Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Apr 28, 2022 - 7:39:56 PM

742 posts since 3/1/2020

quote:
Originally posted by Flat_the_3rd_n7th

I have some of those shoes, and they are so tiny that I can't install them. I imagine you have to cover the f-holes, and then use a tweezer. I have failed so far, so I've given up and accept the broken loops. They last about 4 months or so.

I don't use these. I tried them about 15 years ago and found that they were too much of a hassle to be practical. You can get them on easily enough, but they tend to come off and get lost ridiculously easily. Almost every time you change the string, the little plastic protector will come off with it. The idea of protecting the string from a sharp edge with a piece of thin plastic sounds good, but you can get a better result by simply rounding the edges of the tuner hook with a file. Every time I put a Hill-style tuner on a tailpiece, I adjust it in several ways to optimize it. Then no plastic bits are needed and the strings don't break at the fine tuner. 

Apr 29, 2022 - 5:23:03 AM
like this

22 posts since 9/22/2021

If I was gigging these days, I would just bring my 2nd fiddle. I do always have spare strings in each case too as a matter of course, but I'd prefer to just swap instruments and deal with it later.

Apr 30, 2022 - 10:36:36 AM

559 posts since 6/11/2019

quote:
Originally posted by The Violin Beautiful
quote:

I have some of those shoes, and they are so tiny that I can't install them. I imagine you have to cover the f-holes, and then use a tweezer. I have failed so far, so I've given up and accept the broken loops. They last about 4 months or so.

I don't use these. I tried them about 15 years ago and found that they were too much of a hassle to be practical. You can get them on easily enough, but they tend to come off and get lost ridiculously easily. Almost every time you change the string, the little plastic protector will come off with it. The idea of protecting the string from a sharp edge with a piece of thin plastic sounds good, but you can get a better result by simply rounding the edges of the tuner hook with a file. Every time I put a Hill-style tuner on a tailpiece, I adjust it in several ways to optimize it. Then no plastic bits are needed and the strings don't break at the fine tuner. 

You're probably right, but I don't have a file right now with small enough radius, and I don't know what to improvise with.  I did find that if you take the tuner off the tailpiece to install the protector, the tuner hook won't fit back through the tailpiece slot, so you have to put the protector on with the tuner installed.

Anyway, I intend to take 2 instruments, with the primary being ball-end.  Like others, I've rarely had broken strings other than the loop-end E.

Apr 30, 2022 - 11:55:54 AM
likes this

5704 posts since 7/1/2007

quote:

I got some of those "string protectors" in but they don't really live up to their billing. They don't stay on very well, although one could maybe secure them with a drop of CA glue.  I set up a fiddle with a Hill E tuner this morning, and found that, all in all, it's easier to use a mouse-tail file (Bahco 2-307-16-2-0) to ease and polish the sharp edges on the tuner hook. It only takes a few minutes, and if you do a careful job, you don't get any breakage. It's a shame, they do look like they should work, but there must be a reason I've been filing / dressing the tuner hooks for the last 10 years without ever trying anything else. 

May 4, 2022 - 6:33:49 AM
likes this

22 posts since 9/22/2021

One would think it would make the most sense for the manufacturer(s) to just stop sending them out with sharp edges. As usual, the most simple solutions are, curiously, not considered at the source.

May 4, 2022 - 9:30:29 AM
likes this

5704 posts since 7/1/2007

The distributor only gets a couple or three dollars for that tuner, so how much do you think the manufacturer (Wittner) gets? The parts are tumbled and plated, but it's hand labor to polish out those edges. I get paid for it as part of a setup. One of those things that I don't itemize in costs, but just include as part of the service.

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories