Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

Mar 25, 2020 - 10:52:10 PM

Tyler94

USA

81 posts since 7/21/2019

Some fiddles also tend to break strings more. It may be the nut or something else but it's definitely something I've noticed. I would assume that it's a nut problem on the backup one I have but the strings always break where fingered, not where they contact the nut...who knows...YMMV

May 2, 2020 - 8:38:53 AM

Earworm

USA

130 posts since 1/30/2018

I have some helicores on order (instead of my usual chromcors) for both of my main fiddles now. I suppose I have you all to thank for making me think about this much too much smiley ... I figure it's a low risk gamble though, so long as they make a noise.

Edited by - Earworm on 05/02/2020 08:39:57

May 2, 2020 - 12:05:03 PM

WyoBob

USA

128 posts since 5/16/2019

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler94

Some fiddles also tend to break strings more. It may be the nut or something else but it's definitely something I've noticed. I would assume that it's a nut problem on the backup one I have but the strings always break where fingered, not where they contact the nut...who knows...YMMV

What brand of strings and which string are breaking?

May 2, 2020 - 1:18:55 PM

4837 posts since 9/26/2008

If it's the nut, they break at the nut. Likewise at the bridge.
Might it be the fingerboard?

May 2, 2020 - 3:54:28 PM

Tyler94

USA

81 posts since 7/21/2019

quote:
Originally posted by WyoBob
quote:

Both Dominants and Helicores did it. D string usually. Helicores are known to randomly snap for certain people but that's usually the A string.

May 2, 2020 - 4:57:35 PM

WyoBob

USA

128 posts since 5/16/2019

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WyoBob
quote:

Both Dominants and Helicores did it. D string usually. Helicores are known to randomly snap for certain people but that's usually the A string.

I just had a Helicore "A" start acting wonky.  Slow to change pitch when turning the fine tuners and not staying in tune.   This is after 4 months.   No torn windings or breaking.

I replaced it with another A (Prelude?) and that solved the problem.  Shortly after that, I put Prims on that fiddle.   The new fiddle has Helicores on it.  I'll see how long they last.  I like the Helicores but don't want to fight the strings.  From what I've read, Prims are pretty bullet proof.   I'll probably leave them on the Kennedy fiddle and try to stay with the Heli's on the new fiddle.

May 2, 2020 - 7:22:22 PM

2044 posts since 10/22/2007
Online Now

I was griping on here once about p.o.s. helicores, etc. Don't last. Had one break. Somebody told me to try the Heavies instead of the more available Mediums. Never did. Like i said, at the time they were hard to find. Some think they're the cat's pajamas. Nobody's mentioned Evah's yet. I recon them to be the best, but at the time, they were quite expensive. Wouldn't know, anymore.

May 2, 2020 - 9:21:31 PM

1655 posts since 12/11/2008

I think I've only had two or three strings outright break in my fiddling lifetime, a good deal of which has had me having three fiddles. Probably two of the three times happened when I was tuning up to Cross A, or just stupidly over-twisting a peg. I don't think I've ever had one just bang on its own accord. This includes synthetic strings. Is it just a case of bad luck? Is it a problem with the fiddle's set up? On the other hand, I've rubbed off my share of windings on A strings.

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories