Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2

Jan 9, 2020 - 2:51 AM

Hector

UK

17 posts since 11/1/2018

I tried the "sling thing" and it's working great along with a fairly standard shoulder rest. The demo on youtube involves passing the cord under the bowing arm and I found that restricting. Instead I'm just putting it round my neck and as long as I'm wearing a shirt with a collar I can hardly feel a thing. The other thing which helps to stop my fiddle slipping is not to sight read! I started out learning classical violin and I find that following the music score is a hard habit to break. But it's when I'm staring at the page that the fiddle begins to slip. Maybe I need new glasses.

Jan 9, 2020 - 7:37:34 AM
likes this

Old Scratch

Canada

612 posts since 6/22/2016

No! Stay away from the sheet music - and save on glasses.

Jan 9, 2020 - 7:10:24 PM
Players Union Member

boxbow

USA

2564 posts since 2/3/2011

quote:
Originally posted by Hector

...The other thing which helps to stop my fiddle slipping is not to sight read! I started out learning classical violin and I find that following the music score is a hard habit to break. But it's when I'm staring at the page that the fiddle begins to slip. Maybe I need new glasses.

My overall body tension increases and my neck alignment changes when I sight read.  I start fighting myself.  Since I know this happens, I use the sight reading to study tunes.  Virtually all of my playing and practice is by ear.  The fiddle seems easier to manage then I think because that's all I'm doing.  And sometimes a fiddle just wants to be a watermelon seed.  I don't use any shoulder rest.

Mar 9, 2020 - 12:38:15 PM

Loup

Australia

110 posts since 11/24/2012

I thank you all who shared your views with regard to shoulder rests.This has been my problem for some time .I find that the Kun as with the Wolf also,do not give me the required comfort that I am searching for.The mentioned and highly recommended brands mentioned in this topic,are not available as far as I know here in Sydney Australia.I would appreciate anyone sending me the address of any outlet in your neck of the woods,to order from.Thanks for any help .

Mar 9, 2020 - 7:33:43 PM

LukeF

USA

59 posts since 10/15/2019

Does Australia have amazon.com? Have you tried amazon.com?

Mar 10, 2020 - 7:00:25 AM

1240 posts since 10/13/2010

quote:
Originally posted by Loup

I thank you all who shared your views with regard to shoulder rests.This has been my problem for some time .I find that the Kun as with the Wolf also,do not give me the required comfort that I am searching for.The mentioned and highly recommended brands mentioned in this topic,are not available as far as I know here in Sydney Australia.I would appreciate anyone sending me the address of any outlet in your neck of the woods,to order from.Thanks for any help .

I've done business with both of these, bought my Kuhn from Quinn which is local to me.

https://www.sharmusic.com

https://www.quinnviolins.com

Mar 10, 2020 - 2:57:23 PM

Loup

Australia

110 posts since 11/24/2012

quote:
Originally posted by martynspeck
quote:
Originally posted by Loup

I've done business with both of these, bought my Kuhn from Quinn which is local to me.

https://www.sharmusic.comThanks Marty, I'll look them up.

https://www.quinnviolins.com

Sep 5, 2020 - 10:41:43 AM

BetteB

USA

111 posts since 12/19/2010

Also consider your chin rest. I have a long neck, so that has made all the difference for me to find a higher chin rest. I use a Kuhn, it seems ok but after reading these posts I might try something else. The Kun may be too high for some people.

There is a sponge type of shoulder rest - it just sits under your fiddle with no attachment, and gives stability so your instrument doesn't slip while you play.

Sep 5, 2020 - 2:13:23 PM

542 posts since 8/10/2017

I played for a long time without any kind of shoulder rest but after a while my left index finger would get weird nerve pains so now I just use the one that came with my first violin. I can't really recommend it. It's utilitarian.

Look at the elaborate thing Miss Moonshine's got going though.
youtube.com/watch?v=R0vVQ8tiYiM

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories