Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

46
Fiddle Lovers Online


 All Forums
 Other Fiddle-Related Topics
 Fiddle Building, Setup, and Repair
 ARCHIVED TOPIC: Set time


Please note this is an archived topic, so it is locked and unable to be replied to. You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.fiddlehangout.com/archive/56752

fiddler135 - Posted - 06/01/2022:  07:46:03


What is the set time for hot hide glue? That is; how long do I have to get the clamps on before I have a cold joint? Or/ how long must i hold the joint together for a rubbed joint? Assume strength of 192 and glue temperature of 140 F. (I have an electric glue pot, water bath, qt, the standard black one, hold/heat by Emerson electric)

Brian Wood - Posted - 06/01/2022:  08:59:18


If the joint isn't sprung or doesn't have any forces on you need just a short time. Though the glue purportedly isn't fully cured for 24 hours it grabs and holds in minutes. A rubbed joint doesn't need to be held after you feel the 2 halves grab. Many people are a lot more cautious and why not. If you have any doubt leave things overnight.

fiddler135 - Posted - 06/01/2022:  09:24:57


quote:

Originally posted by Brian Wood

If the joint isn't sprung or doesn't have any forces on you need just a short time. Though the glue purportedly isn't fully cured for 24 hours it grabs and holds in minutes. A rubbed joint doesn't need to be held after you feel the 2 halves grab. Many people are a lot more cautious and why not. If you have any doubt leave things overnight.






I am gluing a rib to a corner block. How long do I have to get the clamp on? 

Brian Wood - Posted - 06/01/2022:  10:50:08


If you are not relying on the clamp to pull parts together in some way, then not very long. But again, if you're worried there might be stress there I would leave the clamp on a couple hours minimum, personally.

captainhook - Posted - 06/01/2022:  14:15:55


Brian, he's talking about open time. I would recommend doing a little testing, but if it is just one end of a rib I would expect that you would have a minute or two at least. Even if it has started to gel a little it should hold.

fiddler135 - Posted - 06/01/2022:  14:59:57


quote:

Originally posted by captainhook

Brian, he's talking about open time. I would recommend doing a little testing, but if it is just one end of a rib I would expect that you would have a minute or two at least. Even if it has started to gel a little it should hold.



 Thanks- I finally did find the answer in print; one minute or less. Obviously "less" is for high gram strength glues.



A follow up question: how does "sizing" affect open time? Does it give you more time or less? 






 

Brian Wood - Posted - 06/01/2022:  15:18:37


quote:

Originally posted by captainhook

Brian, he's talking about open time. I would recommend doing a little testing, but if it is just one end of a rib I would expect that you would have a minute or two at least. Even if it has started to gel a little it should hold.






You're right. I missed that. Good to hear from you, Lyle. One thing I often do is use a heat gun to warm the pieces, at least in the winter. I admit I get nervous about open time and try to move fast. Your advice is probably good. If it gels too much I would clean up and start over.

Brian Wood - Posted - 06/01/2022:  15:30:28


quote:

Originally posted by fiddler135

 

A follow up question: how does "sizing" affect open time? Does it give you more time or less? 






 






Hard question. The new glue needs to be hot enough to warm the sizing so they bond as one. Too much open time isn't good. On the other hand the sizing has already covered and penetrated the piece so if it does bond it should be good. Personally, I try to glue things as quickly as I can regardless of other considerations, and not rely on anything but that. Also, I am not an expert, I am answering from my personal experience.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Fiddle Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.0625