Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

86
Fiddle Lovers Online


Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!
Jun 29, 2020 - 6:30:30 AM
5 posts since 6/29/2020

I'm a complete noob at fiddle. I got offered a junky fiddle one day for free, and couldn't say no to that offer! I'm already well acquainted with old time music as I mainly play frailing banjo. I recently bust a string, and I'm curious as to what strings would you all recommend for a beginner fiddler?

Jun 29, 2020 - 7:24:08 AM
likes this

281 posts since 6/21/2007

Well, first of all you should replace all the strings. Second, if you’re a banjo player with no fiddle experience you’re in for some sticker shock when you buy violin strings. But on the other hand they will last you six months to a year depending on how much you play a day. A good starting set would be the D’addario prelude strings. Good luck!

Jun 29, 2020 - 9:38:25 AM
like this

4842 posts since 9/26/2008

Prim strings do the trick for me. About $30-32. Should last a couple of years if you are not too particular :-)

Jun 29, 2020 - 1:20:09 PM

1658 posts since 12/11/2008

I enjoy Chromcor, but Prims seem to be the first choice among the OT fiddlers I know.

Jun 29, 2020 - 2:06:13 PM

WyoBob

USA

128 posts since 5/16/2019

I was where you are 10 months ago:  Clawhammer banjo, old time music, given a free fiddle.   I spent a lot of time going through the Hangout archives learning all I could about fiddle stuff especially strings.

My first good fiddle (new) had Prelude strings and they represent a good value at around $16.00 (in this country).  I've tried the "Fiddlerman" and "Helicore mediums (the "A" string "gave it up" after 4 months)  and  the Prim's work much better for me and are on my two fiddles.  At around $26.00/set (from Southwest strings with free shipping in the USA), I think they are an outstanding value.  From what I've read, they're tough as nails and seem to last a long time for most folks.  I like the sound and feel of the Prims and don't see myself changing to anything else.

Jun 29, 2020 - 3:00:20 PM

BanjoJoeFitz

Canada

5 posts since 6/29/2020

quote:
Originally posted by stumpkicker

Well, first of all you should replace all the strings. Second, if you’re a banjo player with no fiddle experience you’re in for some sticker shock when you buy violin strings. But on the other hand they will last you six months to a year depending on how much you play a day. A good starting set would be the D’addario prelude strings. Good luck!


I'm forced to change strings currently as my E string burst. I also play bass, $50 for four decent roundwound strings! I spend ~$15 a month on banjo strings, so $32 (the price of preludes in Canada) for up to a year ain't too bad!

Jun 29, 2020 - 3:01:03 PM

BanjoJoeFitz

Canada

5 posts since 6/29/2020

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan

Prim strings do the trick for me. About $30-32. Should last a couple of years if you are not too particular :-)


What are these "Prim strings" you speak of? Is Prim the band? I'm used to the generic D'Addario and Ernie Ball haha

Jun 29, 2020 - 3:46:02 PM
like this

1658 posts since 12/11/2008

Prim Strings. Made in Sweden since 1943...thank you very much!! You're welcome!

Jun 29, 2020 - 4:16:02 PM

2048 posts since 10/22/2007

Yep. If yer just going to try it out, Preludes, are good solid core, less expensive.
Prim are better/brighter, long LONG last, but they'll cost more.
I could rattle off reviews of a bunch of other brands (do a search) but . . . . I'm feeling lazy.

Jun 29, 2020 - 5:25:40 PM

BanjoJoeFitz

Canada

5 posts since 6/29/2020

quote:
Originally posted by farmerjones

Yep. If yer just going to try it out, Preludes, are good solid core, less expensive.
Prim are better/brighter, long LONG last, but they'll cost more.
I could rattle off reviews of a bunch of other brands (do a search) but . . . . I'm feeling lazy.


Think I'm going to go with the preludes as they're cheaper and I'm really trying not to break the bank. Trying to fund a banjo upgrade first as that's what I mainly play, and I don't even know if I'll be able to take fiddle lessons (that's the hope)

Jun 29, 2020 - 6:57:53 PM

2048 posts since 10/22/2007

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoJoeFitz
quote:
Originally posted by farmerjones

Yep. If yer just going to try it out, Preludes, are good solid core, less expensive.
Prim are better/brighter, long LONG last, but they'll cost more.
I could rattle off reviews of a bunch of other brands (do a search) but . . . . I'm feeling lazy.


Think I'm going to go with the preludes as they're cheaper and I'm really trying not to break the bank. Trying to fund a banjo upgrade first as that's what I mainly play, and I don't even know if I'll be able to take fiddle lessons (that's the hope)


Cool. Btw, what are you aiming for, banjer-wise? 

Jun 29, 2020 - 7:03:08 PM

BanjoJoeFitz

Canada

5 posts since 6/29/2020

quote:
Originally posted by farmerjones
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoJoeFitz
quote:
Originally posted by farmerjones

Yep. If yer just going to try it out, Preludes, are good solid core, less expensive.
Prim are better/brighter, long LONG last, but they'll cost more.
I could rattle off reviews of a bunch of other brands (do a search) but . . . . I'm feeling lazy.


Think I'm going to go with the preludes as they're cheaper and I'm really trying not to break the bank. Trying to fund a banjo upgrade first as that's what I mainly play, and I don't even know if I'll be able to take fiddle lessons (that's the hope)


Cool. Btw, what are you aiming for, banjer-wise? 


I had hoped to be able to get a fretless tackhead from a dealer in the states, but he no longer ships to Canada. Currently it looks like I'm either going for a Washburn or the Deering Goodtime Americana. Sadly the banjo scene here in Newfoundland isn't that big, so I don't have that many options unless I want to get the instrument shipped.

Jun 29, 2020 - 7:38:02 PM
likes this

2048 posts since 10/22/2007

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoJoeFitz
quote:
Originally posted by farmerjones
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoJoeFitz
quote:
Originally posted by farmerjones

Yep. If yer just going to try it out, Preludes, are good solid core, less expensive.
Prim are better/brighter, long LONG last, but they'll cost more.
I could rattle off reviews of a bunch of other brands (do a search) but . . . . I'm feeling lazy.


Think I'm going to go with the preludes as they're cheaper and I'm really trying not to break the bank. Trying to fund a banjo upgrade first as that's what I mainly play, and I don't even know if I'll be able to take fiddle lessons (that's the hope)


Cool. Btw, what are you aiming for, banjer-wise? 


I had hoped to be able to get a fretless tackhead from a dealer in the states, but he no longer ships to Canada. Currently it looks like I'm either going for a Washburn or the Deering Goodtime Americana. Sadly the banjo scene here in Newfoundland isn't that big, so I don't have that many options unless I want to get the instrument shipped.


Yes, i live in a rural area. So i buy much stuff online. Research is time well spent and a good return policy has much value as well. I learned much over on the sister forum Banjer Hangout. Best of Luck! FJ 

Jun 30, 2020 - 4:15:54 AM
likes this

485 posts since 9/1/2010

Prim Medium.

Jun 30, 2020 - 4:27:18 AM
like this
Players Union Member

boxbow

USA

2564 posts since 2/3/2011

I had good luck with Jargar heavies, better luck with the Preludes and the best luck with Prims. I just tried a set of Prim Orchestra on my fussiest fiddle. In the past I've had Prim mediums and loved them. The orchestra (means heavy gauge, I think) windings have a rough texture that tries to grab at my fingers, but I seem to be getting used to it.

Jul 1, 2020 - 2:23:32 PM
likes this

281 posts since 6/21/2007

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoJoeFitz
quote:
Originally posted by stumpkicker

Well, first of all you should replace all the strings. Second, if you’re a banjo player with no fiddle experience you’re in for some sticker shock when you buy violin strings. But on the other hand they will last you six months to a year depending on how much you play a day. A good starting set would be the D’addario prelude strings. Good luck!

 


I'm forced to change strings currently as my E string burst. I also play bass, $50 for four decent roundwound strings! I spend ~$15 a month on banjo strings, so $32 (the price of preludes in Canada) for up to a year ain't too bad!


$15 a month on banjo strings? My experience has been that a$5 set should last 3 months easily.

Edited by - stumpkicker on 07/01/2020 14:26:02

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1738281