%>
Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   4   Next Page   Last Page (4) 

Mar 2, 2022 - 9:33:06 AM
likes this

602 posts since 7/30/2021

quote:
Originally posted by groundhogpeggy

Hey guys, I had the time tonight to have a look at the jam tracks on OTJ for Cricket on the Hearth...wow...the regular guitar track seems crazy fast to me...or am I just that slow? Lol...and the slow guitar jam track seems just kinda fast...probably still faster than I personally like to play...

Peggy, woohoo you ain't kidding! Having kind of got the notes, I just tried to play along with the guitar/banjo track on OTJ and boy, my fingers were tripping over eachother! I think if I want to play along at that speed, maybe gotta edit and make a simpler version with fewer notes in it...

Mar 2, 2022 - 1:06:53 PM

13910 posts since 9/23/2009

Lol...it's quite shocking to try, isn't it? Lol...pretty doggone fast.

Mar 2, 2022 - 1:21:21 PM
like this

RichJ

USA

772 posts since 8/6/2013

Well here's my first attempt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXo20ACIf4Q

OK, I know this is a D tune usually done in standard and I did fool around with it for a day or two that way. Then decided to use my ole' favorite fiddle which seems to always be cross tuned in FCFC. So it means Mr. Cricket gets knocked down a few octaves and may not sound as squeaky. Plenty of time to mess around with this one so I'll likely try again in another key and tuning. Oh, hopefully this sounds something like the Walt and Clare version of COTH previously posted by Doug D.   

Mar 2, 2022 - 3:09:51 PM
likes this

nickmc

USA

130 posts since 5/31/2021

That was great Peggy! Your drones swell so nice and you have an awesome pocket of rhythm!

This is so fun! Thank you for doing this.

Mar 2, 2022 - 4:05:21 PM

6017 posts since 9/26/2008

This was a VFF tune back in the old days of VFF.

Mar 2, 2022 - 4:48:20 PM

Sounds good, Rich! I like that version and I agree it sounds good pitched down lower. Hope Maxie was standing by to hear you do that one...lol.

Thanks, Nick...I don't feel like I've got it in my head yet...lol...I'll get there I guess.

Chickenman, are you kidding????? I feel like I've never heard of this tune in my whole life...lol...I must've been busy in TN when VFF did this...please don't tell me I played it...lol...I really do not remember it at all. I know I'm probably going crazy, but I hope not as bad as it seems...lol.

If Friday works out for me, I plan to sit down with the presonus and try to figure out my own way to play this one.  In the meantime...plenty of good fiddling from participants on this one for us so far.

Edited by - groundhogpeggy on 03/02/2022 16:49:28

Mar 2, 2022 - 6:43:13 PM

RichJ, I like it down low like that, with the alternate tuning! It's very relaxing to listen to.

DougD, Thanks for the video clip, it is a treasure. As a classical musician, had to laugh when I saw them put the sheet music (looked quite technical, too!) on the stand. Admired the nice cricket they placed on their hearth. And, I can relate to the ambient noise humor...(reminded me of the time I was making what I felt was an inspired and flawless recording of a guitar piece I had been working hard on...and in the last 30 seconds, my daughter loudly ripped open a bag of chips and started munching loudly) The banjo player is priceless LOL.

Mar 2, 2022 - 7:44:52 PM
like this

6017 posts since 9/26/2008

quote:
Originally posted by groundhogpeggy

Chickenman, are you kidding????? I feel like I've never heard of this tune in my whole life...lol...I must've been busy in TN when VFF did this...please don't tell me I played it...lol...I really do not remember it at all. I know I'm probably going crazy, but I hope not as bad as it seems...lol. 

July 2014 VFF. There would be no other reason for me to learn it as it wouldn't have crossed my path without VFF. I have a bunch of tunes on my list that came from VFF. 

Attached is my solo version from back then. It's a barn burner, whereas the one with banjo is more dance tempo. I also noticed that I posted the banjo one at minutes past midnight, literally as early as possible angel

Edited by - ChickenMan on 03/02/2022 19:45:30

Mar 3, 2022 - 5:00:37 AM
likes this

Wow, you can hear the enthusiasm burning it up in that one, Chickenman! You play so well! The ending is a pretty nice little cool-down to end it with...lol.

Well I can't remember what we were doing in July 2014, only that I retired in 2009, hoping to settle down and finally get into music like I always wanted to, then being bombarded with troubles people up and down the interstate had and of course nobody could handle any of the work but us...so all we did was rip out drywall, flooring, put in windows, doors, new drywall, new flooring, build foundations with hundreds of bags of concrete for toppling houses that people needed to live in, jump in and mortgage our own little shack to save them from homelessness, drive people to the hospital and take them food...etc. etc. etc. Today we are so burned out and exhausted, have our own health problems and I don't see anybody running to help us...lol...so i guess we were fools, maybe. I always advise anybody retiring now...don't tell anybody...they will eat you up like wolves...I mean, it's like winnning the lottery. Some of the people we helped won't even speak to us at this point. Anyway, that's why i wonder which state I was in doing what, with what kinda tool in my hands instead of a fiddle...lol...it's been weird, I'm tellin' ya. If I did learn Cricket on the Hearth, I was probably half asleep, exhausted and outta my mind while doing it...lol.

Well but this time I'm gonna try tomorrow to get presonus time and get up a COTH that I can relate to and live with.

Mar 3, 2022 - 8:43:22 AM
like this

RichJ

USA

772 posts since 8/6/2013

After listening to my cricket in F I decided he sounds tired and needs a waking up. So, today I tried it with a Presonus recording in the traditional key of D and standard tuning.

Mar 3, 2022 - 9:33:54 AM
like this

Sounds good, Rich! Crickets hopping a little higher there, hey? I like the b part quite a bit.

Mar 3, 2022 - 12:41:34 PM
like this

Well I got some time this afternoon and got a maybe better/maybe not...lol...Cricket on the Hearth...playing in D. Fiddle is ADAE. Banjo Double C and capoed up to D. I realize my cricket chirps are nothing to write home about...the last one actually sounds a lot more like horses than crickets...but...well that's something to work on, hey? So here is today's effort...

youtu.be/8oRgydsSk8A

Plus I took out the fiddle track and left the backups for a jam track for myself and possibly any other slow fiddlers of America or the rest of the world who may find it of some use.

youtu.be/AhTk4vGnfy4

So now that I've done this before my usual recording day, Friday...what will I play tomorrow?????

Mar 3, 2022 - 4:10:01 PM
likes this

115 posts since 11/12/2011

Rich, that's another nice recording.

Peggy's yours sound great too. The guitar and squirrels video might be my favorite--perhaps because I've been listening to/spending a little more time with guitar lately, and because I imagine it took some work coming up with the arrangement. Oh and thanks for the jam track.

Mar 3, 2022 - 6:09:42 PM
like this

I just began working on this tune yesterday from a recording of Jerry Lundy-- chosen mainly because it was pleasant sounding and suited my mood. Hilary Dirlam accompanies him on guitar.  Today after slowing it down and trying to get some of the subtleties, it has really started to grow on me.

https://fieldrecorder.bandcamp.com/track/cricket-on-the-hearth-2

Turns out Jerry Lundy is/was Emmet Lundy's grandson. He passed away in 2001.  It says in this thread about his passing (on which FHO's Carl Baron, I think, contributed) that he Jerry Lundy played at "President Carter's Inauguration, for Princess Anne when she visited the area and in Cairo, Egypt..."

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.country.old-time/c/TT45D08nRh4/m/KBRnd9lAfEcJ

Edited by - christym on 03/03/2022 18:18:36

Mar 3, 2022 - 6:56:03 PM
like this

DougD

USA

10878 posts since 12/2/2007

christym - You had mentioned that the only tune from Jerry at Slippery Hill was "Flatwoods." That may be the only one in the M-K collection, but the Southern Mountain Boys are featured in the recordings of the 1974 Brandywine festival at Slippery Hill, and I'm pretty sure that's Jerry playing fiddle.

Mar 3, 2022 - 7:06:37 PM

Oh yeah.  Thanks Doug.

Mar 4, 2022 - 4:05:49 AM
like this

2003 posts since 4/6/2014

Just learning "MuseScore" notation program so i thought i might as well transcribe a simplified Kenny Baker version of "Cricket On The Hearth" and upload it. Its Standard notation and in PDF format...Anyone else use MuseSore here?

I uploaded a MIDI version as well i think it is in the "Tabs"....But i cant seem to attach it to this post

Sort of got it down on fiddle but not up to speed yet he plays it just over 120bpm i think!

Edited by - pete_fiddle on 03/04/2022 04:09:14

Mar 4, 2022 - 4:19:37 AM
likes this

Whew, that looks like a lot of notes...lol...very nice of you to do and I'm sure that'll help a lot of folks who can read the notes. Hope you will play it for us soon!

Mar 4, 2022 - 4:47:47 AM
like this

Gonna try to link to my jam track here...I think you can download them from FHO...just in case it would be helpful to anybody. LEt's see if I can figure out how to link it here...lol...I'm a dummy...so who knows.  Oops...lemme try again.

Edited by - groundhogpeggy on 03/04/2022 04:48:42

Mar 4, 2022 - 5:45:05 AM
like this

Thanks for the nice jam track, Peggy and the sheet music, Pete!

I really enjoyed listening to your latest version, Peggy! And I think your "cricket noises" are quite excellent. 

Edited by - NCnotes on 03/04/2022 05:47:01

Mar 4, 2022 - 6:00:50 AM
like this

2003 posts since 4/6/2014

Yep that works with the Notes i posted....Just downloaded it, put it into reaper and played along.

Sounds Good!...Will record it soon thanks Peggy.

Mar 4, 2022 - 6:36:03 AM

Well then I'm glad I uploaded that here...lol. Hope to hear more crickets soon!

Mar 4, 2022 - 8:09 AM
like this

RichJ

USA

772 posts since 8/6/2013

Well thanks to VFF and Peggy's COTH jam track here's my first official jam with Peggy. I did this by first downloading Peggy's mp3 file, then dragged it into a Presonus track and added my fiddle. Who's gonna' know we were more than 1000 miles apart?

Mar 4, 2022 - 8:53:51 AM
likes this

I uploaded a MIDI version as well i think it is in the "Tabs"....

I think FHO automatically creates a "reference" mp3 when you upload a MIDI file.  If so, you could attach it to the thread.  Look on your media/mp3 page...

Hmmm... I guess I was wrong about that.  I converted your midi to mp3.  Download it if you like and then I'll delete it from my folder.

Have you ever tried "MidiSheetMusic"?  It free software that play midi files while stepping through the notation.  It has controls for tempo, etc.

Edited by - christym on 03/04/2022 09:10:04

Mar 4, 2022 - 9:41:25 AM
likes this

Hey Rich…great job on that. You sounded good…and the pace sounds pretty good…you actually made my jam track sound good…lol. Seriously it sounded good…I like the way you played and the stops in the sound track went great in your b part! Thanks so much! Fun jammin with ya.

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   4   Next Page   Last Page (4) 

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories