Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Jul 29, 2022 - 9:41:53 AM
likes this

675 posts since 7/30/2021

Such lovely lyrics, Astrang...made a lump in my throat. If you've ever lost a friend...

Jul 29, 2022 - 2:14:04 PM
like this

14133 posts since 9/23/2009

Old Scratch...I had the same experience with drawing, sketching, painting, etc. I grew up loving to do that but finally realized I was working hard, spending all my money and time on a sketch or one thing or another only to have to squoosh it away in some drawer and throw it out several years later when it was crumpled up and ruined from bad storage. Same with writing...I used to enjoy writing, but same thing...spend a lot of time and work and then after it's been in the way sitting in isolation for years, you have to throw it out. Now...music...no...I don't enjoy trying to write it except maybe making up something quick and letting it dissolve into the universe after it dissipates...it's not interesting to anybody much that I can see...there's so much good old stuff out there to mess around with...still...almost seems like at this point I spend a lot of energy and effort recording them, then...kinda drifts down into the bottomless abysses of youtube...sometimes it seems pointless to keep working so hard at nothing.

I do though enjoy making picture blankets...pixelated simple images on a blanket...lots of work and time but then I give them to someone who usually uses them, enjoys them, stays warm with them, etc. Practical and pragmatic...the only thing I've found to be practical and pragmatic and effort with some sense of reward to it.

Jul 29, 2022 - 5:04:02 PM

519 posts since 7/18/2014

Thank you NCnotes for the kind words.
I think it's fun to spaz out over words.

Aug 6, 2022 - 2:25:06 PM

2871 posts since 10/22/2007

Y'know, I was listening to a podcast that was talking about Billy Joe Shaver.
It reminded me of something I had forgotten. It really has to do with most any endeavor. But let's stay on song writing. People sitting in song writing class, ask what the Golden Feather is? Long and short of it is, a songwriter, many of the gifted, have no choice. It's busting to get out. Many years ago there was a thread on practicing fiddle. I think my reply was something like, try to stop me from practicing. It's true today. I'm happiest when playing music. But I don't stress and strain to think of original songs. I keep my antennas up, just in case. Life is good.

Aug 6, 2022 - 3:44:09 PM
likes this

Old Scratch

Canada

1087 posts since 6/22/2016

groundhogpeggy "after it's been in the way sitting in isolation for years, you have to throw it out" - I've been facing the reality of that lately ... have reached the stage where I worry about leaving a huge pile of junk and mountains of paper behind for my heirs and assigns to deal with ... but at the same time, I'm too vain, apparently, to easily accept that it is all ... worthless. "Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity." That's one Biblical quotation I should have hanging on my wall - you don't happen to have it in needlepoint in a neat little frame, do you?  Don't throw it out - I could use it!

Edited by - Old Scratch on 08/06/2022 15:46:58

Aug 6, 2022 - 5:07:09 PM

2148 posts since 12/11/2008

I wrote my share of songs back in the late 1960's - mid 1970's. The band mates in my rock group uniformly hated them and instead always went for the songs of the other guitarist (though his weren't very great, either). I'd sometimes audition the songs at hoot nights at bars. They didn't get much of a response. In any case, yeah, I freely confess that my songwriting career was a tad less than stellar.

Aug 6, 2022 - 5:45:46 PM
likes this

14133 posts since 9/23/2009

I hear ya Old Scratch. We work on stuff and put in everything we've got. Then, one day we realize...that...so what? lol...I guess enjoying the process is the thing to hang onto.

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories