Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

May 6, 2022 - 5:09:06 PM
like this

bsed55

USA

4224 posts since 6/23/2007

I'm watching the Brewers play in Atlanta. Behind the batter's box I see a banner ad for Fiddler Bourbon. Is this good stuff? Should we all be drinking this? Or will it rot your insides? Never heard of this stuff.

Edited by - bsed55 on 05/06/2022 17:10:06

May 6, 2022 - 5:26:12 PM

DougD

USA

10589 posts since 12/2/2007
Online Now

I noticed the sign a few days ago during the last Braves home stand. Never heard of it before. Who wants to be first?

May 6, 2022 - 5:42:53 PM

Swing

USA

2134 posts since 6/26/2007

Let me know more.....

Play Happy

Swing

May 6, 2022 - 6:41:36 PM

559 posts since 6/11/2019

Tho I am on a mission trip to save the heatherns in the Ozarks, I'm 6th-gen Georgia, with relations in Dawson County, the biggest shine producer in the biggest shine state. So, it's in my blood, I know how to make it, and I still do. Most is unaged, but I set some aside to age with white oak from on my farm, for Christmas presents, company and what have you.

My opinion is that it's just another outsider attempt at getting your money. Anything Atlanta is outsider these days. Trying to use the GA cred to sell a product. I'm sure it's good, but not authentic.

Yankees should stick to likker they are good at, like "jack"--applejack and such as that.

May 7, 2022 - 5:33:02 AM
like this

520 posts since 9/1/2010

After doing a bit of research I found that the master distiller is our own hangout member "blockader". I remember him posting here years ago and he is a fine old-time fiddler. As for the bourbon, it has won numerous awards in the last 5 years at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition so I would say it's worth a try (if the $70 price tag doesn't scare you away).

Here is a video he posted several years ago.  I'm sure many of you remember him.

https://youtu.be/G0P_nmrl32U

May 7, 2022 - 6:20:18 AM
Players Union Member

boxbow

USA

2720 posts since 2/3/2011

quote:
Originally posted by DougD

I noticed the sign a few days ago during the last Braves home stand. Never heard of it before. Who wants to be first?

I just wanted to be First with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FsJe4DScDs

May 7, 2022 - 6:30:46 AM
like this

DougD

USA

Online Now

Thanks for that, Michael. Good to see that Justin is moving ahead in his career. Maybe we can sit down with him for a tune and a taste someday.

May 7, 2022 - 7:42:17 AM
likes this

520 posts since 9/1/2010

quote:

Thanks for that, Michael. Good to see that Justin is moving ahead in his career. Maybe we can sit down with him for a tune and a taste someday.

You're welcome, Doug.  You can count me in for a tune and a taste.  I may try to go visit the distillery when I'm down in Marietta later this year.

May 9, 2022 - 2:55:03 AM
like this

224 posts since 6/25/2007

A fine fiddler friend from Georgia gave a bottle of Fiddler bourbon to my wife for her birthday several years ago, and I can report that it is quite good. Taste is very individual, of course, but we sure liked it - so well that it is long gone now, as we shared it with many a visiting fiddler over that time!

Edited by - Brendan Doyle on 05/09/2022 02:56:51

May 9, 2022 - 10:47:27 AM

5848 posts since 9/26/2008

Great to hear Justin is getting some recognition.

Scott, just so you know, Justin IS a Georgian and is the real deal!

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
May 10, 2022 - 9:49:27 AM
like this

171 posts since 12/30/2008

This might call for a road trip.

May 10, 2022 - 1:43:58 PM

742 posts since 3/1/2020

I recommend Twin Creeks Distillery if you’re looking for a fiddle-themed place. The family has roots in moonshine production going way back. The current owner is the first to make legal moonshine! He, like his ancestors, also plays fiddle and performs with a band regularly. I met him at the Virginia Folklife Program’s showcase a few years back and really enjoyed chatting with him. It’s worth the while just to read the “about” page on the website.

twincreeksdistillery.com/

Edited by - The Violin Beautiful on 05/10/2022 13:44:12

May 11, 2022 - 3:22:55 PM

10148 posts since 3/19/2009

Our weekly Tuesday jam session is the one where we drink bourbon.. plenty.. (Just once a week).. about every two weeks someone donates a bottle of the good stuff to support the musicians.. Fortunately, we all know that buying cheap/bad/terrible/sweet/low-power stuff is off limits..
Now I've got to find something locally that has the word "Fiddler" on it.. and I sure hope it is good..We need to keep our standards high.. Coming up with a bottle of this stuff will be a fun project.. almost as fun as the time I bought pig's feet and Shoved Them a Little Closer To the Fire.... to see if that is where the tune name came from..cheeky

May 11, 2022 - 4:34:46 PM

DougD

USA

Online Now

Twin Creeks has very limited distribution, but their website says its available in Illinois. However, their product line doesn't appeal to me too much. Lots of people seem to be doing that sort of thing these days, and some of the oldtimers are still at it.
Looks like Fiddler products are available in the liquor store just up the road from me. Maybe when the punkin crop comes in I can buy some.

May 11, 2022 - 6:46:20 PM

13313 posts since 9/23/2009

I'm not a drinker, but I thought bourbon had to be made in Kentucky to be called bourbon...lol. I remember Blockader though...glad if he is living out his dream career.

May 12, 2022 - 8:57:38 PM
likes this

DougD

USA

Online Now

Peggy, I looked into this awhile back when a foreign member was expressing some uneducated opinions about American spirits. Although its associated with Kentucky, it turns out that the essentials of the legal definition of Bourbon are: 1) That it be made in the USA (and is now made in all 50 states). 2) Be distilled from at least 51% corn, and 3) Be aged (for a time not specified) in "new charred oak containers".
Cheers!

Edited by - DougD on 05/12/2022 20:58:21

May 13, 2022 - 4:29:14 AM

Oh that sounds awful close to renegade talk to me...lol...still either way, I'll just have the foreign coffee in Kentucky.

May 13, 2022 - 8:08:05 AM
like this

DougD

USA

Online Now

"foreign" coffee, Peggy? I thought ...
"Coffee grows on white oak trees,
The river flows with brandy.
Go choose a girl to dance with thee,
As sweet as 'lasses candy."
Next you'll be telling me girls aren't really as sweet as 'lasses candy!
Thought you might enjoy this nice lady's version: home.lyon.edu/wolfcollection/s...e1265.mp3
Dont't worry - its not a dance, just a play party activity.

May 13, 2022 - 10:58:32 AM

742 posts since 3/1/2020

quote:

Twin Creeks has very limited distribution, but their website says its available in Illinois. However, their product line doesn't appeal to me too much. Lots of people seem to be doing that sort of thing these days, and some of the oldtimers are still at it.
Looks like Fiddler products are available in the liquor store just up the road from me. Maybe when the punkin crop comes in I can buy some.

Twin Creeks is a small operation but they do a good job. Their apple brandy was a big hit the day I met them (they gave out samples at the Folklife Festival). Moonshine has never really disappeared, especially in the South, but, like other beer and wine alternatives, it has had a small resurgence in the last decade or two. 

May 13, 2022 - 1:44:49 PM
like this

5958 posts since 8/7/2009

Not necessarily fiddler related, but - in some respects - I are one. And my story is...

A good friend has bought me a bottle of "Old Soul" as a present / and a statement in recognition of my pending retirement (this week?).

Old Soul Bourbon Whiskey

We're excited to announce the 2021 release of our small batch Old Soul Straight Bourbon Whiskey—a precise blend of two whiskies with an identical high-rye mash bill + aged for four and five years respectively (even older than its predecessors!)

With just 88 barrels produced, this year’s Old Soul boasts a more mature flavor profile and is bottled at 90 proof with a high-rye mash bill of 75% Corn, 21% Rye, and 4% Malted Barley.

It's crafted the old-fashioned way — featuring a hand-selected precise blend of whiskeys distilled in Mississippi and Indiana — with each barrel reviewed by nose and palate. Aged in Mississippi's strong Southern heat and humidity, our Old Soul delivers older flavor notes throughout its maturation.

Tasting Notes: Deep amber in color. Toffee, dried fruit, leather and cocoa with undertones of bakery goods reminiscent of banana nut muffins on the nose. Delicate entry with a soft vanilla sweetness that leads into a nutty caramel mid-palate followed by a long finish full of rye spice and leather.

The bottle I was given - is numbered. I haven't broken the seal yet. I am committed to sharing the first sips with my friend.

Hey Lee, I was surprised to learn that it is a mixture of whiskeys distilled in Mississippi and Indiana. Interesting. I'll be thinking of you when we break it open for a taste.

Cathead Distillery is supposed to be the oldest distillery in Mississippi. 

...thought I'd share.

May 13, 2022 - 3:18:06 PM
like this

DougD

USA

Online Now

Tony - I sincerely hope your gift bottle is excellent stuff and that you thoroughly enjoy drinking it and sharing with your friends. Those can be memorable moments for sure. I also hope you really do retire sone day!
Even though I suspect that was the brand that Old King Cole himself drank, the cynical side of me is a little suspicious of the marketing of all these "craft" and "small batch" spirits these days, from all the legal "moonshiners" in their overalls, some capitalizing on supposed family histories (that don't seem too savory to me) to producers who are "foraging" some of their ingredients from outside sources - I didn't even know that alcohol grew wild in the woods, with the truffles.
Not meaning to be even more of a curmudgeon, I'll just mention that the largest producer of bourbon outside of Kentucky is MGP in Indiana: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGP_of_Indiana They have some brands of their own, but most of their production goes into some 50 other brands, including "craft" distillers. Federal law is very strict about the place of origin on whiskey labels, and some companies have been caught in violation.
There are also small distillers in Indiana, and it really doesn't matter - the big guys really do know how to make this stuff if they want to, and I really do mean it that the memories come from the sharing - last weekend I was talking to a longtime friend about a night several years ago when we shared a bottle of Woodford Reserve with another close friend now gone - three guitar players and Vietnam veterans hearing the birds start to sing at first light
Enjoy!

Edited by - DougD on 05/13/2022 15:25:18

May 13, 2022 - 3:25:41 PM
likes this

10148 posts since 3/19/2009

Tony, the Cardinal (State Bird)..Spirits Distillery is just over 1/4 mile from my home.. good drinks and good food. We go there often. During the pandemic they switched over to hand sanitizer..!! Great people..We always have Something from them either in the cabinet or the freezer..I'll lift a glass to YOU next time I imbibe..!! Salud.
In Indy they make OLD HAMER, a bourbon named after the Hamer family from Lawrence County, Indiana.. There is no shortage of distillers these days...

May 13, 2022 - 8:05:22 PM

Doug, that lady was somethin' else...I did enjoy her song...amazing really. Well now...everybody knows coffee doesn't actually grow on white oak trees, but on Kentucky Coffee Trees...used to be the state tree, and I had one out in the back, but since we don't actually own the back, the guy who does own it cut it down...so i ain't got no KY coffee tree no more. I don't think it's the state tree anymore either...I've heard tales both ways about it...that it got its name because the large beans in the pods were once used as a coffee substitute or extender, and also, I mean on the other hand, I've heard that those beans in the pods are poisonous and you'll plop over dead if you try to make coffee from them...so...don't know how it got the name. I probably oughta just stick with foreign coffee I guess. But I always thought it was a beautiful tree. Gettin' to be hard to see them much anymore, especially around here where we are now.

Edited by - groundhogpeggy on 05/13/2022 20:06:57

May 13, 2022 - 10:13:01 PM
likes this

5848 posts since 9/26/2008

quote:

... last weekend I was talking to a longtime friend about a night several years ago when we shared a bottle of Woodford Reserve with another close friend now gone - three guitar players and Vietnam veterans hearing the birds start to sing at first light
Enjoy!

A fine bourbon for such an occasion!  

May 14, 2022 - 6:46:44 AM

742 posts since 3/1/2020

quote:

... the cynical side of me is a little suspicious of the marketing of all these "craft" and "small batch" spirits these days, from all the legal "moonshiners" in their overalls, some capitalizing on supposed family histories (that don't seem too savory to me) to producers who are "foraging" some of their ingredients from outside sources - I didn't even know that alcohol grew wild in the woods, with the truffles.

That sounds very curmudgeonly! After all, Tommy Jarrell was a small-batch moonshiner in addition to being a fiddler and road grader operator. Should we look down  on him, too, or is his example acceptable because he's from an older generation that you don't resent?

Edited by - The Violin Beautiful on 05/14/2022 06:48:03

May 14, 2022 - 7:07:05 AM
likes this

5958 posts since 8/7/2009

quote:
Originally posted by The Violin Beautiful
quote:

... the cynical side of me is a little suspicious of the marketing of all these "craft" and "small batch" spirits these days, from all the legal "moonshiners" in their overalls, some capitalizing on supposed family histories (that don't seem too savory to me) to producers who are "foraging" some of their ingredients from outside sources - I didn't even know that alcohol grew wild in the woods, with the truffles.

That sounds very curmudgeonly! After all, Tommy Jarrell was a small-batch moonshiner in addition to being a fiddler and road grader operator. Should we look down  on him, too, or is his example acceptable because he's from an older generation that you don't resent?

Did you really miss the point that much?  indecision 

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories