Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   4   Next Page   Last Page (4) 

Dec 3, 2021 - 4:21:56 AM

13180 posts since 9/23/2009

Yeah I forgot again already...lol. I switch tunings around so much I have to think about it or else it reveals itself to me whether I want it to or not...lol. No, it's not usually a problem since I normally have favorite tunings for favorite tunes. But anyway, I think in the one where I played Waterbound I was in GDAE, standard. In the other one I think it was GDGD. Glad the video was helpful, Anja!

Dec 3, 2021 - 4:31:35 AM
likes this

43 posts since 6/12/2015

Great videos Peggy. Very helpful.

Dec 3, 2021 - 4:46:44 AM
likes this

Thanks, Screecher. You and Quincy are making my day!

Dec 3, 2021 - 4:47:57 AM

Hope you'll play us a tune here one day when you feel like it!

Dec 3, 2021 - 6:33:16 AM
likes this

391 posts since 7/30/2021

quote:
Originally posted by Quincy

Want to watch these videos now but first my Belgian malinois needs some entertainment...

So cool that you live in Belgium, and have a Belgian malinois!
They'll keep ya fit for sure!!
I've got a german shepherd/husky mix. He used to be very active, but is slowing down now as he gets older.

I'm excited to come back and watch Peggy's videos later.

( We have our chamber ensemble concert on Sunday so I'm trying to just practice concert music till then! 
Must. not. fiddle. Must. play. Haydn....laugh)  

Dec 3, 2021 - 6:43:14 AM
like this

316 posts since 4/15/2019

Shuffle bowing is something you have to do without thinking about it too much. The more you concentrate on it, the harder it is to do! If that makes sense. Learn the principals of how it is done and then practice it at a slow pace until your brain gets the rhythm of it then just do it without thinking about it too much!

Dec 3, 2021 - 9:21:47 AM

Quincy

Belgium

344 posts since 1/16/2021

quote:
Originally posted by NCnotes
quote:

Want to watch these videos now but first my Belgian malinois needs some entertainment...

So cool that you live in Belgium, and have a Belgian malinois!
They'll keep ya fit for sure!!
I've got a german shepherd/husky mix. He used to be very active, but is slowing down now as he gets older.

I'm excited to come back and watch Peggy's videos later.

( We have our chamber ensemble concert on Sunday so I'm trying to just practice concert music till then! 
Must. not. fiddle. Must. play. Haydn....laugh)  

Beautiful mix I think! I feel a bit bad I was trying so hard to learn to shuffle that Dixie had to spend a couple of hours in her bench. About to free her now.  Then its'time for some training, keep her happy. 

Dec 3, 2021 - 2:49:06 PM

9988 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by old cowboy

Shuffle bowing is something you have to do without thinking about it too much. The more you concentrate on it, the harder it is to do! If that makes sense. Learn the principals of how it is done and then practice it at a slow pace until your brain gets the rhythm of it then just do it without thinking about it too much!

...not to mention that the shuffle pattern can be used in various ways.. played one string, two strings (one a drone), one AND two stings, with first note emphasis, with second note emphasis and with NO particular note emphasis.  Lots of nuances..

Dec 3, 2021 - 3:13:55 PM

I forgot to mention my Favorite use of the shuffle pattern... I'll play the first, long note on One note one string, and then JUST the first short note on TWO strings and finally the second short not on one string.. This method gives a nice little double-stop ( or similar) back beat sound....!! Do any of you play it that way?

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
Dec 3, 2021 - 4:37:44 PM
likes this

You mean rocking the bow? Yeah I do that all the time. I compare that to drop thumb on clawhammer...seems it functions in the same way to me.

Dec 3, 2021 - 6:16:23 PM
likes this

5806 posts since 9/26/2008

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver

I forgot to mention my Favorite use of the shuffle pattern... I'll play the first, long note on One note one string, and then JUST the first short note on TWO strings and finally the second short not on one string.. This method gives a nice little double-stop ( or similar) back beat sound....!! Do any of you play it that way?

That's basically what I'm doing in demo 2.

Dec 3, 2021 - 11:37 PM

Quincy

Belgium

I'm going to take this to class today, I wonder what my violin teacher can do with hush puppy. I'll take hush puppy, like grashopper better but hush puppy is just easier to pronounce irl hehe.
I bet she knows what to do with it. I've been trying so hard and still it seems very hard to do. When I use a metronome I slowly fall out of the rhythm and can't jump back in.

Edited by - Quincy on 12/03/2021 23:37:28

Dec 3, 2021 - 11:38:47 PM
like this

Quincy

Belgium

I wanna rock the bow too lol. Dammit I want this so hard, more than anything.

Dec 4, 2021 - 5:18:15 AM
likes this

Lol...that's how I always feel about music. Dwight Diller, the clawhammer banjo guy, told me I was "desperate" to play music. And I am. And it sounds like you are too...that's probably a good motivator to work your way through...we can all find our way if we just keep going. That desperation is a helpful thing because it won't let us stop.

Dec 4, 2021 - 5:32:29 AM
like this

quote:

Keep watching videos of fiddlers... Millions available.. Slow them down and WATCH their bow hands ..MIMIC !!, Grasshopper, mimic.

laugh When I was learning to play, a fiddler said, "Don't just listen to me, WATCH me also"..

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 12/04/2021 05:34:06

Dec 4, 2021 - 7:01:28 AM
like this

Adult learners always seem to want "it" to happen in an unrealistically short time frame. Hours and hours of practice is needed; there are no short cuts.

As the saying goes, patience is a virtue.

Dec 4, 2021 - 7:03:14 AM
like this

Seems like the motivation is key...you wanna do it, you won't rest until you do do it.

Somehow that didn't come out quite right, with the wording...but...I don't know...I think we all find our way if we just keep going and going, like the old Energizer Bunny used to do, only with a fiddle instead of a drum.

I remember hearing one time that Chet Atkins would actually take his guitar to bed with him as a child...picking himself to sleep...that's motivation! We could all be better off with that kinda dose...and find our own way. Except, maybe crush our instrument or get poked in the eye or something while sleeping...lol.

Dec 4, 2021 - 2:14 PM
like this

2347 posts since 8/23/2008

quote:

As Billy says, take your time with this, your own time, every one takes different time.  Even the title of this thread seems to infer your impatience.

Don't worry about..."How long does it take before you see the light?". Have a practice routine and continually add new skills to it. 

Always remember to practice in a state of 'minimal tension', make a special effort during your sessions to focus on just that, continually check and re-check through simple left and right hand exercises.  Relish this journey and before you know it you'll be rocking.... 

Dec 4, 2021 - 2:27:05 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by buckhenry
quote:

As Billy says, take your time with this, your own time, every one takes different time.  Even the title of this thread seems to infer your impatience.

Don't worry about..."How long does it take before you see the light?". Have a practice routine and continually add new skills to it. 

Always remember to practice in a state of 'minimal tension', make a special effort during your sessions to focus on just that, continually check and re-check through simple left and right hand exercises.  Relish this journey and before you know it you'll be rocking.... 

Bingo! 

Dec 4, 2021 - 3:42:07 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by groundhogpeggy

You mean rocking the bow? Yeah I do that all the time. I compare that to drop thumb on clawhammer...seems it functions in the same way to me.

With the greatest of respect.. NO.. It is not rockin' the bow, but something profoundly different... Someday we are going to jam and I'll demonstrate.. It is  a dropping of the bow at the strings, not at the wrist...best way to describe it.. If I was talented enough I'd make a video.!!! Actually there IS a video of it somewhere online, but for the life of me I can't find it!!!

Dec 4, 2021 - 4:27:33 PM

Lol...too bad you can't find it in the zillions of bowing videos on youtube. Do you remember who was doing it, or the tune, or anything that could somehow help narrow down the possibilities?

Dec 4, 2021 - 5:22:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by groundhogpeggy

Lol...too bad you can't find it in the zillions of bowing videos on youtube. Do you remember who was doing it, or the tune, or anything that could somehow help narrow down the possibilities?

Frankly, no... Maybe 15 years ago I watched a video that showed a Celtic style musician demonstrating the technique and then later found  a printed description, unrelated to the video and a light went off in my head!!! "HEY.. That is what I"M doing!".. So long ago, wish I'd paid more attention to what it was called.. Billy  (chickenman) may   comment, but I MAY have shown it to him during his last visit to my home.   As I understand it, rocking the bow involves motion of the bow frog..up and down or circular.. What I'm referring to is the frog being a pivot point for the bow (at the strings) being pushed down by the index finger and the bow stick virtually,  not literally  'kisses' the bow hair which bends  the hair around  just enough to touch an adjacent string..Visually, it may seem that nothing is happening at the frog. The effect can be seen as the bow stick drops straight down while moving horizontally !!!  Strange.. and difficult to put into print..

Dec 4, 2021 - 5:56:22 PM
likes this

If you listen to my demo 2, you will see that after I show what straight/square shuffling is, I do exactly what Lee is taking about - giving a little weight to the bow while bowing one string to touch two then back to just one. It is not rocking the bow from one string to another. I play the scale on one string but include the second string as part of the shuffle.

Dec 4, 2021 - 6:26:11 PM

Not sure I'm clear on what we are talking about...I'm no good with discussing the mechanics of where the frog is or where your wrist is, etc. I'm just hearing two strings or one at times...don't know. Trying to think of it in the context of a tune...don't know if I've done it or heard it or not in a tune...it is really hard to put these sorts of things into words or to understand them when put into words...lol.

Dec 4, 2021 - 6:28:03 PM

I've heard people say bowing circles with rocking the bow, but my mind doesn't think of it that way at all...maybe that's the mechanics of that particular thing, but for me, the idea of circles gives me a mental imagery of a lot more motion than I personally would put into it. But the other thing...I don't know...gonna have to think if I understand or not...thinking not, lol...at the moment, but I'll keep thinking.

Thanks for all the efforts at explaining it...sheesh...it's always been hard to talk about.

Edited by - groundhogpeggy on 12/04/2021 18:30:37

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   4   Next Page   Last Page (4) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories