%>
Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Nov 2, 2021 - 8:22:25 PM

513 posts since 7/18/2014

I was referring to a song, in that I would need the melody to write the lyrics to. I just went on to ramble about coming up with a melody.

Nov 2, 2021 - 8:44:18 PM
likes this

JonD

USA

116 posts since 2/12/2021

I never thought about which came first… now that I’m thinking about it, of the few songs I’ve written it seems to me the ‘hook’ of the melody and maybe the first line of the chorus just showed up at the same time. Then I would chase them along till the rest of the melody fell into place, with maybe more lyrics or maybe just humming it out. But anyway the hook and the theme of the lyrics came to light together somehow, or maybe the one suggested the other almost instantly. I hope I haven’t jinxed myself by examining the process. I’d like to write more, just haven’t for a long time….

Nov 2, 2021 - 9:20:33 PM
likes this

602 posts since 7/30/2021

farmerjones Ha, love it. People even started nodding their heads and clapping. :-) And it has a finale?!

My brain can not function that way.
( The composer of famous musical Hamilton - he said that he was reading the biography of Alexander Hamilton, and rap lyrics started coming into his mind. When I read the biography of Hamilton, I fall asleep...)

Nov 3, 2021 - 1:41:32 PM

2003 posts since 4/6/2014

The "Chords First" thing works with me if it is in common, cut common, or even 3/4 or 6/8 time. But it seems to me to be a bit of a broad brush if i need to get things "just right", or i need to use a weird time signature (or change time sigs). Then i have to get into the words, and even what is behind the words. For me the words don't have to be sung, but they do dictate the rhythm and nuances of a melody, even if they are not there in the final tune. They just form a "backbone" for a melody. The same as a dance rhythm forms a backbone for a dance tune.

Anyhoo.. What i reckon is, that Words form the backbone of a "Listening Tune" and Rhythm forms the backbone of a "Dancing Tune" and the words can be sung to either....Or not

Nov 3, 2021 - 2:21:07 PM

6016 posts since 9/26/2008

Words are the gold ring we reach for that can make or break a song.

Nov 3, 2021 - 4:16:42 PM
like this

2599 posts since 7/12/2013

I think for me it happens all sorts of ways, sometimes it's a melody fragment that I find after noodling around, sometimes it's a story idea that I want to turn into song. I find being able to play different instruments really helps my creativity. I'll often start off with a song framework, then try playing it on mandolin, then switch to guitar, then switch to banjo, and because I play them all differently they add/change the way I think about the song.

I've entered a handful of songs over the years in the Great American Song Writing competition and had a few place in the finalists, never actually won a category though. Here are two the last songs I wrote with my old band. What's sorta interesting is the first song, I wrote on an airplane without any instruments, but I had been listening to lots of Infamous Stringdusters, which is sorta why it kinda sounds like it. And of course none of these songs would be what they are without my band mates.

Edited by - fiddlinsteudel on 11/03/2021 16:21:48

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories