Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

142
Fiddle Lovers Online


Apr 30, 2021 - 9:41:44 PM
1321 posts since 7/26/2015

Anybody ever tried playing Henry Reed's "Billy in the Low Land" in C or J.D. Harris's "Grey Eagle" in A?

May 1, 2021 - 2:21:57 AM
likes this

1514 posts since 4/6/2014

i learned a BG sort of version of "Billy In The Lowground" in C, i thought that was the standard key to play it in?

Edited by - pete_fiddle on 05/01/2021 02:22:53

May 1, 2021 - 3:43:28 AM

501 posts since 9/1/2010

quote:
Originally posted by pete_fiddle

i learned a BG sort of version of "Billy In The Lowground" in C, i thought that was the standard key to play it in?


You are correct that "Billy In The Lowground" is typically played in C.  However, he is asking about Henry Reed's "Billy In The Low Land"....different tune and Henry played it in the key of G.

Here is the LOC recording.

https://www.loc.gov/item/afcreed000096/

May 1, 2021 - 4:09:06 AM
Players Union Member

carlb

USA

2313 posts since 2/2/2008

I play with a few folks who are partial to the key of C. However, the banjo players play D tunes which end up in C. So I can now play the following in C:
Arkansas Traveler
Peacock Rag
Chinese Breakdown
Paddy Won't You Drink Some Good Old Cider
Pig Ankle Rag
,
I also play Valley Forge in A, as Ramona Jones originally played it, as well as in D (whoever decided to change it from A to D).

May 1, 2021 - 2:41:08 PM

1321 posts since 7/26/2015

Oops. Uncle Am Stuart's "Grey Eagle" would probably work better in A than Harris's.
quote:
Originally posted by soppinthegravy

Anybody ever tried playing Henry Reed's "Billy in the Low Land" in C or J.D. Harris's "Grey Eagle" in A?


Edited by - soppinthegravy on 05/01/2021 14:41:32

May 1, 2021 - 3:04:49 PM

1321 posts since 7/26/2015

I'm just going to leave this on here for a while so y'all can hear what this idea sounds like. "Low Land" transposed with "Low Ground" chords. https://www.fiddlehangout.com/myhangout/media-player/audio_player2.asp?musicid=14362&archived= 
quote:
Originally posted by rosinhead
quote:
Originally posted by pete_fiddle

i learned a BG sort of version of "Billy In The Lowground" in C, i thought that was the standard key to play it in?


You are correct that "Billy In The Lowground" is typically played in C.  However, he is asking about Henry Reed's "Billy In The Low Land"....different tune and Henry played it in the key of G.

Here is the LOC recording.

https://www.loc.gov/item/afcreed000096/


Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.09375