Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

40
Fiddle Lovers Online


Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!
Jul 23, 2019 - 4:03:45 PM
91 posts since 8/12/2012

Does anyone know what kind of tuners are on this old fiddle? Just wondering where they came from, and if the are still made??


Jul 23, 2019 - 4:13:11 PM
likes this

Old Scratch

Canada

430 posts since 6/22/2016

Those look a lot like the ancient geared pegs that are on my fiddle. They have a little screw coming out the end that can, in theory, be tightened to hold the peg in place - I can't quite make out if yours have that feature or not. I would be surprised if they are still made, when the technologically-superior Perfection geared pegs are available.

Jul 23, 2019 - 4:16:58 PM
likes this

DougD

USA

9233 posts since 12/2/2007

I think those are Grover Champion pegs, or something similar:
elderly.com/products/champion-...n-peg-set

Jul 23, 2019 - 4:17:36 PM

Beardog

USA

91 posts since 8/12/2012

Yes, I figured they were probably ancient, and likely non-functioning. If so, I hope that I can replace them without too much trouble.. They are on an old fiddle that I bought today, sight unseen. I will see if I can find a different photo from the auction site.

Jul 23, 2019 - 4:19:25 PM

Beardog

USA

91 posts since 8/12/2012

quote:
Originally posted by DougD

I think those are Grover Champion pegs, or something similar:
elderly.com/products/champion-...n-peg-set


Yes!! HaHa! I never thought about looking at Elderly. I just started Googling "vintage violin tuners"! At least I can get replacements, if needed. Thanks!

Jul 24, 2019 - 7:15:30 AM
likes this

4122 posts since 6/23/2007

I have two fiddles, one with Wittner geared tuners and the other with Planetary geared tuners. I prefer the Wittner geared tuners.

I think geared tuners stay in tune better and are easier to use. The fiddle can lay in the case for days and when I take it out, it is either in tune or very close to being in tune. Weather fronts have no effect on tuning.

If you do change tuners. keep the original tuners. You never know what a buyer will want.

Jul 24, 2019 - 11:21:46 AM

Beardog

USA

91 posts since 8/12/2012

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Hauser

I have two fiddles, one with Wittner geared tuners and the other with Planetary geared tuners. I prefer the Wittner geared tuners.

I think geared tuners stay in tune better and are easier to use. The fiddle can lay in the case for days and when I take it out, it is either in tune or very close to being in tune. Weather fronts have no effect on tuning.

If you do change tuners. keep the original tuners. You never know what a buyer will want.


Thanks for the reply. I will keep the originals. I wonder what size Wittner or Perfection geared tuners I would need to replace the clunky ones shown above.....I don't have a caliper to measure the holes where the Grover Champions currently reside. I guess I will need to research the diameter of the Grovers, as the holes are at least that big.....

I will post a picture of the old fiddle and the stuff coming with it from the auction site. It may be a bust, but I got it for so cheap on an offer, that if I have to throw it out, no harm done. 

Jul 24, 2019 - 11:42:43 AM

Beardog

USA

91 posts since 8/12/2012

Here is a photo of all the "stuff" coming with the old fiddle. One old A gut string, the 4 old pegs, a tool that looks like perhaps an antique sound post setter, a fine tuner, some rosin, a bow tightening nut, and couple of other things that I really can't identify. Its still has the original key in the old GSB coffin case. I guess I could just put back in the old pegs with a good coating of Hill's peg compound, and put on a Wittner ultra composite tail piece, instead. I haven't read anything good about those Grover Champions.....


Jul 24, 2019 - 2:22:12 PM
like this

910 posts since 6/26/2007

Chances are not good that the old pegs will still fit. They look pretty bad anyway and probably the reason for the Grovers. I have one fiddle with old Grovers and they still work fine. If they seem to work OK, the only trick is to get the tension adjustments right. I would certainly not be in a hurry to change them. Of that type of pegs, my opinion is that the Grovers are better than most others and better than most old wood pegs.

Edited by - captainhook on 07/24/2019 14:24:04

Jul 24, 2019 - 2:36:51 PM

Beardog

USA

91 posts since 8/12/2012

quote:
Originally posted by captainhook

Chances are not good that the old pegs will still fit. They look pretty bad anyway and probably the reason for the Grovers. I have one fiddle with old Grovers and they still work fine. If they seem to work OK, the only trick is to get the tension adjustments right. I would certainly not be in a hurry to change them. Of that type of pegs, my opinion is that the Grovers are better than most others and better than most old wood pegs.


Thanks, Lyle. I have no doubt that you are correct!

Jul 30, 2019 - 7:40:48 AM
likes this

Beardog

USA

91 posts since 8/12/2012

I received the above mentioned fiddle yesterday. I very gently cleaned it up a bit, put up the sound post, put on a Wittner ultra composite tail piece, and strung it up. To my surprise, after tightening the screws in the Grover pegs, they work very well. I think that it is going to be a nice old fiddle. Old wood just smells and sounds good!




 

Aug 16, 2019 - 8:18:38 AM

7616 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by Beardog

Yes, I figured they were probably ancient, and likely non-functioning. If so, I hope that I can replace them without too much trouble.. They are on an old fiddle that I bought today, sight unseen. I will see if I can find a different photo from the auction site.


You Sound HANDY.. try replacing the washer/clutch material..and see how they work.

Aug 16, 2019 - 11:15:38 PM

2351 posts since 9/13/2009

Good point Lee.

The Grovers IIRC, are like banjo planetary tuners... it's just the right amount of friction makes them work (as mentioned adjusted by screw). They also have to turn easily, so careful not to over tight. They have some type of washer; leather, plastic, neoprene. Over time they can dry out, get worn, compressed, or become uneven. Their can also be some binding or catch/slip in the tuner from dirt, dried grease. All those conditions/issues are fairly easy to fix though.

Although they might look unusual, (and maybe add some weight)... the only real function they have is to tune (and keep in tune.  If they are in good shape should work just fine. 

Aug 17, 2019 - 1:26:55 PM
likes this

Beardog

USA

91 posts since 8/12/2012

The Grovers are actually working great, so like Lyle suggested, I am just gong to keep them for now. I have some good fiddles, but this might beat them all, for about 10% of the price. Even a blind hog occasionally finds an acorn! I was so impressed with it, that I paid my luthier (Little Rock Violin Shop) to go over the fiddle and do a professional set up for me. I just picked it up earlier today, and I am VERY happy with it. I have Prim strings on it, but I am tempted to try some "expensive" strings, since it seems to be such a good instrument. I have only used Prims and Helicores over the past few years on all my fiddles.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.2490234