Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Oct 13, 2021 - 3:47:05 PM
likes this
9468 posts since 3/19/2009

THis keeps coming up when I'm busking..I looked at the sheet music and I really COULD learn it.. It isn't that difficult..but... without vocals and backup it just sounds like a lot of notes.. Do people really think that I'm going to sound like Charlie Daniels? He wasn't alone up on that stage.. Seems to me that people think high enough of me to think that I can play that tune but I do think that their expectations don't meet the reality of my playing!!! They will expect a lot more sound than my little fiddle can produce.
Do any of you play that tune??

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 10/13/2021 15:47:58

Oct 13, 2021 - 4:58 PM
likes this

2302 posts since 8/23/2008

The tune is basically a two part melody with a narrative between, which includes four other sections of music. Of course all parts are included when playing in a band, but if solo/busking I just play Johnny's theme, parts AA BB, with some wild licks for the devil's part. If I knew all the lyrics then I would play the entire arrangement.

Oct 13, 2021 - 5:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by buckhenry

The tune is basically a two part melody with a narrative between, which includes four other sections of music. Of course all parts are included when playing in a band, but if solo/busking I just play Johnny's theme, parts AA BB, with some wild licks for the devil's part. If I knew all the lyrics then I would play the entire arrangement.

Yes... If I can just play a little of the tune, maybe people will be satisfied..

Oct 13, 2021 - 5:05:43 PM
like this

Old Scratch

Canada

839 posts since 6/22/2016

My attitude was a bit like yours at some point, back when I used to get asked for it - after awhile, that stopped happening - not because anyone had heard me play it, mind. I dug up the sheet music, spent a few minutes on it - enough to know that it would be possible to learn it, and to get a sense of just how much time that would take (a lot). Later on, I found out that it was based on a well-known American tune - The [something] Rag? - someone will chime in with it - so if I felt the need now for something like TDWDTG, I would just learn that - it's close enough .... Hell, you could just say you're going to play it, then play Orange Blossom Special or Arkansas Traveller and most people would be satisfied.

Oct 13, 2021 - 5:12:35 PM
likes this

2302 posts since 8/23/2008

It's a simple tune with a basic double tonic progression... Dm-C, like 'Drunken Sailor'.
I'm sure you could pick it up by ear.

Apparently the tune was originally written by  Vassar Clements called..."Lonesome Fiddle Blues" 

Edited by - buckhenry on 10/13/2021 17:19:57

Oct 13, 2021 - 5:32:49 PM
likes this

This is doable..

Oct 13, 2021 - 5:34:40 PM
like this

DougD

USA

10329 posts since 12/2/2007

Yes, the fiddle part is based on "Lonesome Fiddle Blues" composed by Vassar Clements:
youtu.be/BUxY6S0PFPA

Oct 13, 2021 - 5:51:02 PM
likes this

DougD

USA

And the narrative is loosely based on the poem "The Mountain Whippoorwill" by Stephen Vincent Benet, which in turn was based on a 1924 New York Times article about a fiddle contest involving the real life fiddler Lowe Stokes.
greenevillesun.com/news/local_...18f5.html
Funny I've never been asked to play this one (or recite the poem), but I used to have a photo of me with Lowe Stokes. He was a lot older than me, but I looked a lot rougher!

Oct 13, 2021 - 5:51:05 PM
like this

2465 posts since 10/22/2007

I don't busk but I still have to apologize occasionally for not being able to play it.

That being said, I have been working on singing and playing at once. My efforts are to systemize a method where it doesn't take so much work. Currently I have to voice each song individually. Maybe I should drift this to it's own thread.

Oct 13, 2021 - 6:24:45 PM
like this

11 posts since 9/18/2019

Isn't that the song where you have to actually out play the devil? There's kids around here that can beat me in a fiddlin' contest, so I dern sure aint gonna be dueling with the devil!

Oct 13, 2021 - 6:28:07 PM
likes this

481 posts since 6/11/2019

I view this song the same as 'Dueling Banjo's' for a banjer player: good grief.

I love Charlie Daniels. But, being a fiddle player FROM Ga, I can attest to groans from fiddlers when people up from Atlanta constantly ask them to play it, cause they are ignorant of anything else. A rock pop song with snippets of fiddle tunes throwed in. I don't know which ones--something in major, then minor: Blackberry Blossom or something like that. The same people that ask for OBS--Lordamighty.

It's like someone busking a guitar and every passer-by asks them to play "Free-bird", or "Stairway to Heaven".

Oct 13, 2021 - 6:31:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DougD

And the narrative is loosely based on the poem "The Mountain Whippoorwill" by Stephen Vincent Benet, which in turn was based on a 1924 New York Times article about a fiddle contest involving the real life fiddler Lowe Stokes.
greenevillesun.com/news/local_...18f5.html
Funny I've never been asked to play this one (or recite the poem), but I used to have a photo of me with Lowe Stokes. He was a lot older than me, but I looked a lot rougher!

Good article.. mentions how Lowe Stokes lost most of his bow hand in a shotgun incident.. I found a photo of what was left of the hand!!! Tough guy.

Oct 13, 2021 - 6:40:06 PM
like this

quote:
Originally posted by Flat_the_3rd_n7th

I view this song the same as 'Dueling Banjo's' for a banjer player: good grief.

I love Charlie Daniels. But, being a fiddle player FROM Ga, I can attest to groans from fiddlers when people up from Atlanta constantly ask them to play it, cause they are ignorant of anything else. A rock pop song with snippets of fiddle tunes throwed in. I don't know which ones--something in major, then minor: Blackberry Blossom or something like that. The same people that ask for OBS--Lordamighty.

It's like someone busking a guitar and every passer-by asks them to play "Free-bird", or "Stairway to Heaven".

I have a vivid memory of a guy who asked me to play OBS.. I told him I'd played a fiddle for 45 years and never heard of the OBS... He was incredulous...walked away shaking his head in disbelief... I'm feeling just a Little guilty for deceiving him..just a little.  Back on topic... In the past I've sometimes told people that if they would SING the TDWDTG...then I'd kick in at the fiddle part... Don't know what I'd have done is someone actually knew the words!!!

So... If I DO learn the tune.. do I get to charge a larger tip since it is a requested tune?? which also reminds me of a cartoon.. Guy sitting with his fiddle on a sidewalk.. He has a sign that reads, "Play your request $2........ Stop playing your request $5".. Always did think that was funny..

Oct 13, 2021 - 6:51:15 PM
likes this

12496 posts since 9/23/2009
Online Now

Well I never play in front of people anymore...but back a long, long time ago, in a far away galaxy, when i was a one (wo)man-band of my own style for a while...I really cringed when people had requests. What they wanted...I mean...most of it one person could never sound right attempting...there's just no good way to do something all by yourself that took a whole band to make into what the people are expecting...they expect miracles. I usually answered requests by something like..."I only play that one when the moon is full..." unless there was a full moon, of course. People who make requests usually don't know what it's like to get out there and just play some music with whatever you've got handy...they don't get it...their requests are usually out of the question...lol.

Oct 13, 2021 - 7:25:56 PM
like this

Old Scratch

Canada

839 posts since 6/22/2016

Hmmm ... I wonder if that tune is as easy as Vassar Clemens makes it look?

Oct 13, 2021 - 8:31:33 PM

12496 posts since 9/23/2009
Online Now

Lol...we all know the answer to that one, Old Scratch!

Oct 14, 2021 - 4:32:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Old Scratch

Hmmm ... I wonder if that tune is as easy as Vassar Clemens makes it look?

definitely didn't see any Nashville Shuffle...

Oct 14, 2021 - 4:35:29 AM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by groundhogpeggy

Well I never play in front of people anymore...but back a long, long time ago, in a far away galaxy, when i was a one (wo)man-band of my own style for a while...I really cringed when people had requests. What they wanted...I mean...most of it one person could never sound right attempting...there's just no good way to do something all by yourself that took a whole band to make into what the people are expecting...they expect miracles. I usually answered requests by something like..."I only play that one when the moon is full..." unless there was a full moon, of course. People who make requests usually don't know what it's like to get out there and just play some music with whatever you've got handy...they don't get it...their requests are usually out of the question...lol.

This  summer, a guy requested  the Devil....He had a dollar bill in his hand  and when I said I didn't play it, he actually looked angry as he stuffed the bill into his pocket and stormed off... 

Oct 14, 2021 - 5:01:25 AM

That version of Lonesome Fiddle Blues is twice as fast as I've ever heard it. I have an old Homespun video where Vasser teaches the tune. A lot clearer. And it makes me think if one were to just play that, and not explain, I recon folks would be satisfied. If not, oh well.

Oct 14, 2021 - 5:07:41 AM
likes this

I have played OBS solo, by request. I apologized in advance. Hartford would've had them clapping rhythm. But I've never had an audience that could clap in time. It can be a train wreck even with a band.

Oct 14, 2021 - 7:50:32 AM
like this

DougD

USA

Here's a video where Vassar teaches the tune:
youtu.be/oMQetPRL2Uo

As far as tips, Lee, there used to be a sign in Preservation Hall, the bastion of traditional New Orleans jazz that read:
"Tradiional requests $2
Others $5
Saints $10"
They eventually had to increase the prices because of inflation. I'd say it would be similar in this case.

Oct 14, 2021 - 1:18:19 PM

Thanks Doug, for tracking down that video of Vassar teaching the tune.. I see that in the second half of the video he played what he taught in the first half (NOT)... Anyway.. WOW what a great fiddler...!! Hey, every one of the Hangout members should watch the entire video.. it is amazing..

Oct 14, 2021 - 5:40:22 PM

DougD

USA

Here's another performance of "Lonesome Fiddle Blues" for you Vassar Clements fans youtu.be/Vx4EdFCtlwI
Don't know if its any slower, but it seems a good time was had by all.

Oct 15, 2021 - 12:59:16 PM
likes this

gapbob

USA

787 posts since 4/20/2008

John McKuen would recite a poem
yourdailypoem.com/listpoem.jsp...m_id=1932
About a fiddle contest. Do that instead.
Play fiddle in the background as you can .

Edited by - gapbob on 10/15/2021 13:10:46

Oct 15, 2021 - 1:18:54 PM

Today, while busking, I found myself weaving (TuneWeaver) in and out and around that great tune, Jerusalem Ridge. The crowd loved it.. Lots of variations and rhythm.. STILL not ready to try TDWDTG... but it is in the wings and getting ready to fly!!

Oct 17, 2021 - 4:36:26 PM
like this

bsed

USA

4181 posts since 6/23/2007

People that don't know fiddle music (that's most people) can only think of two titles to request. You know damn well what the other one is.

So ya just got to figure out some other way to 'Wow' them. "Here's a tune you'll like better" or "Here's a harder tune" (and then play what you like.)

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories