Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   Last Page (3) 

Apr 3, 2022 - 8:18:36 AM
likes this

461 posts since 7/30/2021

Ha ha, yes, geography...our jam (here in NC) frequently plays "Living in Raleigh" and "Carolina Calling" :-)

Apr 3, 2022 - 9:19:51 AM
like this

RichJ

USA

709 posts since 8/6/2013

Well I decided to mess around more with "John" today. Audacity is a great, free sound program I've been fooling around with for a couple of years. It takes awhile to learn all the stuff it can and do and there's a ton. Today I made an mp3 recording of the OTJ banjo/guitar jam track for WAJTK. Then slowed the tempo 15% and changed the key from A to F. Fiddle was tune FCFC. I'm kinda' liken' the slower tempo and lower key for this tune.

Edited by - RichJ on 04/03/2022 09:26:18

Apr 3, 2022 - 5:26:09 PM

13485 posts since 9/23/2009

Wow...it's pretty neat that you can change the pitch and tempo like that with Audacity! I do think, like so many other tunes, it does sound really good in a lower pitch...get a richer tone. Maybe that's why they call you "rich," hey? Well anyway, I really like it...your A part sounds very "walky," like somebody walking along, possibly even toward Kansas, and it sounds like you're throwing a long bow in your B part which really adds nice, what I think of as "texture," to the whole tune. Nice job...sounds good in F.

Apr 4, 2022 - 3:28:30 AM
likes this

RichJ

USA

709 posts since 8/6/2013

Thanks Peggy, Yeah - I do like the lower/slower tempo. Gives ya' the chance for a nice, easy going, slow walk to Kansas (for us old timers) lol. 

BTW- Here's the altered slowed down, pitch changed OTJ track I used should anyone else like to try it in F.

Edited by - RichJ on 04/04/2022 03:30:01

Apr 4, 2022 - 4:36:50 AM

Cool...thanks, Rich. Can't wait until I get the chance to try!

Apr 4, 2022 - 2:21:12 PM

Well it's been a busy time and too exhausted for music...don't know when I'll get to it, but there's a chicken in the oven now...and I decided to sip on some good ol' coffee and do some lookin' into this tune. Not sure where it came from but I looked around while that chicken is cooking there in the oven, like they do...and found this because I'm always wondering if I get to do any sangin' with my fiddlin', lol...because I do love to sing. So I found this little bit of info here... bluegrassmessengers.com/walk-a...john.aspx

and then I found a youtube with people singing this tune and i think theirs sounds pretty nice...however...I'm not sure I'll have the comfort level with it that would inspire me to just haul off singing like crazy with it...still...interesting and just in case somebody else here feels like they're fixin' to haul off singing it...some inspiration from good ol' youtube for that sorta thing...

youtu.be/-edicTzrPJ4

For me...gotta chop some cabbage and carrots for our chicken in the oven...gotta crush up the dogs' supposedly tasty chewable heartworm treats...crush that up and hide it good in their part of the chicken or else they just won't go near it. Then...hopefully get a little resting time this evening...tired...exhausted...anyway...in case anybody finds this inspiring...I know how it feels to wanna just haul off a-singin but just have no words to sing it with.

Apr 4, 2022 - 6:32:53 PM
likes this

Rich, it's sounding great with the backing track and doublestops, and it sounds cool down low. 

Are we calling this tune "WAJTK" now laugh I guess it is a bit of mouthful! 

I like the singing too, Peggy! I like how they sing about packing his rosin and bow...who knew John was a fiddler? smiley

(Sorry about all the emojis, just figured out how to do them...)

Apr 4, 2022 - 8:33:29 PM

Overuse of emoji syndrome, hey? Lol...it's fun! I liked the verse about packing his rosin and bow too...makes us fiddler types all happy to sing about stuff like that!

Apr 4, 2022 - 9:28:18 PM

DougD

USA

10661 posts since 12/2/2007

Peggy, the piece the Bluegrass Messengers are referring to is a different song. Interesting to see the sheet music though - it shows the performers in their minstrel garb, and also in their street clothes, without blackface. The band was tambourine, violin, banjo, bones and triangle. levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/col...n/020/191
I wonder where the words the Wolfe Brothers are singing come from. I know Dale Morris, and I'm tempted to ask him. Good playing though.

Edited by - DougD on 04/04/2022 21:34:27

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
Apr 5, 2022 - 4:29:49 AM

Oh thanks, Doug. Yeah I was wondering where those words came from...to me, somehow they sound "newer," or something...wondering if the Wolfe Brothers wrote them or got them from some contemporary...or maybe they're the original...who knows. If you find out, I'd like to hear what they tell you. I sure did like the way they did it and sang it though. The fiddling was pretty awesome too.

Apr 5, 2022 - 7:35:56 AM
likes this

RichJ

USA

709 posts since 8/6/2013

quote:
Originally posted by groundhogpeggy

Overuse of emoji syndrome, hey? Lol...it's fun! I liked the verse about packing his rosin and bow too...makes us fiddler types all happy to sing about stuff like that!

I think we should start a  new thread on a discussion of what kind of rosin John might have packed for that trip to KS. lol 

Apr 5, 2022 - 12:06:03 PM
like this

One thing I do have around here is all kinds of rosin to choose from if you haul off and walk along to Kansas...let me know if ya need some...lol.

Ok well here's my submission...I had to hurry through...got the idea from Rich's that FCFC might be good...I think I grabbed the fiddle that doesn't do as well in lower pitches as the other...just in a big hurry here...the fiddle seemed like it really just wanted to be squeaky today...I KNOW it couldn't have anything to do with ME...lol...anyhow...here we go...I did it in FCFC ...

youtu.be/eFhcKliLlE0

Apr 5, 2022 - 12:21:18 PM
likes this

Sounds great, Peggy!
Got my foot tapping along...

PS It's only April 5, y'know...my daughter would be uploading at 11:54 pm on April 30...:-)

Apr 5, 2022 - 3:24:11 PM
likes this

WyoBob

USA

413 posts since 5/16/2019

quote:
Originally posted by RichJ
quote:
Originally posted by groundhogpeggy

I think we should start a  new thread on a discussion of what kind of rosin John might have packed for that trip to KS. lol 

I'd vote for Jade.   You could set of a nuclear bomb on a cake of that stuff and it would survive.  On second thought, it might not make it across Kansassmiley

Note: Im not dissing Kansas.  I grew up in Kansas City and, after moving to Nebraska, did a lot of cattle business in the state.  My maternal grandparents lived in Horton, KS for 50 years and I visited there every summer when I was a kid.   So, I didn't mean to denigrate Kansas.  Just "Jade".  A year after I bought a cake of that stuff, a diamond scribe couldn't scratch it.  I pounded it into dust and used it to rosin new bows.  It worked for that.

Apr 5, 2022 - 3:28:53 PM
likes this

WyoBob

USA

413 posts since 5/16/2019

Oh, and GHPeggy, I really liked the "Great and Mysterious Bob" thing but am going to consult my lawyers for a "patent infringement" suit.    For many years, my wife thought that I was the "Great and Mysterious Bob".  I figured I had the patent on that onesmiley

Apr 5, 2022 - 4:54:08 PM
likes this

NC, I realize we're only in the first week of April. Yes, I remember how kids put things off...my daughter used to tell me at about 10:00 on a Sunday evening she needed some special kind of notebook for school on Monday morning...lol...like no problem, Mom...just join in with the teenage procrastination...lol. Well I gotta get a jumpstart or I'll go nuts or possibly just get too swamped to get to stuff later. I might do another one later on.

Wyobob...uh-oh...more copyright infringements from my side of the universe...lol...didn't know you were the real and original Great and mysterious Bob...lol...wow...must be a good story behind that one! And, well Jade is the one I don't have...I did, but gave it away to the first person who I could find that would take it from me...lol...not my favorite...yeah I think it would survive a nuke...lol.

Apr 5, 2022 - 11:49:41 PM
likes this

1920 posts since 4/6/2014

I keep mixing this tune up in my head with another one called "Pretty Red Lips", don't know why? they are not that similar..But maybe just similar enough to confuse me, (it doesn't take a lot).

Thing is, i can't play a tune unless i can sing it in my head. And "Pretty Red Lips" keeps getting in the way.frown

Apr 6, 2022 - 6:05:42 AM
likes this

Welcome to my world, Pete...lol...I get all kinds of tunes all mixed up in my head...so many are so similar, either in title, music, or both...I start out with one tune sometimes and if I'm not careful I end up three or four tunes out.

Apr 14, 2022 - 6:35:25 PM
likes this

No rush; no pressure...but...tick tock, tick tock...

Apr 15, 2022 - 3:23:50 AM
like this

Double tracked this one to beef it up a bit

Apr 15, 2022 - 4:27:23 AM

Wow, Pete...that sounded Cool! A very joyous-sounding walk to Kansas! I loved the interaction of the fiddles. Thanks for submitting.

Apr 15, 2022 - 4:32:48 AM

Cheers Peggy!

Apr 15, 2022 - 6:59:32 AM
like this

Everything Peggy said!
The "twin fiddling" is wonderful. :-)

(re "tick tock" - Over here...I opened my case and my A string was broken. So I went to music store, bought a set of strings, and changed the A...then I noticed G was unravelling...so I changed it...and while tuning up the G, I heard a loud CRACK - I looked and the bridge was lying on the floor in two pieces surprise The leader of our session kindly referred me to her luthier. I pick up my violin on Monday...but now I have this weird anxiety about tuning and changing strings...)

Apr 15, 2022 - 7:07:05 AM

DougD

USA

10661 posts since 12/2/2007

Just wondering - Was your bridge warped or leaning last time you checked it, or did it just decide it was time to quit?

Apr 15, 2022 - 7:18:28 AM
likes this

Ouch!, Nothing like the sound of a Bridge hitting the top of your fiddle.....Goes right through me, then i daren't look for a second or two, hope it's all ok,

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   Last Page (3) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories