Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premiere Sponsors

106
Fiddle Lovers Online


Band in a Box Bluegrass and Old-Time Backing

Aug 12, 2017 - 5:26:22 PM
340 posts
Joined Jul 26, 2015

I've been on the site fbbts.com, and I've been told that their tracks were made using Band in a Box. What all would I need to purchase from Band in a Box to have the capability to make tracks like those, with the solos and whatnot, in Bluegrass and Old-Time style? Does the regular program include that stuff? I have original Bluegrass and Old-Time tunes tunes that I want to make tracks for, with breaks like that.

Edited by - soppinthegravy on 08/12/2017 17:27:15

Aug 13, 2017 - 7:57:14 AM

3959 posts
Joined Jun 23, 2007

I have "Band in a Box". You enter chord progressions, key, etc.. And, you select a "style". PGMusic sells what they refer to as "Realtracks" for different files. You will probably have to buy at least one "Realtrack" to create good sounding bluegrass backup. I can't comment on the availability of "Realtracks" BIAB style files for "Old Time" music. I am guessing that it may be more difficult to find styles for that type of music. No problem finding Bluegrass styles.

"Band in a Box" and "RealBand" (which comes with BIAB) can do a lot. Basic rhythm is easy, but you have to work harder to learn how to create your own additional embellishments for BIAB. For some types of music, it can be difficult to find a "Style" or "Realtrack" that you like. I purchasesd at least 3 "Realtrack" styles for Bluegrass.

Aug 13, 2017 - 8:43:47 AM
likes this

340 posts
Joined Jul 26, 2015

Which Realtracks dI'd you buy, and are yout satisfied with them?
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Hauser

I have "Band in a Box". You enter chord progressions, key, etc.. And, you select a "style". PGMusic sells what they refer to as "Realtracks" for different files. You will probably have to buy at least one "Realtrack" to create good sounding bluegrass backup. I can't comment on the availability of "Realtracks" BIAB style files for "Old Time" music. I am guessing that it may be more difficult to find styles for that type of music. No problem finding Bluegrass styles.

"Band in a Box" and "RealBand" (which comes with BIAB) can do a lot. Basic rhythm is easy, but you have to work harder to learn how to create your own additional embellishments for BIAB. For some types of music, it can be difficult to find a "Style" or "Realtrack" that you like. I purchasesd at least 3 "Realtrack" styles for Bluegrass.




Aug 13, 2017 - 1:02:06 PM

933 posts
Joined Aug 27, 2008

BIAB Realtracks are good, but the company doesn't sell them in one bundle. They're sprinkled over several different bundles of backing tracks so you can find yourself spending lots of money to get what you want, and a whole bunch more you probably don't want. It's a funny program. It is very good in some ways but the interface drives everyone crazy.

Aug 13, 2017 - 7:25:28 PM
likes this

3959 posts
Joined Jun 23, 2007

I have 3 bluegrass Realtracks styles -

_BGBAND8 - 8th Based

_BLUEGRSF - Fast Bluegrass with fiddle

_DOCBG F - Medium Bluegrass with fiddle

I ended up using the first Realtrack (BGBAND8) for just about everything. Band om a Box has a mixer panel where you can mute/control volume for each individual instrument in a file. So when I am playing an instrument, I either mute or reduce the volume for that instrument.

PGMUSIC has a forum for "Band in a Box". You can get answers by posting there. I don't know near as much about BIAB as many BIAB owners.

Aug 13, 2017 - 7:31:38 PM

340 posts
Joined Jul 26, 2015

I found a Realtrack set called "Old-Time and Celtic".

Aug 13, 2017 - 7:37:08 PM

340 posts
Joined Jul 26, 2015

Can you get them individually, or did you have to by larger bundles to get them?  

 
 
quote
:
Originally posted by Dick Hauser
 

I have 3 bluegrass Realtracks styles -

_BGBAND8 - 8th Based

_BLUEGRSF - Fast Bluegrass with fiddle

_DOCBG F - Medium Bluegrass with fiddle

I ended up using the first Realtrack (BGBAND8) for just about everything. Band om a Box has a mixer panel where you can mute/control volume for each individual instrument in a file. So when I am playing an instrument, I either mute or reduce the volume for that instrument.

PGMUSIC has a forum for "Band in a Box". You can get answers by posting there. I don't know near as much about BIAB as many BIAB owners.


Aug 13, 2017 - 7:58:11 PM

340 posts
Joined Jul 26, 2015

Is there a set that includes a Realtrack for slap or double-slap, upright acoustic bass? Example of desired playing style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siyt8gLXxQo

​The dream combo I'm looking for to back my fiddling is banjo and bass like on that recording, plus guitar like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SwInLwtNZY

I suppose that's how I'd play fiddle, if I had the ability. 

Edited by - soppinthegravy on 08/13/2017 20:06:13

Aug 14, 2017 - 8:04:50 AM

3959 posts
Joined Jun 23, 2007

I have never looked for anything other than Bluegrass, Irish, and popular North American music. PGMusic has samples of each style in their website. You can listen to them. Don't forget, BIAB has a mixer that lets you control volume for each instrument, and mute an instrument. If you study the software, and use RealBand, you can build customized styles for your own use.

The RealTracks are sold as a package. Their are alsoa lot of drum patterns available. You should probably post something asking if any "Old Time" fiddler is using BIAB, and if so, what they like/dislike. Maybe some "Old Time" fiddler has built some customized styles using RealBand. They might send you a sample or two. You can use BIAB to create a ".wav" file. They are O.K., but don't sound as good as the rhythm played by BIAB.

BIAB is very powerful. It demands a lot of computer power. It has "bugs", that are sometime bothersome, but don't stop you from using the software. PGMusic usually has a sale once a year, so I would keep my eye open for that sale. If you are willing to spend a lot of time studying the software capabilities, and asking questions, you can do a lot with BIAB,

Aug 15, 2017 - 7:47:56 AM

3959 posts
Joined Jun 23, 2007

soppinthegravy - send an email to FHO member "fujers".  He has made postings which give me the impression he is uses BIAB and RealBand often.  He could probably be the biggest RealBand user in the forum.

Aug 18, 2017 - 10:13:37 PM

340 posts
Joined Jul 26, 2015

The "melody" feature confuses me. Is it possible to make a Realtrack (not midi) soloist follow a melody? If, so, How is that done? It would be nice to have the instruments play my actual arrangements rather than just jazzing around the chords. quote:
Originally posted by Dick Hauser
 

I have never looked for anything other than Bluegrass, Irish, and popular North American music. PGMusic has samples of each style in their website. You can listen to them. Don't forget, BIAB has a mixer that lets you control volume for each instrument, and mute an instrument. If you study the software, and use RealBand, you can build customized styles for your own use.

The RealTracks are sold as a package. Their are alsoa lot of drum patterns available. You should probably post something asking if any "Old Time" fiddler is using BIAB, and if so, what they like/dislike. Maybe some "Old Time" fiddler has built some customized styles using RealBand. They might send you a sample or two. You can use BIAB to create a ".wav" file. They are O.K., but don't sound as good as the rhythm played by BIAB.

BIAB is very powerful. It demands a lot of computer power. It has "bugs", that are sometime bothersome, but don't stop you from using the software. PGMusic usually has a sale once a year, so I would keep my eye open for that sale. If you are willing to spend a lot of time studying the software capabilities, and asking questions, you can do a lot with BIAB,


Edited by - soppinthegravy on 08/18/2017 22:27:11

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories