Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Oct 26, 2023 - 5:07:08 AM
likes this

Earworm

USA

522 posts since 1/30/2018

Have you started experimenting with pulsing? It can by you some time and give you more choices with bow direction.

Oct 26, 2023 - 6:04:06 AM

Erockin

USA

840 posts since 9/3/2022

quote:
Originally posted by Earworm

Have you started experimenting with pulsing? It can by you some time and give you more choices with bow direction.

Hmm. I'm probably doing that somewhat...Not really sure I've been "taught" the pulse but I've watched videos on it...

Oct 26, 2023 - 7:03:07 AM
like this

Earworm

USA

522 posts since 1/30/2018

Correction: “buy you time” 

As soon as you know it’s allowed, you can play with it. If you don’t want to change directions, don’t, and just play through to the next beat. Listen for it when hearing others play. I wouldn’t overdo it, but it can be very useful, and sounds nice too.

Edited by - Earworm on 10/26/2023 07:08:29

Dec 4, 2023 - 5:39:16 AM

Erockin

USA

840 posts since 9/3/2022

So here's what direction I've been working on....

I've realized I've missed some essential and circuital elements to fiddling and that's knowing what direction to head in. I've cut back on in person lessons and my teacher gave me this assignment. 4 different patterns to work on. For no with the G scale, ascending and descending.

#1 down up down up down up down etc...

#2 down down up up down down up etc...

#3 down down down up down down down up etc...

#4 up up up down up up up down up up up down etc...

I'm going to continue playing and working on everything else but I'm seeing how important it is to structure your practice and not fool yourself. I get good at following the notes but I can't make it sound like music and that's mainly because I'm still not aware of what direction I'm going. But I've made a promise that I won't move forward until I have those patterns down.

Dec 4, 2023 - 6:18:59 AM
like this

1350 posts since 3/1/2020

Working on bow changes at the frog makes a huge difference in the fluidity of bowing, and players don’t all have the same approach to it. One of the skills a player needs to be able to reverse bowings without difficulty lies in this skill.

Playing a down bow, the bow follows gravity and is often thought of as being therefore more powerful. An up bow requires the bow to be moved against gravity and takes an additional evenness in speed and pressure to remain smooth.

There used to be something known as the “Iron-clad Rule of the Down Bow,” and in earlier forms of violin music it was strictly adhered to. In dance music, this rule is useful for providing aural and visual cues to dancers and musicians alike.

As the music changed, some of the rules for playing it were relaxed. I would say that, for the most part, players still generally use down bows to start sections, but there are some who either deliberately buck the trend or just don’t put emphasis on bowing direction. That choice often depends on the music itself or on the ability to play smoothly.

Bowing pattern exercises like those listed are very helpful. You can get a lot of great insight into the mechanics of bowing from Kreutzer’s etudes or from Tartini’s “Art of Bowing.”

Dec 5, 2023 - 12:06:44 PM
like this

11374 posts since 3/19/2009

The topic has gotten away from me a little so please excuse me if my comment seems out of place...Once, I tried to learn the ''play three, slur three, play two'' pattern..(I THINK I learned it watching a Irish instructional video)...Anyway, I played it a lot and tried to get comfortable with it..Guess what!... after a few weeks it started showing up in many of my tunes even without thinking.
So. Challenge yourself.. That is pretty much it.. Challenge yourself..Try playing a tune just using Saw Stroke. Try playing the SAME tune with the 'long short short' pattern, and then try playing the SAME tune using '' short, long, short, long, short short'' Don't think for one moment that there is only one way to bow a tune..
OK.. I'm done...I'll go awaysmiley

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 12/05/2023 12:07:35

Dec 6, 2023 - 11:00:07 AM
likes this

Erockin

USA

840 posts since 9/3/2022

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver

The topic has gotten away from me a little so please excuse me if my comment seems out of place...Once, I tried to learn the ''play three, slur three, play two'' pattern..(I THINK I learned it watching a Irish instructional video)...Anyway, I played it a lot and tried to get comfortable with it..Guess what!... after a few weeks it started showing up in many of my tunes even without thinking.
So. Challenge yourself.. That is pretty much it.. Challenge yourself..Try playing a tune just using Saw Stroke. Try playing the SAME tune with the 'long short short' pattern, and then try playing the SAME tune using '' short, long, short, long, short short'' Don't think for one moment that there is only one way to bow a tune..
OK.. I'm done...I'll go awaysmiley

Great encouragement!! I get around some of these melodies but usually they just aren't right...lol. Or at least the way I'm showed. I don't think at all this point besides trying to start every phrase on the down because no matter a tune is showed to me, my instinct was to start on an UP. When that's ok if you want to do that but it's hard for me to do what I'm showed...

I have 4 bow pattern warm ups and lessons now that I'm focused on. Then I mess with some scales and eventually run a couple tunes. 

Dec 6, 2023 - 5:16:31 PM
like this

3261 posts since 10/22/2007

Bowing "The Fiddle Tune" has been the pain in my existence since 2003. The problem lies in the phrase/phrasing where the phrase ends, but it feels like the bow is not in the correct position. So rather than picking up the bow and starting the next phrase properly, I add a note that should NOT be there! Worse? I don't know I'm doing it until I hear the playback. Worse? I don't know if I can fix it. This is to let you know, it's a lifetime journey. This is why I lean to stuff I can do, rather than the hard stuff. One can go a long ways, but there's no hidin, because it's music. It has it's rules. It's good to spend equal amounts working/learning and enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Dec 9, 2023 - 4:07:41 PM
like this

Peghead

USA

1697 posts since 1/21/2009

When I work the passage out to where I like the phrasing (where the slurs sound good) I’ll practice it in both directions so which ever way it arrives in the tune I’m comfortable with it. It’s usually down bow but not always which I think is a good thing. You can make everything land in one direction if you choose, just add or subtract a slur from the grouping. I’ve never heard it make a big difference. Sometimes with jumps you can work it out to where the bow is top heavy when you want to go to a lower string and use gravity to make the string crossing like the bow just wants to fall over.

Edited by - Peghead on 12/09/2023 16:10:36

Dec 11, 2023 - 4:25:23 AM

Erockin

USA

840 posts since 9/3/2022

quote:
Originally posted by farmerjones

Bowing "The Fiddle Tune" has been the pain in my existence since 2003. The problem lies in the phrase/phrasing where the phrase ends, but it feels like the bow is not in the correct position. So rather than picking up the bow and starting the next phrase properly, I add a note that should NOT be there! Worse? I don't know I'm doing it until I hear the playback. Worse? I don't know if I can fix it. This is to let you know, it's a lifetime journey. This is why I lean to stuff I can do, rather than the hard stuff. One can go a long ways, but there's no hidin, because it's music. It has it's rules. It's good to spend equal amounts working/learning and enjoying the fruits of your labor.

This comment resonates with me!

Dec 11, 2023 - 4:27:07 AM

Erockin

USA

840 posts since 9/3/2022

quote:
Originally posted by Peghead

When I work the passage out to where I like the phrasing (where the slurs sound good) I’ll practice it in both directions so which ever way it arrives in the tune I’m comfortable with it. It’s usually down bow but not always which I think is a good thing. You can make everything land in one direction if you choose, just add or subtract a slur from the grouping. I’ve never heard it make a big difference. Sometimes with jumps you can work it out to where the bow is top heavy when you want to go to a lower string and use gravity to make the string crossing like the bow just wants to fall over.

This comment also resonates with me...It's like you're in my head...lol

Dec 18, 2023 - 5:29:54 AM
like this

Erockin

USA

840 posts since 9/3/2022

groundhogpeggy quoted a banjo guy in another post and I dug it....Don't let the left hand be the boss, keep true to right hand groove...and I totally get that. That was inspiring for me, Peg. I attended a light attended jam yesterday and took my fiddle anticipating some smoking jams and it was not that at all...lol. Garsh darn....upright bass, a lightly played guitar and then me...oh my. This morning I woke up and realized what I had done...lol. I'm better off at home jamming to fiddle tunes as opposed to playing in front of a crowd. They played tunes in E and F and I went for it.

Dec 24, 2023 - 8:00:10 AM
likes this

Quincy

Belgium

816 posts since 1/16/2021

Pay attention to what Rayna Gellert says about at least this tune on bow directions (starts from 9:17)

I notice i slowly start to play with bow directions., it feels like freedom to me.

youtu.be/Vp9LhQInaN0

Jan 2, 2024 - 5:27:35 AM

Erockin

USA

840 posts since 9/3/2022

Rayna is awesome too, btw....Thanks!

Jan 3, 2024 - 4:27:08 AM

Erockin

USA

840 posts since 9/3/2022

I tell ya, I am landing more Down Bows now...now that I'm thinking about it. When I watch so many fiddlers, I see lots of Ups on the 1 but it's mostly REALLY good players that I'm watching and so fluid.

Page:  First Page   1  2

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Fiddle Hangout. All Rights Reserved.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories