Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

95
Fiddle Lovers Online


Aug 2, 2021 - 9:36:46 AM
3127 posts since 6/21/2007

So, Saturday I finally decided to tune my fiddle back up; it has been hanging on the wall for several months through heat, humidity (high & low), and cooling - I do live in Arizona, after all.

I spent about a half-hour tuning the durned thing, finding an on-line tuning app to get me into the right octave, and got it fairly close. Went to dinner, and later that evening while the wife and I were reading in the living room, there came a "WHACK!" sound from the den; upon investigation, the bridge on the fiddle had fallen over under pressure from the strings.

Yesterday afternoon I took time to de-tune, remove the torte mutes (2) and the small wire mute (whatever it is called, can't remember), stood the bridge back up and spent a half-hour or so retuning and adjusting the fine tuners to mid-position. The rubber torte's were simple enough to re-install, but I'll be damned if I can remember how to put that wire one back on. Any simple methods? An inquiring mind would like to know.

Aug 2, 2021 - 10:18:05 AM
likes this

70 posts since 7/30/2021

Well, my bridge fell over three times this past year. Finally I gave up and took in to the music shop.

They have a special trained way - measure the position of the bridge to make sure it's straight, put a little graphite under the strings so they slide easily and don't catch on the bridge, etc...and I hate to say this, but they told me that your bridge can become bowed/warped in changing weather conditions and that may be what's causing it to fall over...so you may want to check for that...

Anyway this shop did the "adjustment" for free, and my bridge has stood up since then!

Sorry, I don't know about the mutes, I've only got one (a little rubber sliding thing)?

Aug 2, 2021 - 10:52:21 AM
likes this

echord

USA

764 posts since 4/5/2009

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoBrad

So, Saturday I finally decided to tune my fiddle back up; it has been hanging on the wall for several months through heat, humidity (high & low), and cooling - I do live in Arizona, after all.

I spent about a half-hour tuning the durned thing, finding an on-line tuning app to get me into the right octave, and got it fairly close. Went to dinner, and later that evening while the wife and I were reading in the living room, there came a "WHACK!" sound from the den; upon investigation, the bridge on the fiddle had fallen over under pressure from the strings.

Yesterday afternoon I took time to de-tune, remove the torte mutes (2) and the small wire mute (whatever it is called, can't remember), stood the bridge back up and spent a half-hour or so retuning and adjusting the fine tuners to mid-position. The rubber torte's were simple enough to re-install, but I'll be damned if I can remember how to put that wire one back on. Any simple methods? An inquiring mind would like to know.


Here is a YouTube link for this type of mute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_231CKZJLC8  It usually helps to loosen the D and A strings when installing, but after some practice you may be able to do it without loosening the strings. I believe this topic has been discussed on this site in the past, so you can also do a search here.

Edited by - echord on 08/02/2021 10:54:37

Aug 2, 2021 - 11:43:55 AM
likes this

1983 posts since 8/27/2008

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoBrad

...Yesterday afternoon I took time to de-tune, remove the torte mutes (2) and the small wire mute


You use 3 mutes?? Either that's one loud fiddle, lor you don't really want to hear it. It's a good idea to keep an eye on your bridge over time. It should stay perpendicular to the top on the button side. If it starts to drift you can grab the top of the bridge on both sides and wiggle it back into place before things get too bad.

Aug 2, 2021 - 11:57:46 AM
likes this

3127 posts since 6/21/2007

Thanks, all.

The bridge fell because I first attempted to tune the fiddle and it was >really< flat (maybe 3-6 steps flat, depending on which string). I didn't even think about checking whether the tuning had caused the bridge to start leaning, so I was made aware of the fact when the bridge went down with force!

I did use my handy-dandy graphite applicator (commonly referred to as a Ticonderoga #2) and lube the bridge slots during the re-setting. I'm pretty confident it will stay up and that it is in the proper location, thanks to marks for the feet.

Brian - the fiddle is loud, and the wife is sensitive to loud, out-of-tune noises (she has plenty of practice with these due to my instrument collection). I also have, when needed, a rubber and a metal full mute, which I occasionally use. 8)

Aug 4, 2021 - 7:17:02 AM
likes this

Earworm

USA

235 posts since 1/30/2018

How does she feel about loud, in-tune noises?

Aug 4, 2021 - 7:26:30 AM
likes this

DougD

USA

10296 posts since 12/2/2007
Online Now

I'm not sure but I think I recall Rich Maxham saying that those wire mutes were hard on the string winding and silking as they slide back forth.

Aug 4, 2021 - 10:04:09 AM
likes this

Swing

USA

2061 posts since 6/26/2007

Go with an electric violin and ear phones...

Play Happy

Swing

Aug 4, 2021 - 10:24:28 AM
like this

3127 posts since 6/21/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Earworm

How does she feel about loud, in-tune noises?


What are those?  I don't recall making very many of them on any of my instruments.  ( 80 )

Aug 4, 2021 - 10:27:20 AM

3127 posts since 6/21/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Swing

Go with an electric violin and ear phones...

Play Happy

Swing


Swing - at my age, no more investments in instruments (probably <grin>).  Plus, I had an electric guitar for 3 weeks back in the early 60's and didn't like it - no electrics for me, except for the couple of years I had my Dad's Thomas Electric Organ while he and Mother were on the road in their Airstream.

Aug 4, 2021 - 10:28:41 AM

3127 posts since 6/21/2007

quote:
Originally posted by DougD

I'm not sure but I think I recall Rich Maxham saying that those wire mutes were hard on the string winding and silking as they slide back forth.


I haven't had any problems so far, I usually leave it on the bridge or just behind it, so the silks are never encroached upon.

Aug 4, 2021 - 10:36:53 AM

14 posts since 7/11/2018

I have a wire mute, it is the best. Some times using twin magnets(one on each side of the bridge)works well.

Edited by - TPJ54 on 08/04/2021 10:38:26

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1445313