%>
Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   4   Next Page   Last Page (4) 

Feb 4, 2022 - 6:28:44 AM
likes this

2003 posts since 4/6/2014

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan
quote:
Originally posted by pete_fiddle

i like it when i can find the original version played by the composer. See if i can make it sound anything like it in standard tuning...

Joe LaRose "Winder Slide"

If you look in the comments, there is mention of Joe saying he originally wrote it with the one part, and Bruce Molsky recorded it pretty true to that. But then Joe wrote a second part and showed it to Rayna Gellert, so her recording appears to now be closer to the author's intentions that his own original recording. An interesting situation. 

Pretty easy to switch between the two anyhoo. But i do like it a bit quicker than the more "Plaintive" versions

Feb 4, 2022 - 6:58:14 AM
likes this

602 posts since 7/30/2021

I've been working on learning the Rayna Gellert version, and listening to different versions on YT...
Nice banjo version of it!

youtube.com/watch?v=hNW6NwMVhj8

Feb 4, 2022 - 7:05:18 AM
likes this

And Peggy, I'm with ya...
I like that Jam in the Woods one too, really pretty.

For anybody looking for backing...I found the backing track in Strum Machine (I signed up for the 14-day trial).
strummachine.com/app

Just search "Winder Slide". It's kind of educational to see the chords going by while you play!
It's also nice because you can adjust the tempo - I started out at a slow 70bpm.

Feb 4, 2022 - 7:50:56 AM
likes this

13910 posts since 9/23/2009

Chickenman, I never tried to access OTJ on a phone...weird that you can only see A tunes on there...usually if it's mobile device friendly it's all covered...wonder if somebody oughta ask Josh Turnkett (probably spelled that wrong) if everything's ok in the html department...lol. Seems not quite right, doesn't it?

NC Notes...that banjo version you linked is sweet...I love that. Richj uses strum machine and seems he really likes what he can do with his subscription...great way to get backup tracks to play along with, sounds like to me.

Winder Slide has a sorta "crooked" history, doesn't it? When I first heard the tune, back several years ago I think I heard someone playing it...it struck me as strange somehow...not sure why...but now that I'm thinking about it maybe there's an audible "leap" in the thinking between a and b parts????  Then that little funny tag at the end of the b part strikes me as peculiar...lol. Don't know...maybe not...but also, I think if you think about the melodic contour, the shape of the melody line...I think it took me a while to be able to think in terms of that final note in the first phrase of the a part...it goes up, when my senses want that note to go down. Of course, being OT, in my mind we are free to wriggle around notes and phrases as we see fit, within reason...but I went ahead and tried to remember that note goes up, not down, when I played it for myself. I think it's just now sinking into my poor ol' mind what good that note is...and that it really gives it its own uniqueness that that note does go up...hope everybody knows what note I'm talkin' about...I do love the b part too. I love the tune quite a bit. But it was just sort of a hard concept for my mind to wrap around. I think it sounds good on lots of instruments...probably better on some than it does on the fiddle...just my humble opinion, very humble because I know how often I change my mind and how often I am flatout as wrong as wrong can be...lol.

Edited by - groundhogpeggy on 02/04/2022 07:53:02

Feb 4, 2022 - 11:32:34 AM
likes this

Yea that ending tag, few beats after part B, is a tough one, to know what to put there!
I kept forgetting to include it and then falling out of sync with the backing.

And Peggy, maybe you can make that note go down in a pretty way on your "variation" the second or third time through :-)

Feb 4, 2022 - 12:05:48 PM
likes this

Yeah that's a good idea, NC. And as to forgetting the tag and getting out of sync, I remembered the tag when I played it with OTJ, but kept forgetting about the extended b part, er about the missing extended b part...so i kept adding the extensions...lol...I had to think hard to try to remember to keep that b part short...lol...always a challenge, ain't it?

Edited by - groundhogpeggy on 02/04/2022 12:06:26

Feb 4, 2022 - 1:33:16 PM
likes this

Yep I first tried it with OTj as well, but it only has like half or 2/3 of the B part (vs Rayna Gellert's version) so I just got stuck and lost! I can't creatively change things yet...once I learn a tune version, I get kind of stuck on it.

The Strum Machine one has a full B section, so if you prefer the B part where the phrase repeats 2x, you can check that one out! To me, repeating that phrase in part B twice, feels more "complete" and "balanced" (I'm just kind of a square :-).

Feb 4, 2022 - 4:56:17 PM
like this

6016 posts since 9/26/2008

quote:
quote:
quote:

i like it when i can find the original version played by the composer. See if i can make it sound anything like it in standard tuning...

Joe LaRose "Winder Slide"

If you look in the comments, there is mention of Joe saying he originally wrote it with the one part, and Bruce Molsky recorded it pretty true to that. But then Joe wrote a second part and showed it to Rayna Gellert, so her recording appears to now be closer to the author's intentions that his own original recording. An interesting situation. 

Pretty easy to switch between the two anyhoo. But i do like it a bit quicker than the more "Plaintive" versions

Me too. When I was listening to the Gellert version, I used the settings gear to bump it up to 1.5 speed so it felt more like a dance tune. 

Feb 5, 2022 - 1:11:26 AM
likes this

2003 posts since 4/6/2014

yeah! 1.25 speed is my favourite.
Never thought of speed ing the youtube up.

Feb 5, 2022 - 8:52:46 AM

RichJ

USA

772 posts since 8/6/2013

quote:

Well, I tried to use the Old Time Jam with my phone and can only see A tunes in the player. What is the trick to see the D tunes?

You should be able to keep scrolling through that list. It's continuous - A tunes, C tunes (only one), D tunes (by far the largest), G tunes.. Only C tune on the list is Billy in the Low Ground. Gee, and I know how much Peggy loves C tunes. lol 

A bit late in seeing this, someone else may have given better info???

Edited by - RichJ on 02/05/2022 08:55:42

Feb 5, 2022 - 11:32:22 AM
likes this

Rich, there is no better info in this world than how much GHPeggy just loves fiddling in C...lol.

Feb 6, 2022 - 9:21:03 AM
like this

RichJ

USA

772 posts since 8/6/2013

I find this thread has opened up a lot of new things for me. The joy (?) of leaning to mess with techy stuff being one. Peggy got me into Presonus recording about a year ago. That was the beginning of a bunch of "technoheadaches",  but a lot of fun as well. I justified my venture into audio tech Level One with the excuse it might improve my playing by hearing how I sounded to others, realize how horrible I sounded and try to improve. Well maybe I did, slightly. Eventually got to the point of  saying "what the h..., may as well put an mp3 file up on FHO (if only to share the pain-lol). Now comes Peggy with this VFF thing and I find myself making YT vids, something I wouldn't have dreamed of doing when I retired nearly 12 years ago. Some could look at all this as a sure way to drag a 82 year old duffer way out of his comfort zone. But, It seems the opposite has occurred.  All this stuff has brought a new level of excitement into fiddling and playing OT music.

Feb 6, 2022 - 10:11:46 AM
like this

Lol...I hear ya! It's a bunch of struggle, headaches and frustration...but, BOY IS IT FUN!!!!!

Feb 6, 2022 - 10:36:07 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

Earworm

USA

398 posts since 1/30/2018

quote:

Ahhh.... Sidewinder...Snakeenlightened

Regarding the title, my fiddle teacher had told me he thought it had something to do with a dance move, not a snake, which is what I had thought. I have no idea if that's true, but if someone knows a dance name or dance step with that name, that would be interesting to know.

Feb 6, 2022 - 3:10:57 PM

It's probably more likely something to do with a dance step than a snake, I'd guess...yet, to me, it really doesn't sound dancy at all...sounds sort of pensive to me...so...I don't know...I can't imagine people dancing to such a pensive sounding tune...lol...but then, I'm no dancer so I have no idea.  Either way, it sure is a beautiful tune.

Edited by - groundhogpeggy on 02/06/2022 15:11:42

Feb 6, 2022 - 8:11:59 PM

256 posts since 9/6/2011

In a post on this forum ,in the archives, dated 2/26/13, lee and Peggy discussed "winder". It was said to be a dance and the tune Kentucky Winder was mentioned.

I also ran across Damon's Winder on U-tube. I read that Rayna wrote Winder Slide.
Good stuff.

Feb 7, 2022 - 4:34:01 AM

Wow, I could get into a good argument with my old self...lol...words/titles can throw people into one type thinking...yet the sound of the tune can throw people into some other frame of mind. Not to mention life experience...lol...I have to admit my mood has been very pensive since events in recent months, and especially after the death of my dad in september. So...who knows what shapes our views of tunes? It would be an interesting psychological study, wouldn't it?  Oh but seems to me I remember wind something or other as a shuffle?????  Of coursse since it's a newer ot tune, maybe the words refer to something more contemporary.  Who knows.

I remember when older folks pronounced wind, like the wind that blows the trees, the same as wind, like a winding road. Somehow, the thought always comes to me when I hear the title of this tune if it refers something windy...lol. Or it's most likely just the name of some dance step. My mind can't think dancy at the moment...just more like cloudy...lol...windy and cloudy.  Generally sort of morose, I guess.

Edited by - groundhogpeggy on 02/07/2022 04:39:03

Feb 7, 2022 - 6:17:41 AM
like this

513 posts since 7/18/2014

There is a town named Winder, in Georgia. I wonder if?

A blue racer got after me when I was a kid. Chased me about seventy-five yards, plum up on the porch. Scared me to death. I’ve wondered what it would have done if it had of caught me.

Feb 7, 2022 - 8:43:08 AM
likes this

Hmm, do you think the second part of name refers to the type of dancing called a "slide"? 
I know that in Irish Trad there are jigs and slides and polkas...?? Here's a description of an Irish slide (Wikipedia):

" In Irish traditional music, a slide (Irish: sleamhnán) is a tune type in 12/8 akin to, and often confused with, a single jig. Slides are played mostly in the Sliabh Luachra region of Ireland, but originate from quadrilles.

Though slides contain the same number of beats per tune as a single jig, melodies are phrased in four rather than two beats. Consequently, single jigs are notated as having eight bars per part and slides as having four bars. Furthermore, the pace is quicker than single jigs, often around 150bpm. While single jigs are often danced solo by step dancers, slides are usually danced in groups by set dancers, sometimes in sets with polkas."

Feb 7, 2022 - 12:09:59 PM

Well the title has all of us baffled...lol. Doesn't that drive ya nuts?

Anyway I thought up what seemed to be a brilliant idea in my mind for doing this one on guitar, and I really made a mess of the thing...all bogged down and terrible...I'm not happy with the clashing D chords in the thing...anyhow...here's my attempt on guitar. I probably will end up removing this one from my youtube channel at some point or other...but for the sake of our Virtual Fiddle Festival...here 'tis...snakes, shuffles, dances and Georgia towns and all!

youtu.be/6uaCSImprlA

Feb 9, 2022 - 7:50:03 AM
like this
Players Union Member

Earworm

USA

Ok, tell me if this works ... here's my shot at Winder Slide in ADAE. Is this the best way to post it?

https://www.fiddlehangout.com/myhangout/media-player/audio_player2.asp?musicid=14504&archived=

I first learned this tune a few years ago, actually, but it has never been one I played much, or even liked the best. When I found it in ADAE tuning a couple months ago, it seemed to be more natural to me though, so it was cool to see that Rayna Gellert uses that tuning too. :) I'm trying to break through the sound barrier a wee little bit at a time. Recording still makes me break out in a rash or something, but I am getting a little more comfortable with it.

Edited by - Earworm on 02/09/2022 07:53:37

Feb 9, 2022 - 10:24:21 AM
likes this

Sounds good, Donna! Thanks for sharing and participating in Virtual Fiddle Festival. Nice fiddling!

Feb 9, 2022 - 1:22:18 PM
likes this

WyoBob

USA

429 posts since 5/16/2019

Nice fiddling for sure.   And a great sounding fiddle.  Mind telling us what kind of fiddle but perhaps more importantly, strings, bow and rosin.

Feb 9, 2022 - 2:50:53 PM
Players Union Member

Earworm

USA

quote:
Originally posted by WyoBob

Nice fiddling for sure.   And a great sounding fiddle.  Mind telling us what kind of fiddle but perhaps more importantly, strings, bow and rosin.

Gosh, gee, are you talking to me? Well, ok, then. My fiddle is brown and old, and my bow is pretty much a bow. ;) Besides that ... I use Hills Dark Rosin (year round) and Pirastro Chromcor strings. I tried different strings, but my fiddle said no. The bow is a JonPaul fusion (recently rehaired) which I bought new about 5 yrs ago. My fiddle is an old German fiddle - probably one of those many trade fiddles of the era, but a Stainer copy, and a good one. Her name is Cora, and generally behaves nicely if you talk to her sweet. :)

Feb 9, 2022 - 3:30:28 PM
likes this

WyoBob

USA

429 posts since 5/16/2019

quote:
Originally posted by Earworm
quote:
Originally posted by WyoBob

Gosh, gee, are you talking to me? Well, ok, then. My fiddle is brown and old, and my bow is pretty much a bow. ;) Besides that ... I use Hills Dark Rosin (year round) and Pirastro Chromcor strings. I tried different strings, but my fiddle said no. The bow is a JonPaul fusion (recently rehaired) which I bought new about 5 yrs ago. My fiddle is an old German fiddle - probably one of those many trade fiddles of the era, but a Stainer copy, and a good one. Her name is Cora, and generally behaves nicely if you talk to her sweet. :)

Yeah, I'm talkin' to yousmiley

Wow, I may be on the way to greatness!    I have two fiddles, a Kennedy Chinese job (that I had to revamp a bit to get it to play half way decent (high action at the nut and really high relief on the fingerboard and a GEWA that I bought from "The Bluegrass Shack" that was set up perfectly.  Both, $400.00 fiddle outfits.  Service from the Bluegrass Shack was outstanding.  She set up the fiddle just as I'd asked for.  The Kennedy, not anywhere close.

I tried several sets of strings in the 2 1/2 years I've been playing the fiddle and settled on  ---- wait for it, Prims on the Kennedy and Chromcor's on the GEWA.   I did try the Helicore's  on both fiddles but got a bit frustrated with the A string not being able to maintain tune.  No unraveling of the windings  that have been mentioned on many posts on the FHO, just wonky.   I really like the Chromcor's and Prims.  The Chromcor's are a bit more "refined" in tone but the Prims sound good on the Kennedy and are a bit louder.  I"ve been using Kaplan Dark and Magic rosin and don't notice much difference.  They both seem to work pretty well.

And my second improvement in my fiddle journey was the purchase of a JonPaul Fusion bow!  Prior to the Fusion, I had a CODA NX that cost twice as much but,  it really didn't "speak to me".   The thumb pad was giant and uncomfortable.  The tone was great but, it didn't "glide over the strings"  so I sold it to a friend.   I bought the Fusion from the FiddlerShop.   It "plays" effortlessly when compared to the NX.  The Fiddlershop offers a lifetime warranty on the Fusion (not the hair, of course) and I bought the Chromcor's from them as well.  I also have a couple of $35.00 KMise C.F. bows (Amazon) that are a close second to the Fusion if you can believe that and I play them quite a bit (to save me from having to ever worry about re-hairing the Fusion).

Now, if I can live another 10-15 years, I might be able to play as well as you!   But, I'd bet I'm having as much fun as you or any other "newbie" on the fiddle right now!   Good thing.  At age, almost 75, I'm not sure I'll make it another 15 years.surprise

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   4   Next Page   Last Page (4) 

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories