Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Jan 18, 2022 - 12:24:05 AM

3163 posts since 9/13/2009

quote:
Originally posted by darolRanger

I think the collarbone is a really common place for the fiddle to rest, whether or not we're dropping our chin on the chin rest to lever up the fiddle with a SR or whether it's just sitting there on the collarbone. Most fiddlers have that "fiddle forward" posture where the fiddle gradually rotates around to "where I can see it"... it's a strain on the left arm, but doable for most... Comfort is paramount for this stuff. FInding a comfortable and tall enough SR is so important.
I'd like to alert you to a nice thing that fiddler Duncan Wickel is making, which is a strap that attaches to the fiddle that goes around neck or back. I'm old enough now not to care a bit if it looks weird. I think this could be a good solution for folks who just can't get comfortable holding something with their neck all the time. www.wickelbuckle.com/

Growing up, I recall seeing a couple older fiddlers use similar concept but easier DIY concept to that buckle. Like the buckle, more holding the fiddle lower. Mostly just long piece of cord (or boot laces), make long loop hooked over bout corners, goes around neck and under R shoulder. Variation where string crisscrosses under and loops the button as well as corners. Tried it, thought worked okay... though I don't use it, pretty much unnecessary for me, I'm comfortable and stable playing low without it (I also prefer freedom of strapless; as on most instruments). But might be something others might want to experiment with to see if that position is comfortable, just takes a long string. 

Edited by - alaskafiddler on 01/18/2022 00:27:02

Jan 18, 2022 - 12:43:40 PM

69 posts since 12/26/2021

quote:
Originally posted by darolRanger

I think the collarbone is a really common place for the fiddle to rest, whether or not we're dropping our chin on the chin rest to lever up the fiddle with a SR or whether it's just sitting there on the collarbone. Most fiddlers have that "fiddle forward" posture where the fiddle gradually rotates around to "where I can see it"... it's a strain on the left arm, but doable for most... Comfort is paramount for this stuff. FInding a comfortable and tall enough SR is so important.
I'd like to alert you to a nice thing that fiddler Duncan Wickel is making, which is a strap that attaches to the fiddle that goes around neck or back. I'm old enough now not to care a bit if it looks weird. I think this could be a good solution for folks who just can't get comfortable holding something with their neck all the time. www.wickelbuckle.com/

YES! I looked at a picture on the site, dug out an old kayak tie down strap from the shed, and played around with it. I can loop around the the center of the fiddle through the body cut outsand the shoulder rest (can't do this with an acoustic fiddle) and can play totally chin-free if I so desire.  I replaced the heavy friction buckle with the plastic clips from an old fanny pack so its quick and easy to clip on or off.  I love it. 

Jan 18, 2022 - 1:05:25 PM

10552 posts since 3/19/2009

Hangout Member Steve Downey has a novel way of holding his fiddle:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yroOwjwCdhs&t=2s

Jan 18, 2022 - 3:50:35 PM

911 posts since 3/1/2020

Mark Wood has been making strap-on violins for 25 years. His “Viper” has a chest support system not unlike the Wickelbuckle.

http://www.woodviolins.com/viper/

Edited by - The Violin Beautiful on 01/18/2022 15:52:02

Mar 3, 2022 - 6:58:24 AM
like this

69 posts since 12/26/2021

Finally set up a shoulder rest that works for me. I took the long foot from the Bon Musica to replace the one on the Kun, attached the "hook" part of the Bon Musica to the shoulder portion of the Kun. The whole thing is zip tied on because it tends to come off attached so far back. Added some velcro to the hook for good measure. It wont fit in a case without cutting the zip ties, but I hang the fiddle anyway. Makes a pretty good stand as it turns out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16H-TxqWi4DC6jZU8OZznlJ83cDSRkI8r/view?usp=sharing

Edited by - crunchie812 on 03/03/2022 07:03:32

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories