Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

4
Fiddle Lovers Online


Jan 23, 2023 - 6:07:25 AM
like this
253 posts since 9/3/2022

Ok. So here it goes. This isn't really finished, nor does it sound that good but last night after I attended my first jam where I played fiddle, I was inspired. So I poured some wine, set up the mics, and recorded a song I wrote recently titled "Franklin County" in the key of D.
I need to add some back up vocals on the chorus yet. I've explained before how hard it was to record fiddle and this is still very off, shaky, screetchy and pitchy but, it's better than my first time I tried so, I've gotten a little better. I had to lay all of this out because it's bad but it's getting better and that's what it's all about. Progress! Please, don't hesitate to cut it up...lol. It's only been 4 months and remember, I'm that impatient guy but I appreciate your alls encouragement and support!

Jan 23, 2023 - 6:35:25 AM
like this

14146 posts since 9/23/2009

Wow, Eric! I thought that was GREAT! 4 months of fiddling, did you say????? Gee whiz. That's really good. Thanks for sharing...I think you got a really nice song there and the fiddle fit in really well.

Jan 23, 2023 - 6:40:24 AM
likes this

Erockin

USA

253 posts since 9/3/2022

quote:
Originally posted by groundhogpeggy

Wow, Eric! I thought that was GREAT! 4 months of fiddling, did you say????? Gee whiz. That's really good. Thanks for sharing...I think you got a really nice song there and the fiddle fit in really well.


You're too kind, Peggy! Thanks for listening. I also wanted to point out that I'm lost when it comes to bowing. What I'm thinking ain't happening! But again, that requires at least 10k hours of practice. Only 9,950 more hours until my next recording..lol

Jan 23, 2023 - 10:53:36 AM
likes this

262 posts since 9/6/2011

I like it ! Keep it up.


 

Edited by - imapicker2 on 01/23/2023 11:03:59

Jan 23, 2023 - 11:51:28 AM

Erockin

USA

253 posts since 9/3/2022

quote:
Originally posted by imapicker2

I like it ! Keep it up.


Thanks! That's a pretty fiddle yaa got there!

Jan 23, 2023 - 6:47 PM
like this

693 posts since 7/30/2021

No cutting up here, I am impressed!

Fiddling has just the right vibe, goes so nice with your good original song! :-) Franklin county what state? We used to live in Franklin county! (TN). 

Edited by - NCnotes on 01/23/2023 18:58:24

Jan 23, 2023 - 7:52:46 PM
likes this

14146 posts since 9/23/2009

My first thought was TN too, but I think he's in Pennsylvania...they got a Franklin County there too, Eric?

Jan 24, 2023 - 4:18:25 AM
likes this

Erockin

USA

253 posts since 9/3/2022

Yes indeed! Franklin County is South Central PA...right on what they called the "Mason Dixon Line."
NCnotes , thanks for taking the time! Eventually I want to post a performance video. I just started working on "Whiteface" last night.
I'm addicted to that song. For some reason, certain songs just come at ya and they are there.

For that Franklin County song I plan to kinda redo it with claw hammer banjo and some back ups.

Jan 24, 2023 - 7:07:03 AM
likes this

693 posts since 7/30/2021

Ooo that sounds interesting, look forward to listening :-)

Jan 24, 2023 - 8:58:04 AM
likes this

2092 posts since 4/6/2014

Good Stuff!

Yep "White Face" I fell for that tune as well, it's hypnotic.

As an "aside note", Joe Thrift learned to make fiddles just down the road from me at the Newark Violin place. Also another great Irish fiddler and maker, Paul Bradley (worth looking up if only for his wonderful cd "Atlantic Roar" ) learned there as well. and probably many others too..

Edited by - pete_fiddle on 01/24/2023 08:59:54

Jan 24, 2023 - 9:25:57 AM
likes this

Erockin

USA

253 posts since 9/3/2022

quote:
Originally posted by pete_fiddle

Good Stuff!

Yep "White Face" I fell for that tune as well, it's hypnotic.

As an "aside note", Joe Thrift learned to make fiddles just down the road from me at the Newark Violin place. Also another great Irish fiddler and maker, Paul Bradley (worth looking up if only for his wonderful cd "Atlantic Roar" ) learned there as well. and probably many others too..


Thank you for the suggestion! 

Jan 24, 2023 - 10:18:27 AM
likes this

2092 posts since 4/6/2014

Apologies, i didn't mean to hijack your thread with my anecdotes and suggestions...I get carried away talking to creative people like yourself.

Thanks for posting your song.smiley

 

Jan 24, 2023 - 10:41 AM
like this

229 posts since 1/25/2021

I am absolutely blown away, 4 months, that is really, really incredible. Great tune, as well, bob on intonation and double stops, excellent stuff.

Jan 24, 2023 - 10:48:57 AM
likes this

Erockin

USA

253 posts since 9/3/2022

quote:
Originally posted by pete_fiddle

Apologies, i didn't mean to hijack your thread with my anecdotes and suggestions...I get carried away talking to creative people like yourself.

Thanks for posting your song.smiley

 


No way! Highjack away! I love learning about fiddlers and new fiddle music. There is more than one can learn in a life time!

Jan 24, 2023 - 11:06:26 AM
likes this

690 posts since 6/11/2019

Good job! You on the vocals? Love the texture of the minor chord.

Sounds kind of Tim O'Brien-ish--a compliment as I am a fan

Regarding the recording and sound, I'm afraid I can't add anything as I'm a plebe in that area

Jan 24, 2023 - 11:25:39 AM

Erockin

USA

253 posts since 9/3/2022

quote:
Originally posted by Flat_the_3rd_n7th

Good job! You on the vocals? Love the texture of the minor chord.

Sounds kind of Tim O'Brien-ish--a compliment as I am a fan

Regarding the recording and sound, I'm afraid I can't add anything as I'm a plebe in that area


Aww, thanks for listening...yeah that's me...I love to write songs. 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.203125