Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Oct 17, 2021 - 4:55:31 PM

9468 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by bsed

People that don't know fiddle music (that's most people) can only think of two titles to request. You know damn well what the other one is.

So ya just got to figure out some other way to 'Wow' them. "Here's a tune you'll like better" or "Here's a harder tune" (and then play what you like.)

I SORT of did that today.. I offered, instead, the Star of Munster, which I play very well.

Oct 17, 2021 - 5:20:40 PM

Old Scratch

Canada

839 posts since 6/22/2016

Speaking of Jerusalem Ridge - thread drift - I read the other day that there is a belief among certain people that that tune was composed by Tom Dooley (Dula). He did indeed play the fiddle, apparently, but how anyone got from that to 'he composed Jerusalem Ridge', I'll be hornswoggled if I can tell ... !

Oct 17, 2021 - 5:36:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Old Scratch

Speaking of Jerusalem Ridge - thread drift - I read the other day that there is a belief among certain people that that tune was composed by Tom Dooley (Dula). He did indeed play the fiddle, apparently, but how anyone got from that to 'he composed Jerusalem Ridge', I'll be hornswoggled if I can tell ... !

Not too off topic.. I read that Charlie Daniels said in a New York Times interview, that The Devil Went Down TO Georgia  had nothing to do with Lonesome Fiddler Blues, even though He, Charlie, was in Vassar Clement's band when Vassar composed  the tune and even though his fiddle part is a LOOOOT like that of Vassar's tune....  Change a note here and change a not there and you have another tune.. Sometimes the actual source of a tune can be hard to nail down..I busk to Jerusalem Ridge daily, and I love that tune.. Frankly, I don't care who wrote it. 

Oct 17, 2021 - 5:45:41 PM
like this

Old Scratch

Canada

839 posts since 6/22/2016

Bill Munro, apparently. Not as good a story, though ... !

Nov 19, 2021 - 12:26:54 PM
likes this

UPDATE... NObody has been asking... but I'm SURE that you have all been wondering..wink (yeah, right).... I'm working on the tune daily and have a good handle on all of the fiddle parts (3/4 speed) except for the Devil's parts....It is getting easier and  I'm not rushing myself....The only parts I intend to sing while busking are the four phrases the first of which starts  with "Fire on the Mountain, run boys run.!!" After those, there is that fast crazy fiddle part which is really pretty straight forward when  looked at closely... Once I Memorize all of that it is just a matter of repetition.. I may have to see 'cash up front' for this tune when I'm busking................

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 11/19/2021 12:27:39

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories