likes this

Erockin

USA

840 posts since 9/3/2022

quote:
Originally posted by Lonesome Fiddler
quote:
Originally posted by Erockin

Yeah, and how about when all your friends know you're learning the fiddle and the first time they see you.... and they say "Hey, play us a song" and I fold.
So yeah, when you own it, you can play it on request. I have a pretty bad ass twinkle twinkle little star though if ya'll wanna hear it? lol

Years and years of playing scales on guitar, piano and fiddle have made it so I can wrest a good two-thirds of a commonly known tune from my fingers the first time out. The thing is, my rendition has gotta be in one of the keys my brain is comfortable with. In other words, don't demand a rendition in B Major...

I hear ya. I can watch someone instructing a lesson and can see it...I can hear it....and sometimes play it. But not right. Listening is def a crucial tool. 

Get this. Learning Cold Frosty Morning right now and the A part went pretty good, the B part not so good. At this point, I was learning it super slow to get the notes. I said to my teacher, "I'm so used to hearing this song at speed, that it doesn't sound or make sense when played really slow." I explained maybe we should try it at speed. And it worked!!! It made so much more sense. I'm working on getting it at 96bpm by tomorrow's lesson. We'll see. 

Oct 31, 2023 - 10:16:39 AM

1111 posts since 7/30/2021

I don’t think of anybody as “owning” a tune, but there are a few that I know/play well enough that I get requests to lead it or I get asked to teach it…

that’s probably my closest to “owning”, but I am not the type to ever say I “own” any tune :-)

Oct 31, 2023 - 10:27:49 AM
likes this

2377 posts since 4/6/2014

I have to own a tune while i'm playing it....Bad timing, Intonation, bloopers and all. How would i play if i didn't play with conviction, and own my mistakes...And hopefully some good bits as well ? indecision

Oct 31, 2023 - 10:49:16 AM
likes this

11374 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by pete_fiddle

I have to own a tune while i'm playing it....Bad timing, Intonation, bloopers and all. How would i play if i didn't play with conviction, and own my mistakes...And hopefully some good bits as well ? indecision

There IS that..With even my best playing.. I'll mess up if I try something that doesn't work..I call those mess ups 'variations'.

Oct 31, 2023 - 10:57:04 AM
likes this

2377 posts since 4/6/2014

Some times though, they are just " good ol' " mistakes that you've just got to own....If you get out of em , all well and good laugh

Edit: but don't forget to keep a straight face indecision

Edited by - pete_fiddle on 10/31/2023 10:59:10

Nov 1, 2023 - 6:31:08 AM
likes this

RobBob

USA

2973 posts since 6/26/2007

A fiddler will play a tune with everything you expect in it and something of themselves in it that makes it better than you imagined.

Page:  First Page   1  2

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Fiddle Hangout. All Rights Reserved.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories