Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

117
Fiddle Lovers Online


Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2   3  4

Dec 17, 2021 - 6:14:33 AM
likes this

Quincy

Belgium

344 posts since 1/16/2021

That's my Quincy, Rika was too lazy for tricks haha.

Dec 22, 2021 - 5:43:35 PM

1076 posts since 6/26/2007

quote:
Originally posted by doryman
quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan

That would be the high part. What about the other part, where it goes up the scale from the open D string?


Here's a video of Andy Reiner doing a wonderfully fun rendition.  He goes down an octave starting at about 40 seconds in, but I highly recommend listening to the entire song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0igMpl5xIw


There are lots of nice bowing ideas in Andy's version, including offbeat accents, mid-bow pulses, double stops, rocking, and  more. He's playing on his 5-string Jon Cooper fiddle.

Edited by - dsreiner on 12/22/2021 17:43:51

Dec 22, 2021 - 5:49:41 PM
like this

1076 posts since 6/26/2007

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver

I forgot to mention my Favorite use of the shuffle pattern... I'll play the first, long note on One note one string, and then JUST the first short note on TWO strings and finally the second short not on one string.. This method gives a nice little double-stop ( or similar) back beat sound....!! Do any of you play it that way?


I do this all the time.  In fact, I taught it in my bowing class at Fiddle Hell Online last month as a more subtle variant of Nashville shuffle.  Good tunes to practice on - Bile Em Cabbage Down, Whiskey Before Breakfast (in the descending lines).

Dec 22, 2021 - 5:51:23 PM
likes this

1076 posts since 6/26/2007

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan
quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver

I forgot to mention my Favorite use of the shuffle pattern... I'll play the first, long note on One note one string, and then JUST the first short note on TWO strings and finally the second short not on one string.. This method gives a nice little double-stop ( or similar) back beat sound....!! Do any of you play it that way?


That's basically what I'm doing in demo 2.


You totally are!  And showing a good way to practice it by playing all double stops first and then only using them on the offbeat / backbeat.

Dec 22, 2021 - 6:01:08 PM
like this

1076 posts since 6/26/2007

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver
quote:
Originally posted by groundhogpeggy

You mean rocking the bow? Yeah I do that all the time. I compare that to drop thumb on clawhammer...seems it functions in the same way to me.


With the greatest of respect.. NO.. It is not rockin' the bow, but something profoundly different... Someday we are going to jam and I'll demonstrate.. It is  a dropping of the bow at the strings, not at the wrist...best way to describe it.. If I was talented enough I'd make a video.!!! Actually there IS a video of it somewhere online, but for the life of me I can't find it!!!


Agreed, Lee.  Rocking uses sawstrokes and circles with the bow hand, and the double stops can be on any or all downbows. Hitting a double stop on the offbeat of Nashville shuffle is different, and just involves touching the drone string (which then can continue to ring).  Anyone who signed up for Fiddle Hell Online last month (or just the replays) can see this in my "Basic Bowing Shuffles for Fiddlers" class video (around the 20 minute mark), accessible through March 7, 2022.

Dec 22, 2021 - 10:31:49 PM
likes this

Quincy

Belgium

344 posts since 1/16/2021

Now that I am taking my first shuffling steps I will definitely sign up for the next Fiddle Hell Online edition! I am planning to take a whole week off or maybe even two weeks so I have plenty of time to listen, study and practise.

I could make a list of three suggestions for my christmas present and I hinted some books on a website about old time fiddling, one of the suggestions I made was a book by Craig Duncan, his name is mentioned above in this topic.

Let's hope my mother made a good choice! She can't really keep a secret , few days ago she asked me : "What style do you want to play again?" I know she was checking if she bought the right thing haha.

At this point I made up my mind, I have another violin class the 2nd of January and normally spoken we have a concert with all students end of January, but who knows if it can take place with maybe a new lockdown waiting for us....
But by the end of January I'll stop taking classic violin classes. Maybe I don't really need a private fiddle teacher at this moment , there is Fiddle Hell Online waiting and lots of YouTubers who are very helpful and there are more modern ways to learn like for example Peghead Nation as suggested in this topic.

Also: I got a very young dedicated luthier here who understands my desire to play fiddle music and if there is one point in time where I want to adapt my violin, he will help me out. He already said that flattening the bridge is certainly an option, for example. Which made my heart beat just a little bit faster :-D

The future looks bright <3

Dec 23, 2021 - 9:06:31 AM
likes this

1076 posts since 6/26/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Quincy

Now that I am taking my first shuffling steps I will definitely sign up for the next Fiddle Hell Online edition! I am planning to take a whole week off or maybe even two weeks so I have plenty of time to listen, study and practise.

I could make a list of three suggestions for my christmas present and I hinted some books on a website about old time fiddling, one of the suggestions I made was a book by Craig Duncan, his name is mentioned above in this topic.

Let's hope my mother made a good choice! She can't really keep a secret , few days ago she asked me : "What style do you want to play again?" I know she was checking if she bought the right thing haha.

At this point I made up my mind, I have another violin class the 2nd of January and normally spoken we have a concert with all students end of January, but who knows if it can take place with maybe a new lockdown waiting for us....
But by the end of January I'll stop taking classic violin classes. Maybe I don't really need a private fiddle teacher at this moment , there is Fiddle Hell Online waiting and lots of YouTubers who are very helpful and there are more modern ways to learn like for example Peghead Nation as suggested in this topic.

Also: I got a very young dedicated luthier here who understands my desire to play fiddle music and if there is one point in time where I want to adapt my violin, he will help me out. He already said that flattening the bridge is certainly an option, for example. Which made my heart beat just a little bit faster :-D

The future looks bright <3


Sounds great, Anja!  WIth the next Fiddle Hell Online on April 7-10, 2022, you'll have free replays of all workshops, concerts, and jams for 4 months afterwards. Replays can be slowed down without changing the pitch, too.

Jan 6, 2022 - 11:01:56 PM
like this

Quincy

Belgium

344 posts since 1/16/2021

Meanwhile I'm busy with learning Ida red, I am currently playing along with this woman, first half is there already, now only the second part:
youtube.com/watch?v=OzTATIPjUIA

It was in my book American Old Time Fiddle Tunes as well, but I found that version rather boring, it was very simplified.
The version this woman plays is cute, and I can practise shuffle bowing with this tune.

No too hard for me either to do.

Jan 7, 2022 - 2:08:57 AM
like this

DougD

USA

10549 posts since 12/2/2007

I don't know what she's playing but it sure doesn't sound like "Ida Red" to me. Maybe "Waltzing Matilda?" (Maybe that's why Henry likes it)!
Here's a version I like, from Uncle Charle Osborne: m.youtube.com/watch?v=XtnizCZ8lOE

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
Jan 7, 2022 - 4:39:14 AM
like this

13180 posts since 9/23/2009

Anja...that looks like a great video for practicing at working the shuffles into a tune!

Jan 7, 2022 - 4:58:43 AM
likes this

9988 posts since 3/19/2009

Anja, how is it coming along with Year of Jubilo? Did the tab make sense?

Jan 7, 2022 - 1:44:56 PM
like this

DougD

USA

10549 posts since 12/2/2007

Here's a version from Tommy Jarrell, who shuffles quite a bit: youtu.be/3h3XZen5_48

Jan 7, 2022 - 1:55:40 PM
like this

DougD

USA

10549 posts since 12/2/2007

One more thing. This tune is also known as "Down the Road." Here's a classic version from Flatt and Scruggs, with Paul Warren on fiddle: youtu.be/URAttAsnAeo

Jan 19, 2022 - 8:37:35 PM
like this

Quincy

Belgium

344 posts since 1/16/2021

@DougD: Waltzing Matilda is another tune, I don't find it in this tune. Thanks for the other versions!
@TuneWeaver: I like to have Year of Jubilo followed by the fast part of the Irish dance heard in the movie Titanic :p As Mister Wayne Cantwell does it, he still is one of my favorite fiddlers on YouTube. He rocks. Those two parts belong together ;I totally agree with him. For your variations I still feel too unskilled OR I might not master the tune yet.
It takes me a long time before a tune is really in my fingers and mind same time. Right now busy with getting Maggie in the woods right, with slurring notes and here and there a double string.

@groundhogpeggy: that's what I also thought! I like it, it's cute and catchy.

I wasn't responding for a long time, my excuse is that me and my dog finally found a sports in which everything comes together, the tricks I taught her so far and her capacity to run fast and jump like a deer: dogfrisbee freestyle :-D Best decision I could have made for her. I had her X-rayed for elbows back and hips and she is perfect for the sport, which is justice in my eyes. This dog really needed that.

Edited by - Quincy on 01/19/2022 20:50:32

Jan 20, 2022 - 4:28:32 AM

13180 posts since 9/23/2009

Good to hear back from you. Glad you and doggie are finding the things that work the best.

Hope your shuffling is coming along too. Thanks for checking in, Anja!

Jan 20, 2022 - 4:54:41 AM
like this

Quincy

Belgium

344 posts since 1/16/2021

youtu.be/1NYo1SgcBLk



Me messing up maggie in the woods ??

Jan 20, 2022 - 10:24:30 AM
likes this

13180 posts since 9/23/2009

Thumbs up, Anja! Sounding good.

Jan 20, 2022 - 4:12:07 PM
likes this

5806 posts since 9/26/2008

I love watching dogs working with Frisbees.
Great choice of an activity for both of you!

Jan 27, 2022 - 10:34:53 PM
likes this

Quincy

Belgium

344 posts since 1/16/2021

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan

I love watching dogs working with Frisbees.
Great choice of an activity for both of you!


Thanks ! It's hard work for me haha. I love the tricks , but the emphasis should be on the frisbees / pullers haha. Dixie is already going nuts when she sees a puller or frisbee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flrtpyvb8WE   (when my instructor saw this video he said ' less tralalala more dadada with the puller" meaning the accent should be on throwing instead of showing off lol)

But to keep this thread on topic: My two weeks off for Fiddle Hell Online have been approved! I love violin vacations  <3

Edited by - Quincy on 01/27/2022 22:37:20

Feb 2, 2022 - 7:39:54 PM
like this

DougD

USA

10549 posts since 12/2/2007

Quincy, it took me awhile to post this (and maybe you've already found it) but here's a recording I made years ago of "Spotted Pony" with just banjo and guitar. Maybe you can use it as a backing track to practice your fiddling. If its too fast you can always slow it down. For years people have used the Amazing Slowdowner for that - its a paid program but there's a free version that might work for you.
Also a bonus photo of me playing with Will Keys and Chester Wilson. Will was a great banjo player and a real one-of-a-kind person.


Feb 2, 2022 - 9:43:24 PM

Quincy

Belgium

344 posts since 1/16/2021

Hey DougD, yes, I had already found it , thank you for posting, it's my first shuffle tune where I can actually do the shuffling. But for sure I cannot keep up with this tempo yet, will I ever is the question !
I love banjo and guitar together with fiddle <3

Feb 3, 2022 - 10:52:05 AM

391 posts since 7/30/2021

DougD, wow that is seriously good! :-)
love the banjo going there. And you all are so tight Together on the beat ... I can only dream.

Edited by - NCnotes on 02/03/2022 10:53:45

Apr 10, 2022 - 1:43:29 PM
likes this

83 posts since 7/24/2012

I have another suggestion for you: youtube.com/watch?v=BYP2EQFhE-Y&t=9s

 

Edited by - Mitch Reed on 04/10/2022 13:43:51

May 21, 2022 - 8:48:16 AM

4318 posts since 6/23/2007

Have you checked out the "Fiddlehed" videos on Youtube ?

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2   3  4

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.28125