Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2

Dec 17, 2018 - 8:21:04 AM

5 posts since 12/16/2018

quote:
Originally posted by leroyleroux

I have recently joined a band, and the sound guy is the guitar player. He is having a hard time getting to the fiddle sound that I am looking for. I play through a Baggs pickup, then through a Rane preamp/EQ, and I'm generally satisfied. I haven't played with this group much, and maybe it was the room (a very bad room), but it seemed that though I cut through everything else, it didn't at the time of the attack, but just a split second later. Maybe that's just how loud live music is supposed to work, but I've seen some pretty major shows in which this doesn't seem to be an issue with the fiddle. And I've played with groups before in which this didn't seem to be an issue.

My uneducated thought is that maybe there is too much reverb, but have been told that there is very little. The guitar player suggested that maybe a compressor would help...I know nothing about this. I get that it would keep my volume from extremes but not sure what else it would do for me.

Another thing, is that there seems to be a 'wavy' effect coming through. I'm not sure what would cause that either. If a compressor or something like that would help both issues, that would be great. I see that Baggs makes something, but all I have found is specific for guitar, but maybe like tuners that are labeled 'guitar' tuners, they work for me too.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Hey there, I apologize if I have made multiple attempts to reach out (Leroyleroux), I am unfamiliar with this website and am not sure the best way to contact you. I am looking for the sheet music to Wait So Long. Could you please email it to me? marym.johnston14@gmail.com 

Thank you!

Mary

Feb 4, 2019 - 11:32:46 AM

330 posts since 12/29/2008

I feel kinda dumb now, because the real issue was that my wireless transmitter was turned up to high, making my sound distorted when we'd turn it up to where it needed to be, especially on the low end. So, I think we are off of the compressor line of thinking. I asked a guy that I used to play with that is also a sound pro, kind of scoffed at the idea of a compressor too. Sometime he will watch us live to give me any advice.
And the Rane preamp you were discussing is the one that I use, I have had it awhile. My two acoustic fiddles have the Baggs pickups on, and for less than ideal conditions I will use a Hohner solid body, but I have no idea what that uses for a pickup.
Anyway thanks for the discussion. Sorry I have been away awhile, but I have been reading all of your comments and am taking it all in as I go.

Feb 9, 2019 - 11:22:12 PM

507 posts since 1/25/2012

quote:
Originally posted by leroyleroux

I feel kinda dumb now, because the real issue was that my wireless transmitter was turned up to high, making my sound distorted when we'd turn it up to where it needed to be, especially on the low end. So, I think we are off of the compressor line of thinking. I asked a guy that I used to play with that is also a sound pro, kind of scoffed at the idea of a compressor too. Sometime he will watch us live to give me any advice.
And the Rane preamp you were discussing is the one that I use, I have had it awhile. My two acoustic fiddles have the Baggs pickups on, and for less than ideal conditions I will use a Hohner solid body, but I have no idea what that uses for a pickup.
Anyway thanks for the discussion. Sorry I have been away awhile, but I have been reading all of your comments and am taking it all in as I go.

The best rule of thumb is to get the hottest signal you can from the pickup as soon as you can with a preamp, and then go from there. I use a very good, small 9v preamp like the Ehrlund or the Schatten Mini-pre and then go into a wireless unit. If you are not concerned with wireless freedom onstage, you can use the pickup with a cable and run to something like the FireEye Red Eye preamp on the floor for excellent sound. But you have to start with the best signal you can get, and then massage it with EQ, reverb, DI and whatever else you like to get the best live sound you can. Don't forget, also, that a lot of sound comes from the player and your time spent acoustically with you and the instrument in practice at home. Good luck!

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories