Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

58
Fiddle Lovers Online


Apr 15, 2024 - 1:35:12 PM
like this
6519 posts since 8/7/2009

...but I'm going.  We'll be there Thursday, leave Sunday.

62nd Annual Mountain View Folk Festival

Anyone else?

Edited by - tonyelder on 04/15/2024 13:35:42

Apr 15, 2024 - 2:35:27 PM
likes this

Fiddler

USA

4396 posts since 6/22/2007

I'll be there Thursday late afternoon. Old-time Central is the porch of the Wildflower B&B just off the Square. I'll be staying at the Country Inn B&B this year. I think everyone, or just about everyone, staying at the Wildflower is part of the old-time crowd.

Hopefully, the rain will stay away. 60% chance on Saturday. But, no worries! We know places!

I look forward to meeting you, Tony! Safe travels.

Edited by - Fiddler on 04/15/2024 14:46:30

Apr 16, 2024 - 9:20:59 AM
likes this

6519 posts since 8/7/2009

quote:
Originally posted by Fiddler

I'll be there Thursday late afternoon. Old-time Central is the porch of the Wildflower B&B just off the Square. I'll be staying at the Country Inn B&B this year. I think everyone, or just about everyone, staying at the Wildflower is part of the old-time crowd.

Hopefully, the rain will stay away. 60% chance on Saturday. But, no worries! We know places!

I look forward to meeting you, Tony! Safe travels.


Got a text message this morning from Kevin (The Inn), they had a cancelation and offered it to us.  But... it would have meant a last minute cancelation of the Guest house we have reserved. That wouldn't be fair to the owners. I did request that they give us the reservation for next year at the Inn, if it is available. We'll see.

See you there!!!

Edited by - tonyelder on 04/16/2024 09:28:39

Apr 16, 2024 - 12:20:19 PM
likes this

Fiddler

USA

4396 posts since 6/22/2007

quote:
Originally posted by tonyelder
quote:
Originally posted by Fiddler

I'll be there Thursday late afternoon. Old-time Central is the porch of the Wildflower B&B just off the Square. I'll be staying at the Country Inn B&B this year. I think everyone, or just about everyone, staying at the Wildflower is part of the old-time crowd.

Hopefully, the rain will stay away. 60% chance on Saturday. But, no worries! We know places!

I look forward to meeting you, Tony! Safe travels.


Got a text message this morning from Kevin (The Inn), they had a cancelation and offered it to us.  But... it would have meant a last minute cancelation of the Guest house we have reserved. That wouldn't be fair to the owners. I did request that they give us the reservation for next year at the Inn, if it is available. We'll see.

See you there!!!


I am looking forward to meeting you in person!! See you soon. Safe travels.

Apr 16, 2024 - 3:21:56 PM
like this

6463 posts since 9/26/2008

I love it when FHOers meet in real life! Have fun fellas, make some memories and share them with us stuck in the middle of the country from the action.

Apr 21, 2024 - 8:40:59 PM
like this

6519 posts since 8/7/2009

Mountain View Folk Festival was no disappointment. We could always hope to play more, but a lot of times we are the reason we don't play more. That's ok. 
It sure is a fun place to visit. I need to get out more.

I did get to finally shake the hand of a long time FHO friend. Kirk is a first class human being, made me feel welcomed among all his "regular" festival friends. He made sure I met them all.  And I sure enjoyed listening to his fiddling. The real deal. I sure enjoyed the tunes we got to play together.

I do have pictures and maybe a video from my wife of us playing. I'll try to figure out how to do that - and as long as Kirk doesn't mind - I'll post them later.

Edited by - tonyelder on 04/21/2024 20:45:18

Apr 22, 2024 - 8:46:12 AM
like this

6519 posts since 8/7/2009

I hope Kirk doesn't mind. I'll use the excuse that I uploaded a photo of me - he just happened to be in it. I figured if I sat beside Kirk, he would make me look better and sound better too. I think it worked. yes

The video is another thing. It looks like it requires the video to be posted on YouTube and then the link saved to FHO for it to be included here. hmmm.... not really sure about doing that.

What a shame.... It is a great video of 2 really excellent fiddlers just "tearing it up".  laugh


Edited by - tonyelder on 04/22/2024 08:52:50

Apr 22, 2024 - 8:59:49 AM
like this

DougD

USA

11892 posts since 12/2/2007

Thanks for that. Good to see there are still some "old timers" around! Do you know who the third fiddler is?
Too bad about the video. It seems a weakness of this site that you can only include videos that are on YouTube. The only other way I know of is to upload it to a sharing site like Dropbox (or maybe Soundcloud?) and post a link here. Its not as convenient though, and doesn't get you on the "front page" of the site.

Edited by - DougD on 04/22/2024 09:01:29

Apr 22, 2024 - 9:23:39 AM
likes this

6519 posts since 8/7/2009

quote:
Originally posted by DougD

Thanks for that. Good to see there are still some "old timers" around! Do you know who the third fiddler is?
Too bad about the video. It seems a weakness of this site that you can only include videos that are on YouTube. The only other way I know of is to upload it to a sharing site like Dropbox (or maybe Soundcloud?) and post a link here. Its not as convenient though, and doesn't get you on the "front page" of the site.


Unfortunately, I don't know the lady sitting beside me. I get the impression she is a "local" fiddler. She seemed to be following along with "Fiddlin' Banjo Billy Mathews"  (a local legend) pretty well on a lot of tunes. He played a lot of rags and tune in the key of C. I sat out on most of those - figuring anything I might attempt to do would be a distraction for others. But - on the tunes I did know...  well, I had fun.

I wonder if I can post a link to a video that is uploaded on Facebook? Has anyone done that?

Edited by - tonyelder on 04/22/2024 09:24:54

Apr 22, 2024 - 1:19:52 PM
like this

Fiddler

USA

4396 posts since 6/22/2007

quote:
Originally posted by tonyelder

I hope Kirk doesn't mind. I'll use the excuse that I uploaded a photo of me - he just happened to be in it. I figured if I sat beside Kirk, he would make me look better and sound better too. I think it worked. yes

The video is another thing. It looks like it requires the video to be posted on YouTube and then the link saved to FHO for it to be included here. hmmm.... not really sure about doing that.

What a shame.... It is a great video of 2 really excellent fiddlers just "tearing it up".  laugh


Nice to meet you, Tony!! Finally, I don't care what they say about you, you are a wonderful person! ... and a good fiddler as well. 

You know what they say about photos - you always sound real good in them!

Apr 22, 2024 - 1:31:41 PM
like this

Fiddler

USA

4396 posts since 6/22/2007

quote:
Originally posted by tonyelder
quote:
Originally posted by DougD

Thanks for that. Good to see there are still some "old timers" around! Do you know who the third fiddler is?
Too bad about the video. It seems a weakness of this site that you can only include videos that are on YouTube. The only other way I know of is to upload it to a sharing site like Dropbox (or maybe Soundcloud?) and post a link here. Its not as convenient though, and doesn't get you on the "front page" of the site.


Unfortunately, I don't know the lady sitting beside me. I get the impression she is a "local" fiddler. She seemed to be following along with "Fiddlin' Banjo Billy Mathews"  (a local legend) pretty well on a lot of tunes. He played a lot of rags and tune in the key of C. I sat out on most of those - figuring anything I might attempt to do would be a distraction for others. But - on the tunes I did know...  well, I had fun.

I wonder if I can post a link to a video that is uploaded on Facebook? Has anyone done that?


The woman fiddler is Suzi Lindsay Vause. She is from Missouri. Billy Mathews has been around a while. He used to live in remote northwest Arkansas near the Missouri boarder. I think he has recently moved closer to a town. He used to have a banjo company (Phillipsburg Banjos) and he played with the Skirtlifters (Clarke Beuhling, Jim Lansford and someone else). He has a boat-load of tunes that he has collected from all over. His specialty seems to be C-tunes. If he is in the session and if he ever takes the lead, you can be sure that the remaining time in the session will be in C. "Here's a real easy one." he would say before launching into something somewhat complicated. He has had his unfair share of health issues, but he is resilient! I do enjoy seeing him! (We visited quite a bit Friday morning.) I have know him for nearly 40 years.

Apr 22, 2024 - 1:42:40 PM
likes this

Fiddler

USA

4396 posts since 6/22/2007

Here's another photo of me and Tony. 

Sometimes I tend forget that there are real people behind these posts and that they are usually pretty nice folks. This is one person that is cream of the crop!! I am glad to have finally met Tony in person!!


Apr 22, 2024 - 2:31:10 PM
like this

6463 posts since 9/26/2008

This just warms my old heart. Glad to see the pics and Kirk, you're right, you guys sound amazing! laugh

Apr 22, 2024 - 3:32:27 PM
likes this

Fiddler

USA

4396 posts since 6/22/2007

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan

This just warms my old heart. Glad to see the pics and Kirk, you're right, you guys sound amazing! laugh


Virtuoso level playing!!

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Fiddle Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1914063