Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

118
Fiddle Lovers Online


Apr 9, 2021 - 8:31:54 AM
138 posts since 4/2/2019
Online Now

When I started learning violin a few months ago, I cleaned off my violin top and fingerboard beneath the strings every day, not wanting rosin build up. I never did notice that I was getting any rosin, so I recently sort of stopped worrying about it as much. (I still clean off my strings after every session.)

Is some rosin more of a problem than others? Some fiddlers just have a big white section on the end of the fingerboard and under the strings! I’m playing about an hour a day, so I’d think after a week or two I’d see rosin on the fingerboard or body, but nothing.

Edited by - DougBrock on 04/09/2021 08:33:18

Apr 9, 2021 - 8:45:44 AM
like this

Snafu

USA

93 posts since 2/2/2014

What rosin are you using? I’m using Bakers and experience the same as you, some on the strings but little to none on the finger board and violin body itself. It mostly depends on how often one applies rosin I think. Some slather it on. In my experience a little goes a long way. I may apply rosin once or twice a month.

Apr 9, 2021 - 9:08:18 AM

138 posts since 4/2/2019
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by Snafu

What rosin are you using? I’m using Bakers and experience the same as you, some on the strings but little to none on the finger board and violin body itself. It mostly depends on how often one applies rosin I think. Some slather it on. In my experience a little goes a long way. I may apply rosin once or twice a month.


I've tried three different rosins, but am currently using (and happy with) Bernardel. I had some Tartini which was dark and very "grabby." I then tried some cheap Super-Sensivite, which was very light colored and light on the strings. The Bernardel is somewhere in the middle - not too grabby and not too light. I think I'll put some of the dark Tartini on a less-often-used bow just to have it for occasional comparison. I think some folks change rosins depending on the season, too. (And some folks combine rosins? Too complicated for me, lol.)

I rosin about once week - whenever the bow starts losing the "grab."

Edited by - DougBrock on 04/09/2021 09:15:15

Apr 9, 2021 - 10:28:17 AM

Swing

USA

2014 posts since 6/26/2007

It is better and easier to clean the rosin off daily than to try and remove the white stuff after it builds up.....

Play Happy

Swing

Apr 9, 2021 - 10:40:05 AM

138 posts since 4/2/2019
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by Swing

It is better and easier to clean the rosin off daily than to try and remove the white stuff after it builds up.....

Play Happy

Swing


Agreed, but just wondered why I wasn't getting any buildup in the first place?

Apr 9, 2021 - 11:03:26 AM

389 posts since 3/1/2020

quote:
Originally posted by DougBrock

Is some rosin more of a problem than others? Some fiddlers just have a big white section on the end of the fingerboard and under the strings!


Magic Rosin and Jade rosin are extremely messy and leave a lot more residue than other brands. They're a pain to clean off and they have a gummier consistency to them.

The big white mass of rosin is an old tradition with fiddlers, a sort of mark of distinction; the idea is that a player who is really active will have a lot of rosin built up. Some old classical players of the late 19th century left a lot of rosin on their violins as well. Eventually everyone realized how much damage that did to the varnish and the practice ceased to be commonplace.

Don't stop cleaning the rosin off! It'll save you a lot of money and frustration down the road. A quick cleaning with a dry cloth is all that's needed. 

Apr 9, 2021 - 11:12:54 AM

138 posts since 4/2/2019
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by The Violin Beautiful
quote:
Originally posted by DougBrock

Is some rosin more of a problem than others? Some fiddlers just have a big white section on the end of the fingerboard and under the strings!


Magic Rosin and Jade rosin are extremely messy and leave a lot more residue than other brands. They're a pain to clean off and they have a gummier consistency to them.

The big white mass of rosin is an old tradition with fiddlers, a sort of mark of distinction; the idea is that a player who is really active will have a lot of rosin built up. Some old classical players of the late 19th century left a lot of rosin on their violins as well. Eventually everyone realized how much damage that did to the varnish and the practice ceased to be commonplace.

Don't stop cleaning the rosin off! It'll save you a lot of money and frustration down the road. A quick cleaning with a dry cloth is all that's needed. 


Yep, I know that some folks love that white expanse of rosin, but I have no interest in allowing rosin buildup, so will clean up any that I might see. I'm still curious why I don't see ANY! :) I'm sure I don't play as hard as some folks (but I do lay into the bow sometimes. I have never broken any bow hair, though, so that's probably a sign that I'm not playing THAT hard) and I don't play as long as some folks, so maybe that's all it is.

Edited by - DougBrock on 04/09/2021 11:16:10

Apr 9, 2021 - 1:29:45 PM
likes this

LukeF

USA

87 posts since 10/15/2019

Doug:

You may find this article helpful. Here's the link: codabow.com/blogs/news/how-to-...=hs_email


Apr 9, 2021 - 6:15:38 PM
likes this

5117 posts since 9/26/2008

Not all rosin leave a mess, simple as that.

When I started playing, I probably (definitely) over rosined and used a very dusty rosin. Now, I use a rosin that leaves very little noticeable dust AND I rosin the bow much less often.

Apr 10, 2021 - 6:11:30 PM
likes this

9054 posts since 3/19/2009

My observation, and I'm usually wrong, is that if you apply a Lot of rosin, often, you'll get a quicker thicker buildup...Don't over apply, and clean your instrument when you see even a little buildup and you should be fine.. I haven't read all comments, but some fiddler actually LIKE the look of rosin buildup..!!! go figure.. 'no accounting for taste'!!!

Apr 10, 2021 - 11:26:59 PM
likes this

389 posts since 3/1/2020

quote:
Originally posted by LukeF

Doug:

You may find this article helpful. Here's the link: codabow.com/blogs/news/how-to-...=hs_email


There's some decent info in that article, except for the recommendation that you score the surface of the rosin. That's an old myth and it's completely unnecessary. 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.140625