Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

136
Fiddle Lovers Online


May 6, 2021 - 11:10:30 AM
7 posts since 12/13/2020

Hello all,

I got an old no name fiddle off ebay not too long ago and it came with some cool old strings that are not made anymore. They have a very aggressive tone that i love, which reminds me of the tones you can hear in some of the old recordings of american fiddle music.

Thinking about the future, i know they will break. I’m trying to figure out a way to find similarly antique strings, or even better, some strings that are still being made today that can produce a similar tone.

Anyone have any suggestions?

May 6, 2021 - 11:14:19 AM

5577 posts since 7/1/2007

Describe the silking (winding) at the peg end the tailpiece end and the peg end. Probably ten people here will be able to answer.

May 6, 2021 - 11:36:34 AM

DougD

USA

10095 posts since 12/2/2007

What knd of strings are they?

May 6, 2021 - 12:38:20 PM

7 posts since 12/13/2020

DougD they are called “Manoda electrometal”

May 6, 2021 - 12:42:53 PM

7 posts since 12/13/2020

KCFiddles i’m trying to figure out how to post pics but i can’t hack it. The peg end has what looks like an aluminum ball end, and a tightly wound red silky encasing. The peg end has the same silky red wrap but with thin metal wire wrapping around that, which is more tightly wound at the ends of the silk. This is an E string.

May 6, 2021 - 12:45:05 PM

145 posts since 4/2/2019
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by DogNavarro

KCFiddles i’m trying to figure out how to post pics but i can’t hack it. The peg end has what looks like an aluminum ball end, and a tightly wound red silky encasing. The peg end has the same silky red wrap but with thin metal wire wrapping around that, which is more tightly wound at the ends of the silk. This is an E string.


https://www.violinstringreview.com/string-color-id.html

May 6, 2021 - 12:45:40 PM

7 posts since 12/13/2020

KCFiddles i think i just uploaded three pictures to the thread

May 6, 2021 - 1:01:31 PM

78 posts since 1/21/2017

How did you find out they were called “Manoda electrometal”?
I found some "Karuna Electrometal" strings online. They appear to be made in India. Maybe that's the secret to the tone we've all been seeking.

May 6, 2021 - 1:03:29 PM

5577 posts since 7/1/2007

I saw the pictures, and did some searches. The pics don't provide much that's dispositive. If you want aggressive tone, and don't want to spend much to start, try SupersSensitive Red Label to start, or D"Addario Preludes for about the same price. Preludes are warmer, and not a bad all-around fiddle string, IMHO. A lot of those "vintage" strings were pretty awful, and are deservedly no longer produced.

If you want a truly awful string, find someone who still has Black Diamond Fiddle Strings, (N719) in stock. Google is our friend, some days.

May 6, 2021 - 1:04:40 PM

DougD

USA

10095 posts since 12/2/2007

Dog - If you already know what brand they are then you don't need to research the silking colors. Plus I think the charts only include strings that are currently available.
I've certainly never heard of "Manoda electrometal" and even Google wasn't much help. The closest that came up were these: sabarimusicals.com/product/kar...-strings/
They're from India I think, but it says the materials are from the US and Germany, so maybe they're just repackaged. They look like standard steel core, nickel wound strings, except the D and G are round wound. Are those strings still on your instrument? If they're round wound, like a guitar string, then the closest might be Black Diamond, which are about the most rough and tumble string made today, and might have been used in the old days.
PS - I saw the photos too, but they didn't help much. If you want to actually include them in the thread, use the "attachment" function.

Edited by - DougD on 05/06/2021 13:09:53

May 6, 2021 - 1:06:38 PM

5577 posts since 7/1/2007

quote:
Originally posted by coryobert

How did you find out they were called “Manoda electrometal”?
I found some "Karuna Electrometal" strings online. They appear to be made in India. Maybe that's the secret to the tone we've all been seeking.


Click on the OP's username, and you'll see links to where he posted pics. Or just look at the column to the right headed "Newest Posts"

Edited by - KCFiddles on 05/06/2021 13:07:47

May 6, 2021 - 1:11:35 PM

DougD

USA

10095 posts since 12/2/2007

I forgot that if you edit a post, the links disappear. Here are the Karuna electrometal strings: sabarimusicals.com/product/kar...-strings/

May 6, 2021 - 1:15:35 PM

DougD

USA

10095 posts since 12/2/2007

PPS - I think those are really "Haruna" brand, not Karuna.

May 6, 2021 - 4:45:50 PM

7 posts since 12/13/2020

quote:
Originally posted by KCFiddles

I saw the pictures, and did some searches. The pics don't provide much that's dispositive. If you want aggressive tone, and don't want to spend much to start, try SupersSensitive Red Label to start, or D"Addario Preludes for about the same price. Preludes are warmer, and not a bad all-around fiddle string, IMHO. A lot of those "vintage" strings were pretty awful, and are deservedly no longer produced.

If you want a truly awful string, find someone who still has Black Diamond Fiddle Strings, (N719) in stock. Google is our friend, some days.


Honestly i think the reason i like these strings is because they are a combination of cheap and old. It has a really nice tone in my opinion. i will look into these Black Diamond strings. What does the N719 stand for?

May 6, 2021 - 7:26:18 PM

5577 posts since 7/1/2007

Just a part number/ stock number.Black Diamond had some other strings and having the number avoids confusion.They're discontinued anyway, as far as I know, but still available among distributors. 

I've been around a long time and work on fiddles professionally, have never seen that brand before, so I doubt you're very likely to find it. I buy a lot of old fiddles from the last 100+ years in the US, and recognize a lot of vintage brands, but I haven't seen that one yet.

Edited by - KCFiddles on 05/06/2021 19:31:11

May 7, 2021 - 10:38:39 AM

7 posts since 12/13/2020

quote:
Originally posted by KCFiddles

Just a part number/ stock number.Black Diamond had some other strings and having the number avoids confusion.They're discontinued anyway, as far as I know, but still available among distributors. 

I've been around a long time and work on fiddles professionally, have never seen that brand before, so I doubt you're very likely to find it. I buy a lot of old fiddles from the last 100+ years in the US, and recognize a lot of vintage brands, but I haven't seen that one yet.


I looked at another thread on this site where someone was demoing those black diamond strings. I really liked the sound and i ordered a set. Thanks so much for your help. I think maybe, because i listen mostly to the old hillbilly recordings, i got a taste for the sound of whatever cheap strings they were using and maybe thats why i like them so much. I read somewhere else that some of the old players actually used black diamond, which makes even more sense.

May 7, 2021 - 11:55:50 AM

5577 posts since 7/1/2007

When I was kid (@1955) that was all you could get that was affordable.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.171875