Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2

Aug 14, 2019 - 5:41:39 AM

1215 posts since 4/6/2014

i've given up trying to make a "new" tune..i dont seem to be able to keep it simple and memorable enough, so i just mess around with old ones, and try to find out what makes them sound good...maybe one day i'll mess around enough that it turns into a new tune?

Been messing with an "Irish style" Garfield's BB, and an "O/T style" Merry Blacksmith this morning......Frankentunes... i suppose it keeps me from doing anything useful though.... it truly is the Devils instrument.

Aug 14, 2019 - 10:10:54 AM
likes this

Old Scratch

Canada

418 posts since 6/22/2016
Online Now

@ChickenMan Sounds like a great tune to me!

Aug 14, 2019 - 4:25:49 PM
like this

1598 posts since 10/22/2007

Sure! Do it all the time. A part of this tune and the B part of that tune. . . Bang Zoom, new tune! (Drives folks Crazy)

Then my second method of composition, is to play a tune I don't know very well, filling in the gaps or just skipping over them.. . . and Bob's yer Uncle, another new tune! (Drives folks equally Crazy)

Thing is, i know darn well that's how a lot of tunes got "written." Maybe i shouldn't name them. Like Hell Amungst the Yellow Poplars, or Greenback River.

Waltzes to me are the easiest. They kind of make themselves. There's only so much that can fit in a waltz. Hook, repeat, turn around, resolve. If they're still dancing, do it again. "What's the name of that one?" "That ones called the Throw Away Waltz."

Edited by - farmerjones on 08/14/2019 16:28:01

Aug 14, 2019 - 7:41:29 PM
like this

230 posts since 7/18/2014

I like to tinker with writing. I’ve written several and posted a couple. For a few seconds, my wife thinks I’m really something when I’m posting a tune that I wrote onto the World Wide Web. That’s good enough for me.

Even though you may have written a tune, you still have to learn to play it. That’s kind of where I’m at with this little tune, with my usual C minus playing, and also working on some variations. It’s not an old time tune but it’s a tune that sounds old, to me anyway. I named it “The Bridge at Clarendon”. (an old bridge local to my area, on the slate for destruction)

Aug 15, 2019 - 12:10:56 AM
like this

Jimbeaux

Germany

265 posts since 5/24/2016

I don't really do it anymore, but it was something I frequently did when I didn't know many tunes. I thought it was a good way to practice something specific or to practice bringing music from your head to your fingers.

This was over a year ago ( think). Even Fujers (RIP) "liked" it.

I think I'll try to play it again see if it sounds better now.

Aug 15, 2019 - 12:17:03 AM
like this

Jimbeaux

Germany

265 posts since 5/24/2016

I really like everyone's original tunes. Carl, Bill & Randy, they're awesome!

Aug 15, 2019 - 9:59:54 AM
like this

Old Scratch

Canada

418 posts since 6/22/2016
Online Now

Gotta say I like all them tunes, too. Randy, Jim: good stuff!

Aug 15, 2019 - 1:35:10 PM
likes this

1215 posts since 4/6/2014

quote:
Originally posted by farmerjones

Sure! Do it all the time. A part of this tune and the B part of that tune. . . Bang Zoom, new tune! (Drives folks Crazy)

Then my second method of composition, is to play a tune I don't know very well, filling in the gaps or just skipping over them.. . . and Bob's yer Uncle, another new tune! (Drives folks equally Crazy)

Thing is, i know darn well that's how a lot of tunes got "written." Maybe i shouldn't name them. Like Hell Amungst the Yellow Poplars, or Greenback River.

Waltzes to me are the easiest. They kind of make themselves. There's only so much that can fit in a waltz. Hook, repeat, turn around, resolve. If they're still dancing, do it again. "What's the name of that one?" "That ones called the Throw Away Waltz."

i do it as well....Another way is to alter the mode from say Ionian to Mixolydian then throw in a b3rd every now and again add some drones/double stops shuffle bowing, cut out the rolls and triplets etc... and bang zoom instant Irish/Scottish to O/T conversion.... Also drives folk crazy.

Aug 15, 2019 - 1:39:13 PM
like this

15 posts since 9/17/2017

I've enjoyed listening to all they tunes. Thanks. I was inspired to record a couple of mine. Couldn't resist adding a little reverb. Does that invalidate it as old time? Didn't think up any catchy titles either. Not inspired by anything other than playing fiddle.

Edited by - indianajones on 08/15/2019 13:41:41

Aug 15, 2019 - 1:45:25 PM

7458 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by indianajones

I've enjoyed listening to all they tunes. Thanks. I was inspired to record a couple of mine. Couldn't resist adding a little reverb. Does that invalidate it as old time? Didn't think up any catchy titles either. Not inspired by anything other than playing fiddle.

I especially like the first part.. good cadence.!!

Aug 15, 2019 - 4:17:34 PM
like this

By gosh, i do have an example. Didn't think i did. Talk about your reverb, , hee hee

youtu.be/ilqNqKcpsOc

A shining example of ignorance! Just because you don't know how a tune goes 100% don't let that slow you down. When this happens you are on the cusp of either following somebody else's idea, or diverting and creating you own thing. Newbies are at an advantage in my opinion. Fiddle On!

Edited by - farmerjones on 08/15/2019 16:36:21

Aug 15, 2019 - 6:48:46 PM

15 posts since 9/17/2017

farmerjones - I think I heard Kitchen Girl in there, one of the 20+ bonafide fiddle tunes I know. I may not be using the term correctly but I think Kitchen Girl is what they call a modal tune?

You used natural reverb (ok) while mine was a modern high tech computer generated reverb (cheating). I'm interested in your fiddle bridge if you care to elaborate.

are we related?

Aug 15, 2019 - 7:14:49 PM

quote:

I'm interested in your fiddle bridge if you care to elaborate.

are we related?

That particular rig is an $80 SV80 (cremona) with a Barcus/Barry clamp to bridge transducer. The bridge itself started as typical blank. The amp is a Roland Microcube. 

Don't know of any kin in Indiana? I'm over in Iowa. I think if i was in Indiana, I'd look up Chirps Smith. 

Aug 15, 2019 - 7:59:46 PM

15 posts since 9/17/2017

quote:
Originally posted by farmerjones
quote:

I'm interested in your fiddle bridge if you care to elaborate.

are we related?

That particular rig is an $80 SV80 (cremona) with a Barcus/Barry clamp to bridge transducer. The bridge itself started as typical blank. The amp is a Roland Microcube. 

Don't know of any kin in Indiana? I'm over in Iowa. I think if i was in Indiana, I'd look up Chirps Smith. 

Yes, I don't know how to look up chirps but I am a very big fan of him and the volo bogtrotters.  He's a big reason I wanted to play fiddle in the first place.  He comes to Indiana Fiddlers Gathering about every year and either plays on stage on in the campground or both.  Trying to learn fiddle tunes has increased my appreciation of his skill.

I didn't realize you were playing thru an amp. 

How could 2 people with pseudonyms ending in jones not be related?  

Aug 18, 2019 - 3:13:03 PM

bsed

USA

3949 posts since 6/23/2007

The last tune I wrote was a pretty easy Irish jig, but I'll never be able to get anybody to play it with me because I wrote it in Bb. I just decided there weren't enough Irish tunes in Bb, so I made a contribution. 

But that's what floats my boat as a fiddler these days---playing in "off keys". I get kinda bored in G & D all the time.

Once I decided I was going to write a tune, it fell into place with both A & B parts in maybe a half hour or so.

Aug 18, 2019 - 6:30:04 PM

828 posts since 8/4/2011

I've only made up one fiddle tune. It's on my profile page, I believe. It's called"Miller Road." I need to make a new recording of though. I was quite green back when I recorded it.

Edited by - MOFiddlin on 08/18/2019 18:36:15

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories