Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  2   3   4  5

Jul 24, 2020 - 2:08:11 PM

4823 posts since 9/26/2008

angelWhat was the topic again?

Jul 24, 2020 - 3:06:46 PM
likes this

2039 posts since 10/22/2007

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan

What is the coconut hauling capacity of a laden swollow? 

Jul 24, 2020 - 6:13:49 PM
like this
Players Union Member

boxbow

USA

2564 posts since 2/3/2011

quote:
Originally posted by farmerjones
quote:

What is the coconut hauling capacity of a laden swollow? 

African or European? 

(Did I get those right?)

Jul 24, 2020 - 6:21:32 PM

2039 posts since 10/22/2007

YES ! !

laugh

Jul 25, 2020 - 5:33:44 AM
like this

Peghead

USA

1576 posts since 1/21/2009

quote:
Originally posted by tonyelder

I learn tunes by playing along with a recording that has a particular appeal to me. How is that process different from learning a tune while playing with others at a jam session? Or just doing your best to remember what you heard – somewhere… 

The only thing I can think of is that a recording will always play a tune the exact same way, a jam session or live performance will usually always have (at best) slight variations .

So, what is my goal with using the recording? …to be able to play the tune exactly as it was recorded? Yes and no.

Yes, in that the “thing” that attracted me to the recording of that tune is the focus of my learning attention. I will give my effort to that task. But…

No, in that I know that I will never be able to reproduce anything anyone plays exactly. I not only accept that truth, I embrace it. I would prefer to be able to play endless variations of what I am learning from a source – a source that will never play any variations from what is recorded. I am confident that – given time and effort – I can produce a sound that will be “musically acceptable” as an approximate expression that satisfies the desire I had for learning the tune I heard.

The benefit of learning from a recording?  The jam or live performances - most of the time - will not have the same kind of learning appeal as a favorite recording.  Or - at best - will not be available for study later.

What have I been missing by learning from recordings?

Sorry Tony, I've been contributing to subject drift without even answering your question! I too learn tunes from CD's and recordings I've made walking around at festivals. It's almost always  the players  interpretation of the tune that inspires me. Some tunes however, are just great no matter who or where. A great tune and a good player is the bomb. It's interesting that when I refer back to old source recordings I'm often less than impressed. It's amazing how some players can extract something from that raw material and make it shine in way I never imagined. If I like a tune I try to capture it exactly as I hear it  - the whole deal, notes, bowing, tempo.  I've stopped worrying about trying to be an original. In my opinion there's no doubt that learning is most efficiently done from recordings (from a convenience and technical point of view) but that's not the whole package, playing in the group is a needed skill. Technology (especially visual tuners!) has raised the level of playing across all levels and instruments. Before all these recording devices learning face to face was the only way and with that came a lot of good people stuff. Something gained, something lost. It's not one stop shopping, (at least for me) anymore. In my experience, jams are not the best place to learn tunes unless that's understood going in. Time is precious. I wouldn't ask someone at a jam for a tutorial. I take out the digital tune sucker and learn it at home on my own time. Jams however are great place to be introduced to new tunes and to experience the pulse and momentum of the group and  of course the social connections. Being inside a bubble of live sound is really a rush especially with a good bass player! You can turn your speakers up to 11 but it's not the same. I wish I had more time to play live with others, the festivals are a great outlet but given the circumstances now it's just me and my digital friends. So, no I don't think you're missing anything, you're actually doing the hard part, Get to the jams when you can, they solidify what you've learned and of course meet the folks. 

Edited by - Peghead on 07/25/2020 05:57:34

Jul 25, 2020 - 6:46:34 AM
likes this

4823 posts since 9/26/2008

Perfect response, Greg. I’ve been neglecting my digital memories lately and just this week gathered them in on place for reminiscing/learning. This weekend is the hottest so far this year so I’m indoors. After chores, “It’s fiddlin’ time!”*

*with apologies to The Thing

Jul 25, 2020 - 8:14:31 AM

5799 posts since 8/7/2009

quote:

Perfect response, Greg. 

+1

Aug 8, 2020 - 9:11:36 PM

530 posts since 8/10/2017

Our jam has started meeting again. We play outdoors in a park and sit far apart and wear masks. We're allowed to have up to 10 people, according to the park ranger. If we get more we're supposed to form a second group. It's been a little bit difficult because we're sitting far apart so everybody is playing really quiet trying to hear each other. A lot of our better players aren't coming so it's filled with beginners. But we don't want our jam to die. It's been going for 35 or 40 years so we're trying to keep it going.

The Irish session is similar. We play in somebody's driveway sitting far apart wearing masks. Nobody is allowed to go inside to use the bathroom. Some people will refuse to sit anywhere near the flute and whistle players because they can't wear masks. The neighbors will come out and sit in their front yards and listen. The session has been small but it has also been better for making recordings to take home and learn from because there's no ambient bar noise.

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  2   3   4  5

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories