Fiddle Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Oct 28, 2019 - 8:58:52 AM
likes this

bsed

USA

4125 posts since 6/23/2007

Here's mine:

Some years ago we were at Gilman in central Ill. having a jam. Probably 2013 or 2012. (Lee, I think you were in this jam I'm going to talk about here.) I led off Road To Westfield. Everybody did a super job on it! It was a 'kicking' jam. At the end of the tune one of the fiddlers (she's a member here) commented to me "That's just how Garry would have bowed it". I have always remembered that comment, because it was one of the best compliments I've ever received!

Oct 28, 2019 - 9:35:54 AM

9033 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by bsed

Here's mine:

Some years ago we were at Gilman in central Ill. having a jam. Probably 2013 or 2012. (Lee, I think you were in this jam I'm going to talk about here.) I led off Road To Westfield. Everybody did a super job on it! It was a 'kicking' jam. At the end of the tune one of the fiddlers (she's a member here) commented to me "That's just how Garry would have bowed it". I have always remembered that comment, because it was one of the best compliments I've ever received!

His daughter may have attended that jam..!! She would have known, and yes it would have been a great compliment. Road To Westfield is my absolute favorite of all of his tunes.  I play it often.

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 10/28/2019 09:36:38

Oct 28, 2019 - 11:01:59 AM
likes this

bsed

USA

I don't think Genevieve was there. I'd have been real nervous playing one of her dad's tunes in front of her.

Oct 28, 2019 - 1:12:05 PM

In listening to the slowed down tunes I'm noticing just how clearly he is playing at full speed...Impressive..His ability to do that is one reason he is one of the 'big boys' and I'm still a 'hacker'...I'd rename myself 'Humble by his Instrument", but that name is already taken..wink Maybe I should go from Tuneweaver to  Humbled by the Big Boys.cheeky

Oct 28, 2019 - 1:39:03 PM
likes this

bsed

USA

A concession. I went through the chords today, played along with Garry. Yes, it's in D. And I see what ricepaper was saying about leaving both parts unresolved (since they end on an A chord). 

Oct 28, 2019 - 1:42:21 PM

quote:

A concession. I went through the chords today, played along with Garry. Yes, it's in D. And I see what ricepaper was saying about leaving both parts unresolved (since they end on an A chord). 

Not everybody can 'eat crow' as well as you, Bruce..!!heart

Oct 29, 2019 - 9:26:29 AM
likes this

bsed

USA

If I hold other people to a standard of behavior, then I gots to meet that bar myself, I does.

Enough chatter. I gotta go play Round Barn now.

Edited by - bsed on 10/29/2019 09:27:37

Oct 29, 2019 - 1:08:29 PM

SInce we are on the subject.. Garry's tunes are copyrighted... There are no formal collections of transcriptions of his tunes... How does a copyright affect making/distributing transcriptions??

Oct 29, 2019 - 1:24:20 PM

Tyler94

USA

81 posts since 7/21/2019

There are several free transcriptions of Dull Chisel on the web. They say "by Garry Harrison" on them but they don't say it's copyrighted. Maybe they should? Either way, the distribution of the transcriptions should be unrestricted so long as you're not profitting from them.

Oct 30, 2019 - 9:07:01 AM

Hey, I've decided to learn ALL of the tunes on the CD, Red Prairie Dawn... I was looking today at the Hangout Media tunes.Nice Jail Break  tune posted ... It turns out that the A tune Jail Break, can be played on just the A and E strings..I love two string tunes.. This'll be easy to jump to the low AE set of strings and it can easily be played in D or G in standard tuning.. Lots of potential..
Hay Mow, and 'Ol BOb transcriptions are available on the Tater Joe website..which by the way is a great resource site...http://www.taterjoes.com/fiddle/index.html

Edited by - TuneWeaver on 10/30/2019 09:08:12

Jan 19, 2020 - 6:31:17 AM

bsed

USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POAsRlpmsyo&feature=youtu.be

This is where I'm at on playing Round Barn. I might try it in a jam next time we're in D.

How's it sound, Lee?

Jan 19, 2020 - 9:07:14 AM

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POAsRlpmsyo&feature=youtu.be

This is where I'm at on playing Round Barn. I might try it in a jam next time we're in D.

How's it sound, Lee?

Pretty good sounding, Bruce .. You might need some work of the first few phrases of the second part, but you Definitely are close!!!smiley

Sep 29, 2020 - 9:10:02 AM

1879 posts since 8/27/2008

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver

I want to add..I had the pleasure of jamming with Garry at least 50 times..

Somehow I missed this thread about Garry Harrison until the other day. Must have been during my sabbatical. A few years ago I was introduce to "Dull Chisel" at a jam at a fiddle festival in Cloverdale, CA. In the back of my mind I meant to find recordings of it to learn better, and I finally did. This opened me up to his wonderful tunes and playing. How had I missed him until now?

I don't know how successful you were at finding transcriptions. I will probably eventually do some. "Jailbreak", "Red Prairie Dawn", "Steam Machine", "Round Barn"? I have transcribed "Dull Chisel" but it's a version from "The Foghorn Stringband". Good, but not Garry's. I envy your association with him.

Sep 29, 2020 - 9:43:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Wood
quote:

Somehow I missed this thread about Garry Harrison until the other day. Must have been during my sabbatical. A few years ago I was introduce to "Dull Chisel" at a jam at a fiddle festival in Cloverdale, CA. In the back of my mind I meant to find recordings of it to learn better, and I finally did. This opened me up to his wonderful tunes and playing. How had I missed him until now?

I don't know how successful you were at finding transcriptions. I will probably eventually do some. "Jailbreak", "Red Prairie Dawn", "Steam Machine", "Round Barn"? I have transcribed "Dull Chisel" but it's a version from "The Foghorn Stringband". Good, but not Garry's. I envy your association with him.

Just TODAY, I've been learning Pride Of America, ... Garry's daughter, Genevive actually has a CD with that title.. Garry made the tune popular.....The tune goes back PRE Civil War.. My favorite of his tunes is Road To Westfield, in cross A..

Sep 29, 2020 - 9:54:08 AM

A few days ago, someone on Facebook posted that they missed his playing.. I posted that I missed GARRY.. He was always a 'gentleman'..kind and approachable..

Sep 29, 2020 - 1:01 PM
likes this

1489 posts since 4/6/2014

Thanks for turning me on to his fiddling, don't know what it is about it, but i like it a lot, just been listening to some tracks here

http://Creek Delta Boys

...hope it's the same guy you're talking about...

Oct 2, 2020 - 2:01:29 PM
likes this

bsed

USA

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Wood
quote:

My favorite of his tunes is Road To Westfield, in cross A..

I love playing that tune!

Oct 2, 2020 - 2:59:03 PM
likes this

I just finished transcribing "Jail Break" today. I didn't mean to do that one first but it got stuck in my head. I might finesse the notation of the ornaments a little before posting it. I haven't actually played it much yet. I'll be transcribing at least a couple more and learning them. They'll go on fiddletunes.net.

Oct 23, 2020 - 3:17:05 PM
like this

quote:

No. As far as I can tell, they don't exist. I contacted one of Garry's relatives today asking about transcriptions to the tunes on the CD, Red Prairie Dawn.. and he is not aware of any .. Most of the tunes on the CD I can or Have already learned by ear from the recordings but one in particular, Round Barn.. is giving me trouble.. I don't suppose that one of you more talented musicians could make a transcriptions of it????

I've done Road To Westfield, Round Barn, Steam Machine, Jailbreak, and Dull Chisel so far, and put them on fiddletunes.net. Don't know if you're still looking for Round Barn or not. Now I have to learn them.

Oct 27, 2020 - 3:10:39 PM

bsed

USA

Ya mean ya don't have to learn 'em before ya transcribe 'em?

Oct 27, 2020 - 3:54:39 PM
likes this

quote:

Ya mean ya don't have to learn 'em before ya transcribe 'em?

No, not really. I transcribe tunes I want to learn. Then I can work from the transcripts to memorize the details. I guess most players don't do that and therefore don't understand the process. Making a transcript is fairly mechanical. That's because I'm not transcribing from my head. I'm transcribing from listening to someone's recording slowed down, a bar or two at a time. Computer helps a lot.

Edited by - Brian Wood on 10/27/2020 15:55:29

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories