Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Fiddle Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2

Sep 29, 2019 - 7:35:01 PM

kurth83

USA

16 posts since 7/30/2019

viostrap is working for me: cheap and easy, not as much fun as making one yourself though.

Sep 29, 2019 - 10:33:12 PM
likes this

2169 posts since 8/23/2008

quote:
Originally posted by kurth83

viostrap is working for me: 

I did try a strap around my neck, very uncomfortable and irritating. 

Also, I could imagine my fingerboard popping off with how the strap fixed.

Edited by - buckhenry on 09/29/2019 22:34:54

Sep 30, 2019 - 3:20:24 PM
likes this

4 posts since 8/30/2017

quote:
Originally posted by pete_fiddle

i just persevered without a shoulder rest for a few months, (after trying 2 or 3 types, and pads and stuff), then everything seemed ok, not saying it's for everyone, but it's a starting point, (and a finishing point for me)......any old chin rest seems to do for me as long as it keeps my chin off the tail piece and the top of the fiddle

I put away my violin shoulder rest. Couldn't learn bowing with any shoulder rest; I've tried several styles, Kun, Everest, Viva, etc.  On the day I put away my shoulder rest, and started placing a microfiber handkerchief on my collar bone, I started learning bowing more easily! It felt like I've found a "freedom".  The violin sounds better without a shoulder rest, too, (at least to my ears).  I can feel the violin's vibration more intimately whenever I bow without a shoulder rest.  The teachers are not pleased with my decision to ditch the shoulder rest; (they rely on their shoulder rests to hold their violins). But they have admitted I could not learn to play violin any other way, so they let me be!  :)  (My kids, however, continue to use their violin shoulder rests as they prefer doing so.)

May 5, 2020 - 3:50:48 PM
likes this

67 posts since 4/7/2016

I am now using a Wickel Buckle with a Comford shoulder rest. That is working well for me. I expect to stay with this setup.

Edited by - chas5131 on 05/05/2020 15:55:43

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories