Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Jun 27, 2021 - 11:39:55 AM

421 posts since 7/31/2018

I never thought much about the actual quality of the sound post itself until last time a luthier friend replaced a sound post for me with a "better" one (as he said).

But, unfortunately, that fiddle sounds very loud, biting and harsh now. It used to be very sweet and not brash. It's so piercing (especially the note d on the A string), that I can't play it anymore.

I wonder how much of this is the placement of the sound post vs. the sound post itself.

Edited by - FiddlerPaul71 on 06/27/2021 11:40:09

Jun 27, 2021 - 1:19:38 PM

1974 posts since 8/27/2008

quote:
Originally posted by FiddlerPaul71

I never thought much about the actual quality of the sound post itself until last time a luthier friend replaced a sound post for me with a "better" one (as he said).

But, unfortunately, that fiddle sounds very loud, biting and harsh now. It used to be very sweet and not brash. It's so piercing (especially the note d on the A string), that I can't play it anymore.

I wonder how much of this is the placement of the sound post vs. the sound post itself.

I'd guess the former. You should work with a luthier to see if it can be improved

Jun 27, 2021 - 4:59:49 PM

5611 posts since 7/1/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleharp

While I'd love to follow your suggestions about standing back and letting somebody play my fiddle, that's pretty much impossible. You see, I was born under a curse with a heartbreaking handicap... I'm left-handed!
It's strung "backwards" and the bass bar is on the wrong side! The one and only person I've ever met who could pick up my fiddle and play it was a guy I met in Pensacola named Jerry. And that was back in 1985!

I don't know how long you've been playing, but it's possibly not too late to consider playing a normally-strung fiddle "over the bass" Among other things, it opens your range of choices tremendously. A goodly number of Missouri's most notable fiddlers  were lefty and played over the bass, including my personal heroes Cyril Stinnett and Jake Hockemeyer. Dwight Lamb, up in Iowa, still does. Here's an article Charlie Walden wrote.

Jun 27, 2021 - 6:13:03 PM

421 posts since 7/31/2018

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Wood
quote:
Originally posted by FiddlerPaul71

I'd guess the former. You should work with a luthier to see if it can be improved

That's my plan. I imagine it couldn't be too difficult to improve. The only thing changed from what it was before is the sound post. 

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories