Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Jan 21, 2021 - 5:39:50 AM

8933 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by goatberry_jam

For an Old Time fiddler like me a pencil works just as well.. I usually only use short bowstrokes!!!

I'm intrigued by this. You draw the strings with a pencil? Which way does the eraser point?

I would guess this can be hard on the strings!

Just pretend that the pencil is a tiny bow.. The paint on the pencil won't let the strings make much noise ..I use a pencil often when I want to work out finger/bowing patterns where sound is not the important thing.  When I want to work on sound, naturally, I'll wait until I can use a real bow......I don't always have a bow by my computer so if I'm looking at music online, I'll just grab Anything for a moment to get the issue done.

Jan 21, 2021 - 2:12:23 PM

132 posts since 9/17/2017

I'm gonna throw this out there as an junior fiddler; I have an old bow that most of the time makes almost no sound. It makes enough that I can hear the notes but my wife can only hear a little string noise if she is in the same room. I should call it my wife bow maybe. Sometimes it will make a kinda irritating squeaky sound if the humidity is right. Of course I never rosin it and clean the rosin off my strings if its squeaking. Works for me... and her

Jan 21, 2021 - 2:22:34 PM

1743 posts since 12/11/2008
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by indianajones

I'm gonna throw this out there as an junior fiddler; I have an old bow that most of the time makes almost no sound. It makes enough that I can hear the notes but my wife can only hear a little string noise if she is in the same room. I should call it my wife bow maybe. Sometimes it will make a kinda irritating squeaky sound if the humidity is right. Of course I never rosin it and clean the rosin off my strings if its squeaking. Works for me... and her

My cheap, thrown-in-with-a-fiddle-purchase bow does indeed draw considerably less volume from the fiddle than my better bows.  A bow with next-to-no rosin quiets the fiddle down, too.  But if you don't use any rosin at all, chances are decent you'll only generate squeaks and hisses.

Jan 21, 2021 - 2:45:06 PM

I was hesitant to post this because I don't know why this bow is quiet. As I said, sometimes it does squeak but it is very old. I wonder if the hairs are worn out and smooth?

Jan 22, 2021 - 3:42:46 AM

5016 posts since 9/26/2008

quote:

I was hesitant to post this because I don't know why this bow is quiet. As I said, sometimes it does squeak but it is very old. I wonder if the hairs are worn out and smooth?

Or if it is dirty. It only takes one dirty hand to create a silent spot on a bow, and if it is dirty enough, that will soon transfer to the whole length. 

Edited by - ChickenMan on 01/22/2021 03:42:59

Jan 22, 2021 - 5:51:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan
quote:

Or if it is dirty. It only takes one dirty hand to create a silent spot on a bow, and if it is dirty enough, that will soon transfer to the whole length.

I have never cleaned it.  Maybe oil from skin?  I think there might be some disagreement about the horse hairs wearing out.  In any case, it works for me to practice quietly without losing the feel of the bow or dinking with mutes.

Jan 22, 2021 - 12:57:18 PM

2653 posts since 9/13/2009

quote:

I wonder if the hairs are worn out and smooth?

No, that's a myth.

Rosin sticks to hair because of a bond forming between the 2. 
As Chickenman stated, dirt and oils get in the way of bonding ability.

edit to add: One of the problems with over rosining, the nature of rosin, sticky  attraction... also attracts dirt, and any particulates in the air, creates a bit of layers of dirt/rosin, which makes cyclical trying to add new rosin to, or on top of that. As long as there is still plenty of hair, and they are not stretched, gentle cleaning works fine to restore.

Edited by - alaskafiddler on 01/22/2021 13:08:04

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories