Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page: 1  2   3   Next Page   Last Page (3) 

Aug 24, 2021 - 12:58:01 PM
likes this
1635 posts since 4/6/2014

Don't we?.... Or because we have just invested to much time in it to let it go ?

...Or do we expect to make actual money from it ? Or win friends and influence people?

Jeez help me... why do we do it ?...Somebody stop me...No not really i love it....But why?...

Aug 24, 2021 - 1:22:26 PM
like this

9468 posts since 3/19/2009

Right.. WHY?? After 45 years of playing I have finally figured out that allz ya get for learning a tune you worked on for weeks.. is.. tired of playing it and now you need another tune to get your 'fix'...

Aug 24, 2021 - 1:26:36 PM
like this

Work your fingers to the bone what do you get .....Boney fingers ....Boney fingers

Aug 24, 2021 - 1:55:55 PM
like this

755 posts since 8/10/2017

I actually do it because I think that it is important to do things that get you involved in your community with face-to-face interaction with other human beings.

Aug 24, 2021 - 2:42:52 PM
like this

Swing

USA

2070 posts since 6/26/2007

Playing fiddle for the hell of it????? you have to be kidding....if I wanted to beat my head against a door for no reason I could think of better things to do with my time and energy, geez. No, I wanted to be famous and rich and liked by everyone, I thought that the fiddle was the magic panacea to obtain that....and now you are suggesting that I am crazy.... whoa there partner... I am not going to let you influence my learning of the C blues scale or how to cross string diminished scales do just because you had a bad thought.... no way .....what did you say?

Play Happy

Swing

Aug 24, 2021 - 3:12:48 PM
like this
Players Union Member

boxbow

USA

2687 posts since 2/3/2011

It scratches the itch on the inside of my scalp.

Aug 24, 2021 - 3:45:59 PM
like this

WyoBob

USA

301 posts since 5/16/2019

quote:
Originally posted by pete_fiddle

why do we do it ?...

Because somebody told me there'd be free refreshments?

Aug 24, 2021 - 4:40:34 PM
like this

755 posts since 8/10/2017

quote:
Originally posted by boxbow

It scratches the itch on the inside of my scalp.

The bow makes a pretty good back scratcher.

Aug 24, 2021 - 6:35:24 PM
like this

239 posts since 9/6/2011

I don't want to disappoint all of those people that think that I am crazy.

Aug 24, 2021 - 6:52:24 PM
likes this

481 posts since 6/11/2019

I'm from N. Georgia mtns:  6th gen.

Georgians issue from the womb complete holding a small fiddle. Some wean from it, throw it away and go to work at the bank. Some keep it and grow with it. John Carson, etc. Some even beat the devil in contests with it.

It's genetics. Our portion, and so forth. All that said, I don't know why I'm so bad at it. And I keep coming back for more.

Edited by - Flat_the_3rd_n7th on 08/24/2021 18:53:30

Aug 24, 2021 - 7:14:44 PM
like this

5486 posts since 9/26/2008

To be honest, it started as a way to better understand how that little wooden box worked because I wanted to build them (gave that idea up after sweet lady fiddle set her hooks into me). But the guitar was my instrument and I didn't give the fiddle much attention other than to keep up my bow arm because I had the guitar to keep me busy. I got invited to play with a bluegrass band, and played fiddle and mandolin with them for a few years. Then arthritis put an end to the guitar as I had known it and the fiddle was my only musical outlet. I have since formed a ukulele band, but the fiddle keeps my ears and mind sharp. 

I've made music with others almost my entire life and the fiddle allows me to continue to do that, which is a necessity for my mental and spiritual well-being.

Edited by - ChickenMan on 08/24/2021 19:16:41

Aug 24, 2021 - 7:20:09 PM

2465 posts since 10/22/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Swing

Playing fiddle for the hell of it????? you have to be kidding....if I wanted to beat my head against a door for no reason I could think of better things to do with my time and energy, geez. No, I wanted to be famous and rich and liked by everyone, I thought that the fiddle was the magic panacea to obtain that....and now you are suggesting that I am crazy.... whoa there partner... I am not going to let you influence my learning of the C blues scale or how to cross string diminished scales do just because you had a bad thought.... no way .....what did you say?

Play Happy

Swing

I've had enough gin to get this. Why the gin? I quit a jam tonight because some body thought that a saw was a musical instrument. Twice I offered  $100 to destroy the saw. They too were nauseated passed the point of ability to do anything but depart. I. . .I.  . need more gin. Else I feel the need to gouge my brains out. 

Aug 25, 2021 - 1:06:06 AM

Dragonslayer

Mozambique

295 posts since 9/1/2019

I actually usually make more money by busking than I did at my day job... unfortunately there's not many good places to do that in south east texas where I recently moved. People don't walk there

Aug 25, 2021 - 3:07:49 AM
like this

2784 posts since 9/13/2009

quote:
Originally posted by pete_fiddle

Don't we?.... Or because we have just invested to much time in it to let it go ?

...Or do we expect to make actual money from it ? Or win friends and influence people?

Jeez help me... why do we do it ?...Somebody stop me...No not really i love it....But why?...

Music has been part of most of my life; so I relate it to living life and most fun experiences I had... on a deeper level involves liking sounds, music - but on DIY level, the ability to tailor to as personal expressive outlet. I don't think much about nor count the time invested; nor regret any of the time playing fiddle, or any other instrument.

...Or do we expect to make actual money from it ?

Can't say or separate if the role making money initially might have had influence on my progress incentive. I mostly started with paid gigs, goal of picking up fiddle was just another tool or sound texture to add to these paid gigs. While I often have other utilitarian goal for motivation, such as playing for dancers (one of my favorite things), or other gig; those often include expecting to getting paid. Also gets me into fun festivals. Fun and money are not mutually exclusive to me.

Or win friends and influence people?

Not sure what that is about; but playing music has introduced me to most of my friends and social circle; including romantic relationships. As well played a part being introduced folks from around the world; and opportunities and adventures of travel.

IMO, sure beats watching game or reality TV shows; or those 24hr cable news networks.

Aug 25, 2021 - 3:59:33 AM
like this

12496 posts since 9/23/2009

I have nowhere to play, nobody to play with, nobody to listen, etc. No reason to play. I love it though...at least I have youtube to play for. I love playing and recording, but I hate that I love something so ... I would say meaningless, but I can't bring myself to call it that. Something that just goes nowhere. I hate that I love something like that the way I do love it. but i do...if I ws the last person left on earth, I would make sure I had enough rosin and strings to get through to the end...lol.

Aug 25, 2021 - 4:57:38 AM
like this

2392 posts since 10/1/2008

Well ... it's about love. If I didn't love to hear a fiddle I would never have spent so much time and money learning how to barely play one. And in truth I was also getting tired of being the umpteenth guitar player or mandolinist at a jam.

Aug 25, 2021 - 5:17:07 AM
like this

2784 posts since 9/13/2009

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan

I've made music with others almost my entire life and the fiddle allows me to continue to do that, which is a necessity for my mental and spiritual well-being.

I agree. This reminds me of a book I read, or perhaps some TED lecture... about the importance of music, and why it's good for everyone to sing, (and dance).

Just as it why it's important to engage in regular physical activity; walks, run, bike, swim, ski... even if not about being professional level... it has overall benefits to physical health just doing.

There is something about not just listening, but regular active participating in music activity, which can be associated with good for mental and spiritual health. Like physical activity, not focused on how good you get, makes money, or let anyone else hear it. IIRC, there was something esp about singing, being the most physical, direct, intimate and deep.

Singing/dancing with others combines the self with bonding experience, good for healthy social relationships.

... the fiddle keeps my ears and mind sharp

That is another aspect that they point to playing music and brain health. As playing music exercises the brain, something to do with plasticity and building neuron connections... esp if involves new creative material/skills or creativity; dealing with challenges and problem solving.

Edited by - alaskafiddler on 08/25/2021 05:30:04

Aug 25, 2021 - 9:47:15 AM
like this

Cliche Alert....."While Rome burns"....LOL

Edited by - pete_fiddle on 08/25/2021 09:48:22

Aug 25, 2021 - 9:55:40 AM
like this

111 posts since 7/30/2021

- Because making music has been a compulsion from birth...my earliest memories are singing loudly in the car while my poor parents drove.

- Because making good music with other humans is so fun, one of the greatest joys of life! :-D

- Fiddle, because I like folk music and I already learned how to play this thing (thanks to my scary violin teacher who made me cry sometimes)

Edited by - NCnotes on 08/25/2021 09:56:59

Aug 25, 2021 - 10:17:38 AM
like this

No. Joking aside i like to play because in some way i feel in touch with folk "who have gone before". After all they probably had the same amount of fingers as me, and the same basic needs. And left me all these dots to try and figure out what they meant by them. And the problem of how to make sense out of them with this weird shaped wooden box with strings on. And a stick with hair on it that they came up with as well.

Aug 25, 2021 - 10:30:13 AM
like this

111 posts since 7/30/2021

Yea, in the days before Spotify, streaming music, YouTube, radio, etc ...
you didn't have music in your house unless you sang or played it yourself.
People just got together, played music, danced, connected.
Everyone's music was appreciated, even if they weren't some big "concert-quality" musician.

I feel like that's really what music is about...

Aug 25, 2021 - 12:57 PM
like this

1904 posts since 12/11/2008

All of the above.

Aug 25, 2021 - 3:37:53 PM
likes this

WyoBob

USA

301 posts since 5/16/2019

I started playing the fiddle (two years ago) because, 4 or 5 people I played old time music with were outstanding fiddle players.   I'd been playing the banjo for 5 years or so when I joined the group.   After watching these amazing players play so well, I became fascinated with their fiddle playing and wondered, "how can they play such great music  on such a short neck with no frets!" so, I bought a fiddle two years ago at age 72 to see if I could do it.  And  ---

I've been hooked ever since.   I don't play my banjo's much anymore (a fact that my wife mentions to me on occasion because she really likes old time music and the sound of the banjo.)   I wake up in the morning around 5:00 am on average and can't wait to make coffee and breakfast and get done with it so I can head to the basement and pick up my fiddle.smiley  

Aug 25, 2021 - 5:04:04 PM
like this

179 posts since 11/24/2018

quote:
Originally posted by groundhogpeggy

I have nowhere to play, nobody to play with, nobody to listen, etc. No reason to play. I love it though...at least I have youtube to play for. I love playing and recording, but I hate that I love something so ... I would say meaningless, but I can't bring myself to call it that. Something that just goes nowhere. I hate that I love something like that the way I do love it. but i do...if I ws the last person left on earth, I would make sure I had enough rosin and strings to get through to the end...lol.

I love this. 

Aug 26, 2021 - 6:03:49 PM
like this

72 posts since 9/4/2007

Always been moved by traditional music. Can't explain it. I like other stuff too, but that was always the first draw. Still remember the moment of hearing a guy play Salty Dog on a guitar in a country blues ragtime style on the Midnight Special program (WFMT Chicago) and thinking "I want to play this stuff." Was in about 7th or 8th grade then. Feeling has never gone away.. Played guitar for a long time, then mandolin, and then banjo as needed. It seemed to stop there, but then awhile back all the good fiddle players moved out of town and I realized that, if I was going to hear the sound of old time fiddle I liked, I would have to do it myself. Still working at it.

Aug 26, 2021 - 6:14:30 PM
like this

JonD

USA

35 posts since 2/12/2021

Backing guitar is my 'home base', my comfort zone. Bouzouki is rounding second, thanks to a few years solid work. And then I've taken a swing at a lot of different melody instruments over the past few years (mando, banjo, whistle, even concertina), but fiddle is the only one that's stuck, that makes me want to come back to the plate, day after day. I may never even get on base with it, but it doesn't seem to matter. The challenge for me is supreme, and I love everything about, it even when I have those days where I put it away in disgust after 5 minutes (I always sneak back later and resurrect some dignity). I sense that same feeling in everyone here, and it's a great thing.

So anyway, how 'bout those Cubs? :-/

Page: 1  2   3   Next Page   Last Page (3) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories