Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2

Jul 21, 2019 - 9:38:08 AM
likes this

10361 posts since 9/23/2009

Lee, I'm gonna guess your secret weapon is a pet skunk! Y'all have a good time.

Jul 21, 2019 - 10:26:23 AM
likes this

59 posts since 11/24/2018

Anybody who is there right now, don't hesitate to upload videos, sound files , pictures etc!

Jul 21, 2019 - 10:32:49 AM
likes this

DougD

USA

9259 posts since 12/2/2007

Not too late for you to go, Peggy. Its not really that far, and it might change your life.
Billy, is the "mayor" Lynn Young? Hope he's OK.

Edited by - DougD on 07/21/2019 10:36:16

Jul 21, 2019 - 11:19:49 AM
likes this

Tyler94

USA

29 posts since 7/21/2019

quote:
Originally posted by DougD

Not too late for you to go, Peggy. Its not really that far, and it might change your life.

I just made this account which is why it's funny you should mention him! Lynn and I share the same hometown, and I've been taking lessons with him for a while now. The last I heard from him, he said he'd be at Clifftop.

Jul 21, 2019 - 12:48:08 PM

4275 posts since 9/26/2008

Lynn camps up on Geezer Hill, and he's one of the folks I spend my time with, Doug. Great guy (the whole lot of those at the Wild Turkey Camp are). Imagine my surprise seeing him in the Highwoods movie! He appeared in good health last year and I haven't heard otherwise. Tyler, we'll need to get some tunes in.

The Mayor is not even a musician, just a fan of the music who's been going to Clifftop for all but the first year (or something epic like that). He's called Phillip Holbert. He goes trout fishing the first few days with someone who's involved with the festival. I can't recall who.

Jul 21, 2019 - 12:49:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hoodoo

Anybody who is there right now, don't hesitate to upload videos, sound files , pictures etc!

No one is there yet. The doors don't open until Friday the 26th. I I'll try to get some video this year. 

Jul 21, 2019 - 12:53:35 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by TuneWeaver
quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan

Uuuuhhh, me.

Yep, I KNEW you'd be going.  You didn't even need to reply........Bring Bread..

I'll be baking bread, probably Monday or Tuesday. 

Delicious sourdough bread  From scratch. In a Dutch oven (or possibly the vendor's pizza oven if they will et my use it in the morning before it gets fired up to high temps). 

Jul 21, 2019 - 3:17:55 PM

7674 posts since 3/19/2009

quote:
Originally posted by groundhogpeggy

Lee, I'm gonna guess your secret weapon is a pet skunk! Y'all have a good time.

DANG.. You're ON to me..wink

Jul 21, 2019 - 6:27:13 PM
likes this

Well just a hunch because I thought I was gettin' the drift downwind, ya know...lol.

Jul 22, 2019 - 4:26:53 AM

Traveling makes me neurotic or else I'd be there...lol. Well, it ain't just traveling that does it, but traveling makes everything worse so i try my best to avoid it.

Jul 22, 2019 - 12:35:45 PM
likes this

robinja

USA

1096 posts since 6/25/2007

See y'all there. Sorry I haven't been here much lately - changed jobs and although mostly for the better, I don't have as much time for web surfing. We're camping at my husband's banjo vending tent this year (Deanocraft custom banjos) rather than making the long commute up the hill, lol. We'll be there Friday sometime and plan to just camp/jam/recreate until he officially opens for business on Wednesday. Stop by and say "Hi" and play a tune with us!

Judy

Jul 22, 2019 - 2:37:30 PM
likes this

I like the sound of that plan, Judy. See you soon!

Jul 26, 2019 - 6:22:37 AM

Within an hour, we were walking the trail and came across this critter. My wife heard it buzz (sounded like a cicada that was on the ground) and was 50 yards away before I could say "how far away do you have to be?" Shot a video, but it's on her phone so I can't upload right now. Apparently it's rare to actually see one in WV because they tend to stay in the woods.

Gates open in less than 3 hrs.

Jul 26, 2019 - 6:48:32 AM

DougD

USA

9259 posts since 12/2/2007

I guess you were close enough that it felt it should sound a warning. As far as "how far away do you have to be?" I'd say a few miles should be enough.
It's probably headed toward the campground cause it heard there'd be a lot of Vegan food there. I don't think they often crawl into sleeping bags though, but you might want to check.
Actually, they're very shy, and would rather not be near you either. Still, I wonder what wildlife might be prowling around a place like Clifftop. Probably too many people, and I've never heard any stories about raids by nuisance bears or anything.

Jul 26, 2019 - 7:13:08 AM
likes this

Actually, I think that Hillary Burhans had a bear in their garbage a couple of years ago..I'm surprised though that I've not heard anything about raccoons!!! They usually love campgrounds.

Jul 26, 2019 - 7:15:40 AM

I heard one bear story from a few years ago, and a couple of rattlesnake stories too. This one just made its way off the path and into the underbrush. We're camping in a teardrop 'tent on wheels' so I'm not too concerned about nighttime visitors.

Jul 26, 2019 - 9:03:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenMan

I heard one bear story from a few years ago, and a couple of rattlesnake stories too. This one just made its way off the path and into the underbrush. We're camping in a teardrop 'tent on wheels' so I'm not too concerned about nighttime visitors.

WHHAAAATTTT? You're not afraid that when you get out of bed at night, put your foot on the ground something will Grab you?  

Jul 26, 2019 - 1:47:01 PM

WOE IS ME.. I just found out that my 'secret plan' to get a good, flat campsite just fell through.. I had given a friend 100 feet of Caution tape to mark off a spot..Floyd..the BOSS made him remove the tape.. My friend obviously didn't tell Floyd that HARRY HARE was going to camp there.. Floyd likes Harry.. but...not enough.. We'll drive a little faster, stop a little less, and leave a little earlier..nothing more we can do.. There will be plenty of spots available I'm sure.

Jul 26, 2019 - 7:47:08 PM
likes this

bsed

USA

3981 posts since 6/23/2007

quote:
Originally posted by fiddlerjoebob

Disappointed to say that a rotator cuff impingement has stopped my fiddling cold for the summer. I’m working it out with therapy and a sweet 1907 banjo that doesn’t further damage my joinery. But, I can’t justify the drive to Clifftop if I can’t fiddle when I get there. I am sorry not to be able to meet some of you there, Lee, Chickenman and all. Next year.

I haven’t taken a break playing fiddle for well over 30 years. It’s strange.

A few years ago I was within a week of leaving for Clifftop.

We have a house with one of those pocket doors. It didn't always work smoothly (well, hardly ever). I just got tired of fighting with it. So this one time I figured I'd had enough and I gave it a good yank to shut it (I'll show it who's the boss). Except when the door quickly closed, I "forgot" to pull my left hand out of the way. I ended up breaking a finger. So much for going to Clifftop!

Edited by - bsed on 07/26/2019 19:48:13

Jul 27, 2019 - 3:22:45 PM
likes this

WyoBob

USA

21 posts since 5/16/2019

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler94
quote:

I just made this account which is why it's funny you should mention him! Lynn and I share the same hometown, and I've been taking lessons with him for a while now. The last I heard from him, he said he'd be at Clifftop.

Hi, Tyler.   He (and Christina) are headed that way as far as I know.   Hence, no OTJ in Sheridan on Tues. or OX Jam on Aug. 4th.  If he ever decides to stay home, I'm going to look into "fiddling" with him.   Pretty silly for a 72 year old with a rebuilt left wrist to consider learning how to fiddle, huh?  But, if Iive another 20 years, I might get as good as you are now!  Something to look forward to.smiley

Bob

Jul 27, 2019 - 9:58:31 PM
likes this

Tyler94

USA

29 posts since 7/21/2019

quote:
Originally posted by WyoBob
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler94
quote:

Hi, Tyler.   He (and Christina) are headed that way as far as I know.   Hence, no OTJ in Sheridan on Tues. or OX Jam on Aug. 4th.  If he ever decides to stay home, I'm going to look into "fiddling" with him.   Pretty silly for a 72 year old with a rebuilt left wrist to consider learning how to fiddle, huh?  But, if Iive another 20 years, I might get as good as you are now!  Something to look forward to.smiley

Bob

Well hey, Bob. Good to see you here! I'll miss jamming with you and the gang this next Sunday, but the Clifftop stories they bring back are worth it.

I'm also of the opinion that it's never too late to start fiddling. The fiddle never stops teaching, so you have to make the learning fun. You also give my skills too much credit, but thank you! wink

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories