Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2

Jul 26, 2019 - 4:49:43 AM
likes this

DougD

USA

9259 posts since 12/2/2007

Judy - I think you'll be fine, but without knowing the particulars of the sound system or even the microphone I can't give specific advice. Two things to check:
1. Does the mixer have phantom powee? Without it of course the mic won't work at all.
2. Does the mixer have input gain controls? Condenser mics usually have a higher output than dynamics, and its possible to overload the mic preamp and then the sound will be distorted.
If you're going to practice before the gig, do it with the sound system and check these things. If there's an input gain control there should be some "peak" LED indicator. Maybe the bass player could adjust this while the rest of you play - he can also check the blend of the instruments. If there's no control you'll have to use your ears - if it sounds distorted, using the pad in the microphone migh help (if it has one).
If there's no phantom, its still possible to use the one mic approach with a dynamic mic, even an SM58, although that's not the best choice. If you do use a 58, I'd suggest boosting the bass EQ a little and reducing the highs and mids very slightly, for a smoother sound. There are a few condenser mics that can use an internal battery if there's no phantom, but only a few.
Have fun!

Jul 26, 2019 - 6:02:21 AM
likes this

DougD

USA

9259 posts since 12/2/2007

PS - Some condenser mics that can run on an internal battery are the AKG C1000, and the Rode M3 and NT3. I have a couple C1000s that I use all the time, but oddly enough the one time when I really could have used that feature, due to a wet snake shorting out the phantom power, I forgot about it. Doubly odd since one of the performers had brought his own, and we were running it on batteries. Hard to overcome a faulty brain!

Jul 28, 2019 - 5:26:05 PM
likes this

spike

USA

27 posts since 2/16/2013

when I use to play out we usually got there early set up and did a couple songs while one of the members walked around to different parts of room if indoor same as out doors and he or she would tell us up or down the volume on each instruments and Mic's including more or less EQ on the Pa's sliders etc, getting every thing balance playing close is good may I add especially indoors once the room packs you may have to have a friend go around and tell you how your sounding if you need more volume on instruments and Mic's lot of factors effects sounds, have a great time play it pretty for them

Aug 20, 2019 - 2:58:36 PM

robinja

USA

1096 posts since 6/25/2007

Hi, all. I just wanted to report back that we did the gig on Saturday, and the sound system worked without a hitch. We had a little feedback when we first hooked everything up, but solved it by moving the condenser mic further away from the speakers. The caller threw us a curve ball by bringing his own wireless mic (he dances with the group while he calls), and that worked fine also. We had plenty of volume for the dance and were able to dial it down a bit for dinner music.

Thanks for all of the helpful information!

Judy

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories