifftop..she looked it up and watched a lot of the videos AND she wants to attend this year, guitar and tent in hand.. That is exciting..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 04/13/2019 15:08:18

Apr 21, 2019 - 1:31:38 PM
likes this

Easter Sunday.. family all busy, so I went busking...Homelessness takes no holiday.. Easter or not, it is just another day for the street people...Today I did well busking and my buddy, Joe, stopped by. He had had a heart issue a couple of weeks ago and is now on blood thinners and other meds.. A young street person asked me for some spare change and he immediately gave it to Joe.. Joe was "out of it".. he needed water..lots of it..but would probably spend the money on alcohol... He himself didn't ask for money, but rather OFFERED ME money.. I refused it.. The young man got tired of taking care of Joe and he literally threw his hands up and walked away.. I ushered Joe to a shaded bench and Forced him to drink some water..I suspect that he was terribly dehydrated... After a while He seemed lucid again.............I was at a loss for ideas about what to do.. The shelter where he stays at night wasn't open yet.. I encouraged him to take what money he had and to get something to EAT, but he had his mind on 'drink'.. I left it at that....
This got me to thinking... I can recall 4 street people who I have personally known who have recently died.......Joe may be the next.........

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 04/21/2019 13:32:28

Apr 22, 2019 - 7:08:26 AM

Interesting story about Joe. I expect that most of us buskers interact with the homeless now and again. I usually drop beggars a pound or so. Some people say you should not as they only spend it on drugs, alcohol or tobacco. My attitude is that they probably lead very boring lives, so as far as I am concerned, it is up to them. For some time now, I have been looking for a better fiddle. I have been considering a carbon fiber fiddle, in particular, one made in Germany called a Mezzo Forte. The retail price is about £2040, which is more than I want to pay. So I was interested to see one on Amazon. This was advertised as used, but in as new condition. The price was £405. The advertiser said to email him before ordering. The email address he gave did not work. So I ordered it anyway. After waiting a week, it did not appear. I checked my credit card and no money had been taken. I messaged him via Amazon, asking what was going on. No response. Then I got an email from Amazon, saying that this sale was now cancelled. What is that old saying? If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. For probably, read definitely.

Apr 22, 2019 - 12:12:51 PM
like this

1215 posts since 4/6/2014

i'm still in awe of buskers, i've "lost my bottle" and i don't busk any more... been living in the woods to long and gone "bushy", not used to town/city folk any more , but i have fond...and not so fond memories of busking from about 10 or 15 years ago. i reckon probably 30 to 50% of my friends and acquaintances from my busking days are now dead and gone ... but i still remember and love them...

Apr 23, 2019 - 10:45:19 AM

Pete, that sounds a bit sad. I hope you still enjoy playing. Who knows, maybe you will busk again. I had a lay off of about 25 years, and still went back to it. I sort of envy you living in the woods.

Apr 23, 2019 - 12:01:40 PM

Often I feel guided to be at a certain place at a certain time... I don't question those urges.. Today I walked a mile to downtown, did some business, and then walked home.. As I was walking home I encountered an old friend who is a fiddler.. He says he fiddles every day but doesn't have the confidence to busk... We had a long talk and I gave him my best "Spiel'' about why he should at least TRY it ...once. I hope to see him on a street corner soon!!??

I also encountered Joe today..the guy who has the heart issue... He is doing well.

Last night I attended the NEW Indianapolis, monthly OLD TIME jam session..It was a blast.  My son and I had dinner across the street from the venue before the jam started... As we sat in an outdoor seating area a man of about 70 years set up a stool nearby on the sidewalk.  He had a bucket of water bottles on ice and a guitar.. Oh, and he had the cutest puppy.... He couldn't actually PLAY the guitar, he said he had just bought it!!!.. Anyway he sang a little and was of interest although not particularly entertaining ( People may say those things about me)...My point is.. He completely lacked FEAR of  busking...I admired that in him.

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 04/23/2019 12:06:32

Apr 27, 2019 - 12:59:54 PM
likes this

There are two commonly know facts about busking..1. you need a 'hook' (I have Harry Hare)....and 2. you can't compete with a kid!!
Today a nice 13 year old boy with a trumpet set up about 150 feet from me on the same street..tips went down the tube for me..When I'd finished busking I went up and gave him a tip and we chatted........He'll do well both as a musician and a busker.......I need to look for a different corner !!!!! wink

Apr 28, 2019 - 2:49:16 PM
likes this

Two things today. First, my friend Larry, who is great on a concertina, joined me for my second stint at the local Street Fair..We had our corner 'rockin'.. even brought in a $20 tip..
The second thing is that a man and wife approached me and told me that they had stolen the idea of Harry Hare...and made their own puppet. I don't mind. Apparently, their puppet plays a ukulele and has the head of Howdy Doody..(who remembers that guy?) ...Anyway.. I wish them good luck..Half of what I do has nothing to do with music but rather direct entertaining.. I hope that have worked up a good shtick!!!

May 4, 2019 - 1:58:58 PM
likes this

Lots of people on the street today.. Indiana University graduation weekend.. I busked for about an hour and a half and packed up to go home..Then, as often happens, a man, his wife, and their two teen boys walked by..Apparently the man had spent a lot of time busking during a year of traveling throughout Mexico.. We had a lot in common and we chatted. He was holding a ten dollar bill and said that my performance was worth a buck apiece and asked if he could make change for the ten.. I said, sure, just dig in... His wife and I chatted as he fingered through the tip money......I joked that he would put in the ten and take out 15...Well........later when I was counting my tips...I was wondering........Nah.. he couldn't have done that.........Could he have??????????

May 4, 2019 - 6:14:16 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver

Two things today. First, my friend Larry, who is great on a concertina, joined me for my second stint at the local Street Fair..We had our corner 'rockin'.. even brought in a $20 tip..
The second thing is that a man and wife approached me and told me that they had stolen the idea of Harry Hare...and made their own puppet. I don't mind. Apparently, their puppet plays a ukulele and has the head of Howdy Doody..(who remembers that guy?) ...Anyway.. I wish them good luck..Half of what I do has nothing to do with music but rather direct entertaining.. I hope that have worked up a good shtick!!!

My lovely wife provided me with a video of said Howdy Doody puppet.. I wasn't impressed, but the potential is there.......We shall see.  Like I said, it is not just the puppet but entertainment issue.

May 9, 2019 - 2:12:46 PM

Another case of being in the right place at the right time.. Today I met a man from New Zealand, and the recent shooting massacre happened just three blocks from his house. He was more than willing to talk about it since he seemed to be still upset.. I can't imagine!!!

A fellow busker was Venting because the police had made him be at least 50 feet from an ATM.. City code only says that 20 feet is enough.. I'll copy the code for my friend and I MAY write an email to the chief of police...
Buskers make our town look good and should not be compared to panhandlers, even though we are looking for a tip just like they are.. Yesterday I spoke to a homeless guy who said that he was sleeping on the sidewalk by a new downtown hotel.. The police woke him and told him to move on.. A passerby gave him $23 for food.....I'm not jealous although I only get tips usually $1 at a time but I'm pointing out that some of the guys holding "anything helps" make a LOT of money..Again, sympathetic passersby often give them enough money for a meal..or two $10-$20...
Our town has multiple services offering food, clothing and shelter so nobody NEEDS to hold out a sign unless they want money for Drugs, Alcohol or possibly personal items that they can't get at shelters..

May 9, 2019 - 6:31:52 PM
likes this

2209 posts since 12/23/2007

Lee, I was in the airport recently, and ran across a busker. Well, a sanctioned busker, anyway. A piano player. I didn't ask, but the signs indicated that he worked strictly for tips.

Anyway, I gave him a good tip, listened a few minutes, and got his permission for some photos. I took this one especially for you.

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  22   23   24  25  26   27   28   Next Page   Last Page (28) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories